News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

K-ONLINE GET TOGETHER (GTG) - 2008

Started by _Waziri_, December 31, 2008, 02:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Waziri_

It was around 3:15pm we arrived at the venue slated for the historic gathering. Myself, Nuruddeen and our Pakistani friend Dr. Khan. Initially we thought we were at the wrong place before I spotted Salisu Danyaro's(admin) car, then Muda who was ready to leave for a change after making the place ready for all. Okay, we were not at a wrong place rather but all were played into the phenomenon amira thought would occur earlier on, African time!

Then we sighted Prof. coming, thegood, another member, then EMTL + Dan-Borno, and a host of many interesting  personalities obviously some k-onliners and others, friends of k-onliners.

We then moved into the inner building, seated in a form of a round table setting even though there was not a table but thegood, another bakane, in the middle whom I suggested should maintain his position in case we finish with the rago early and are in need of another fleshy meat! ;) :) ::)

Gagannaka was set to anchor the occasion by introducing himself and subsequently others introducing themselves one by one as members were looked at twice whenever they mentioned their screen names. We cheered one another with merriment as we obviously remember the minor clashes that cross over our heads on the forums. There were members who betrayed the image others had of them while others appeared right on the target dream holes of the others. Those seeing me for the first time, like Dan-Borno and Bakan-Gizo were surprised to see that Waziri is indeed a young man in his very  late 20s, while I too was surprised to see some as appearing younger or older than myself. Do I mention them? They may not like it! ::)

Then came the paper presentations session that was meant to appear very less formal and casual as my detailing this proceeding here. Nuruddeen shared round what he called a discussion paper that talked majorly about the fact that Nigeria since independence did not achieve the goals of its creation and called for a national rebirth in the 21st century resting on the gathering the responsibility of coming up on this front with an audacity of hope, a clause he used probably in the gingering spirit of the victory of Barack Obama in the recent US presidential polls.

Then came the second paper presentation by our icon of humility, the ever magnanimous, EMTL, who asserted that looking at and around the society, k-online members can see the little little things they can do individually to help move our society forward. He spoke with live example from his childhood to adulthood how he was helped and how he has helped others moved on to conquer the beasts of living with insightful advices and words of encouragement. He ended also on the tone Yes, we can! I think another inspiration from Barack Obama.

After he submitted I noted that Prof. has been systematically and schemingly staring at the roasted rago over my shoulder and on the table and that he may have something to offer only after taking to fill his stomach. To this he objected by submitting that it is enough a food that Nuruddeen and EMTL have spoken giving us a food for thought for the day, reminding us of our responsibilities for ours and our yet to be born. He noted also that Nuruddeen was mostly idealistic and philosophical in his presentation which he believed was touring the line of establishing an NGO as Nuruddeen  believes years ago k-online should turn to. He also observed that EMTL's paper was most practical in approach but shifts the burden of societal progression on individual members and on their own. He further said that his conviction is in line with taking a very practical line of action so now the choice is between taking the line of EMTL, that is, going on individual action or suggesting a comprehensive mode of action that will require the input and commitment of all k-onliners on the process and on fair ground of transparency and sincerity of purpose.

At this point EMTL noted that we would need to serve our stomach with the rago, zogale, rama, latas da labsuru, dublam, alkaki, and the many deliciouses too numerous to mention, that graced the occasion, that we may clearly be able to see the transparency, and sincerity of purpose of the gathering!  :D :P

This is how we got to the eat in and eat out session of gathering that saw us to the serve yourself queue. At the end Dan-Borno, the efficient coordinator had to resort to begging people to go back to the table for the remains that was more than half of what was initially put on the table. :( :o :-X

While we were on the break we got busy interacting with one another as I went round on personal detail with each around. Some would mention the much they love k-online as others intending k-onliners would speak glowingly on why they believe they must join us online. This is the point also where Hajiya Husnaa called through her able representative's line, Muhsin and exchanged words with each and every attendee there. It took her about 20minutes. In fact I said only one or two words to her, feeling for her earned dollars! :)

After we were done we moved a little outside of the building for series of snapshots. The member who photographed us promised that even the smell of my scent will be felt when the pics are out online. ::) :o

Then we went back for the discussion as diso another k-onliner observed that the papers were well articulated and inline with what EMTL said he suggested that when giving advice to individual people there is the need for fair presentation since a negative presentation of ideas always repel the advicee.

