News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Mamman Ali's brother now Deputy Governor

Started by usman11, January 29, 2009, 10:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usman11

A  new deputy governor for Yobe State, has been named. He is Adamu Bello Ali, a younger brother of the deceased governor of the state.
Bello Ali emerged through an intervention by elders in which the decision to compensate the family of the late Senator Mamman Bello Ali who died on Tuesday in Florida, became imperative.
Earlier, Hon Baba Gishiwari Yusuf had been pencilled down for the job. His nomination followed the sentimental excuse that he happens to be the only National Assembly member from the state that remained loyal to the late governor to the end.
Hon. Yusuf represents Fika/Fune Federal Constituency.
Meanwhile, Adamu Bello Ali was sworn in at 6pm yesterday in Damaturu, the Yobe State capital

Culled from  Leadership online

Comments:
Is this democracy or what?
These confusionists, by whatever name  -elders or chiefs or imams, or  Emirs or "stake-holders" ; ought to know that they have created a very dangerous, and therefore undesirable precedence by what they have done here.
In a democracy; room for succession is ALWAYS made beforehand, in the laws of the democratic entity - be that entity a nation, a state, or municipality;  OR an election conducted to fill such a vacancy where there is no clear order of succession in the books.
These people, by their acts are not only rubbishing the government of the people, by the people, and for the people; they are creating avenues for discord and conflict; and for the death of DEMOCRACY in Nigeria.
They may as well  have re-instituted  their FEUDAL System of governance; which had been discredited by the corruption hithhereto practiced  in Nigeria; and by the  dictatorial rule of Arab countries. This is the time for the so-called legislatures - Yobe State and National -   to nip this discordant and dysfunctional  state of affairs in the governance of Yobe State; in the bud. Where the constitution of Yobe state has been at  fault (should that be the case here); the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria SHOULD step in; to assure Peace, Progress, and Stability.
'Npko ama anam eyen; anam ibuo' - the Nigerian nation IS at risk of undemocratic rule and dis-integration; if the Rule of Law is allowed to be trampled upon with such impunity, as seems to be the case here !
OduduAbasi
DFW
Ibom forum.net

usman11

Having read the above article, a question came to my mind. Is the post of deputy Governor by appointment or election? I am not sure what the Yobe state constitution prescribes in situations like this.

HUSNAA

It should be by election or at best by concensus amongst the members of the Yobe House of Assembly ( I suppose). Certainly not by elders' intervention or some other sentimental reason. To me personally, choosing the brother of the late governor to become deputy governor so as to 'compensate' the family of the late governor for his demise amounts to challenging why the governor should die at all. It is also implying that the family of the governor have been 'cheated' of the goose that lays the golden egg or something like that.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dan-Borno

thank God a different thread was started epecially for this
topic which disturbs me the most.  similar incidence happened
in maiduguri when the borno state secretary to the state
government died in 2005, his son abdulrahman terab was
immediately nominated a commission to 'compensate' the
terab family.

i tried to figure out what is happening, but it seems in naija
we have our own way of doing things different from the whole
world and that is why we draw attention wherever we go, its
seems its in our blood.

when the late yobe governor came to power, this guy is a
level 12 officer in the public service, he was immediately promoted
to the level of a permanent secretary within the 1 1/2 years of
his senior brother stewardship.  i dont know the family's contribution
towards realising democracy in nigeria or yobe state that they deserve
compensation.

U11, as with regard to your question, no matter the democratic
processes of nominating the deputy governor, its the same thing
as 'only' the governor can do or undo in the state, since the state
house of assembly are dancing to his music, so if he suggest that so
be nominated as deputy governor, i doubt much if any can raise a
reasonable objection - its a one man show.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

usman11

Dan Borno, I think part of the problem with our society is that we simply accept whatever is shoved down our throats. I believe you when you said it is a one man show, and that the state house of assembly rubber stamps the governor's decision. However, people in the state can make their voices head by challenging decisions that fail to follow due process, and by taking a strong stance when the constitution is breached. My condolences to the deceased and his family, however, the constitution must be preserved and its intergrity kept intact in all matters of state.
I completely disagree with the idea of compensating the family of the deceased by appointing the brother as deputy governor. Mamman Ali passed away sadly due to an illness. This is unfortunate, but it is a fact of life. The state also has several other public servants that may at some point pass away due health reasons. What then? Appoint their brother's to a significant state office for compensation?
It is about time this country really made the effort to just do things the proper way for a change. I know there is the ever present desire to stick soiled fingers and manipuate the democratic process to attain a desired outcome, but in the end, it throws us back several years, and diminishes us further. People in Yobe state should question the basis of this appointment.

Dan-Borno

yauwa malam usman, its good you brought this to light when
you said that its time people challenge decisions that fail to
follow due process.  though we are in a democractic dispensation,
but the way things are going on is no different than in the
days of the military.

a politician who voiced out will be assasinated
a public servant who refused to cooperate will be retired or
redeployed and in most cases demoted
a professional who challenged government will be
seen as acting on sponsorship and will be disregarded
a student who tries to challenge government will be expelled
from institution
a religion cleric who points his fingers at government bad policies
will be whized by the SSS
a common man protesting on the street will meet the almighty
tear gas and rubber bullet of the police
a business man who dares government, his containers at the port
will be seized forever
if an international organization speaks on our behalf - it doesnt
hold water, the minister of information will immediately appear
on CNN or the local tv station.

government has already instilled that fear on people, no more hope
when you run to the nigerian police, same thing when you report
to all the security organizations - the system has decayed, i believe
may be only when a revolution takes place - not the silent one.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

usman11

Lol, it sounds like a completely hopeless situation Dan Borno. And this is exactly what the leaders want people to believe so they can maintain their stronghold on the public. Ok, if a revolution is what is what it would require to oust these people, what are you guys waiting for? Begin one.

Sani Danbaffa

It beats my immagination that Borno people learned and deeply rooted in culture as they are would be involved in twisting our beloved democracy! God forgive late Waziri of politics without biterness. Kai one wonders how  ??? in maiduguri when the Borno State SSG was replaced by his son upon his demise in 2005 and now a serving legislator replaces his late governor brother! Borno you have withdrawn a strong hand from a higher calling and dwarfed him into a second fidel. One only hopes he would not get involved in murky politics that might spoil the show for both him and the families both in Borno and the greater North. May God forgive senator Mamman Ali and grant us the fortitude to bear his loss. I personaly view him as a humble person due to a direct pesonal contact we had briefly last year abroad. :-X
Seek knowledge to be usefull to the society, help and spread happiness.

Dan-Borno

Quote from: usman11 on January 30, 2009, 05:46:10 PM
what are you guys waiting for?

Usman11 - when you lead, we will follow.

Quote from: Sani Danbaffa on January 30, 2009, 08:27:32 PM
God forgive late Waziri of politics without biterness.

sune suka fara bata siyasar borno da arewa gaba daya.

Quote from: Sani Danbaffa on January 30, 2009, 08:27:32 PM
May God forgive senator Mamman Ali and grant us the fortitude to bear his loss. I personaly view him as a humble person due to a direct pesonal contact we had briefly last year abroad. :-X

he is indeed a very good man, Amen to your prayers.