EMTL: Thought that k-online should always come up with a position paper on burning issues raging the nation.

Nuruddeen
: Thought statistics as in those reflected in his paper, concerning life expectancy, poverty level and malnutrition can solve problems if appropriately deployed in fashioning out the basics of the NGO

Prof.
: Reiterated his position that will require us to map out an action plan that will be sustainable and addresses a well focused issue.

Salisu Danyaro: Suggested that every Saturday of the end of the year can be permanently slated for the GTG.

Kumo who is a friend of k-onliners asked about  the meaning of a national rebirth that was mentioned by Nuruddeen in his paper.

Nuruddeen: Emphasized that we have not had a national icon since the creation of Nigeria and as such we need to re-create something grand out of Nigeria.

BakanGizo : asserted that Nigeria is to broad for the focus of k-onliners and suggested that an itemized target projects can be produced on which k-onliners can contribute and accomplish each on a slated time. He further told how in the place of his work  they contribute alot in project target and project execution for the community they live in.

Here I expressed my fear that majority of k-onliners might be young people who may not necessarily have the means to finance any itemized project, citing example with Muhsin who at the introductory session confessed being a student.

To this many objected believing that some of these students truly have the financial means and sometimes more than those of us who have graduated and are working.

Then EMTL suggested that k-online can get to identify a beggar and pull him out of the beggary, help him through schooling till graduation. Or Identify  some few of them and empower them with money for business. He then said he has another alternative project but prefers that any other person should mention it.

At this point a certain Fatuhu who's a friend of k-onliners came in with the suggestion that instead of handing out money to a beggar for business we can set the business and put the beggar on it. Like selling recharge cards. This many noted is as good as giving the money to the beggar as the cards will eventually turn to cash.

Then, I drew the attention of the gathering that it is possible that the third project which EMTL did not mention should be the one that will mark Nurruddeen as an eligible bachelor and set to gather enough money to oction and marry him off for the lowest bidder! ;D ;D ;D ::) :D

To this all laughed as EMTL  said that there would be some occasion coming in Funtua, his hometown and he wishes to invite all when the time comes.

It was then noted that magrib was approaching and some of us were to travel far back to their home towns as such it was agreed that:

• 1.      A forum  subsection, named, From Debate to Action,  will be opened that will allow for kind debates on issues we believe should be acted upon by members of k-online.
    2.    This new forum should have moderators who will be there to line up area of agreement on issues discussed. They also should be eliminating unwanted posts.
    3.   That the GTG will be holding each last Saturday of the year on which day the decision on the discussed projects will be taken finally and modalities of implementation fashioned out.
    4.   That the GTG committee will still serve as the project execution committee (PEC) with the addition of BakanGizo for his experience in such dealings over time and EMTL for his ever increasing commitment for communal services.
    5.   That projects do not have to necessarily be carried out in Kano, that they can be done to and on other places across Northern Nigeria for now.

We then exchanged phone numbers and dispersed as everybody's face seemed fulfilled in spirit, having gathered, interacted, and solidly fashioned out something comprehensive and workable for the development of our people generally.

Thanks greatly and may we keep k-online and may k-online keep us on in the service of humanity in the interest of Islam and peace across the globe.

NOTE: In case I omitted something in my very informal way, any member can add to the thread in search for a well veracious presentation of what exactly transpired among us on that day.

Waziri

gogannaka

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Fateez

Hehehe! All very good accounts.

Sounds like it was a successful function.

Kudos to the organisers!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Lawwali

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( For the fact that i have been so busy and consequently awy from the forum for sometime, i just see the notification for the get together. It is indeed a Bold step in the right direction. Am feeling that a move has just been started to rid our society out of backwardness. am happy
it takes oppressed and oppressor for oppression to occur

mlbash

what a great opportunity i missed! i really wanted to meet the on-line gurus, well.......may be some other time. good account Mal Waziri.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Muhsin

Good job, Waziri.
I'll, inshaAllah, say more on that when I get back.
Thanks.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

We are still wating for the 'Debate to action' sub-section forum to be created.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on January 16, 2009, 07:03:06 AM

Oga Salisu,
You have to respond to our calls ASAP, pls. Its nearly a month since GTG took place and your promise made.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

alhaji_aminu

sallama,

its a shame really that i cudnt attend the gtg gathering as i was in Nija at that time. i am, however, gladdened by that fact that those who made it had all the fun to be had.  Meanwhile, Waziri's description of the event is so vivid i can actually picture what was going on.

say, where exactly did the gtg take place? am thinking british council, mm library? am i right or is it my imagination?

waziri had talked about debate to action; so if I may ask, has that section being created? lets not become politicians o- something we call, "wa'azi a baka" (you know preaching what we dont practice).

all the same, very good job guys and i hope to be present for d 2009 edition in Allah ya kaddara.

cheers

waduz

Goga, what was that? Debate to action?

EMTL

Quote from: waduz on January 26, 2009, 04:31:46 PM

Goga, what was that? Debate to action?

Assalamu alaikum,
During the GTG we discussed lots of societal problems we have in Nigeria and the North in particular. We agreed to come up with some actions, which we KNLIners could do to help solve some of these problems.
We were un-able to agree on exactly what to do but agreed to contnue the discussion at 'home'- that is online.
1. Can we help destitutes?
2. environmental sanitation
etc.

Do you hav any contribution, please?

May be we can come up with plausible solutions on growing number of divorcees and ever increasing number of zawar. I do not mean Admin, prof, waduz, GGK, BKG, DBN, Nura, waz, IBB, d/maigona, Muda, bajoga, Ajingi, Dan amar, Muhsin, Ibro2g, Bamalli, etc, etc., each marry one and reduce the number but lets look critically- perhaps our actions could stop the zanga-zanga.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Dan-Borno

Debate to Action:

here is my suggestion on this debate to action.
i am suggesting this forum to identify two (2) children
from the motherless home who are of primary school
age and sponsor their education at any of the boarding
primary school.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Interesting.
Nigeria, and the North in particular, needs to think seriously about the way forward. This is usually the job of politicians and their parties but it is probably true to say that very few political figures in Nigeria have contributed anything significant towards constructive planning for the future of the nation and its people.

The over-reliance of the Nigerian economy on oil revenues has to be remedied (particularly now that he price of oil has plummetted)and every state should be looking at progressive schemes that provide gainful work for its people using local conditions and advantages.
Nigeria has an abundance of natural resource and the current revenue to develop these. The huige northern plains are fertile and a potential bread basket for much of Africa. Those of you who have met me over the years on this site will know how highly I regarded Kano Governor Audu Bako's inspired plan to produce by the use of Tiga dam's irrigation potential huge amounts of fruit and vegetables for the world markets. Time for Kano State to think big along these lines again. Given the right conditions there are huge multi-national processors who would move into partnership tomorrow on such programmes.

The point about beggars is well made. Giving beggars money persuades them to remain beggars. Giving them the means to earn money is the best way forward.
maigemu

EMTL

Assalamu aiakum,
Now from above two proposals:

1. Sponsoring two children (orphans) to attend primary boarding school
2. Providing capital to two beggars

having identifed 'un-stable marriages' as being problem in kano, etc. can we start a massive campaign to solve this problem:

1. print some pharmplets (in hausa and ajami) highlithing the problems and solutions,
2. reaching out to religious leaders and encouraging them to dedicate say a month in Froiday sermons, etc, on the topic,
3. sponsoring adverts in, to start with, Radio stations?

This might cost may N100,000.

Dan barno,
Please advise us on the cost of these primary boarding schools(per child per annum)

How much capital can we offer the two beggars, and what will be the basis of selection and monitoring to ensure that the money given is used for that purpose?
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Dan-Borno

your royal highness, ai your suggestion on the rampant cases
of divorce is highly welcome and i strongly endorse it, considering
how its affecting our society. 

I therefore support the motion and lets swing into action please.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak