News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Fraud

Started by Dave_McEwan_Hill, February 10, 2009, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_McEwan_Hill

An email I received today. This sort of stuff emanating from fraudsters in Nigeria is being distributed daily across the world and is giving Nigeria a bad name

Dear beloved,
Due to the sudden death of my husband General Sanni Abacha the former head
of state of Federal Republic of Nigeria in June 1998, I have been thrown
into a state of anybody within my country.

I got your contacts through personal research,and had to reach you through
this medium concerning my status here. I will give you more details when
you reply. Due to security network placed on my daily affairs I cant visit
abroad so that is why I have contacted you to assite and partner with me
and my Son Mohammed to invest some of our funds abroad.

My husband deposited some funds with an investor,whose name is witheld for
now till you communicat and let me know how serious and willing you are to
handle this issue for me and my Son Mohammed.

I will be happy if you can handle this funds and keep it safe I assure you
something good out of the funds in return for your assistance, while you
will be assisting us in setting up a lucrative business in your country or
anywhere in the world which will be under your supervision with the
remaining balance of the fund,since we cant move out of the country for
security reason with the government.

I will need your telephone/mobile numbers so that we can commence
communication. and your full contact informations.

Sincerely Yours,
Hajia Mariam Abacha
Email: mariamabachait@gmail.com

maigemu

usman11

I wonder why anyone would still fall for this nonsense. Their scam has been exposed all over the World, yet the ignoramuses are still sending out 419 emails. How funny!!!!
A british guy even dedicated himself to exposing 419ers. Check out his link

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm

HUSNAA

Quote from: usman11 on February 10, 2009, 09:42:22 PM
I wonder why anyone would still fall for this nonsense. Their scam has been exposed all over the World, yet the ignoramuses are still sending out 419 emails. How funny!!!!
A british guy even dedicated himself to exposing 419ers. Check out his link

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm

I receive on average about two to three every single day. I never open them, just throw them in the rubbish bin.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Husnaa, do not wonder in people falling in such nonsensities, so far there is life, greedness would always artribute!!!
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

HUSNAA

I have a phobia of ebanking and all sorts of financial transactions across the net. I dont do so as far as I can help it. When I become as rich as Bill Gates or the richest man in the world currently, then one can do as much e-filching and stealing as one wishes from what will be almost an open source account (hahahahaha!!!!) put out by me as I wont fill the pinch. Right now when every Kobo counts? I dont think so.......... ;D ;D ;D

Dan-Borno

yes auntyn muhsin, this ebanking of a thing is seriously messing
things.  my wife received some money transfer via her accounts
for an urgent issue, she tried withdrawing them from the atm -
amma ina, the machine only told her thank you for banking with
us without any cash backing.  for two weeks the bank could not
do anything.   Bakangizo ko akwai wani karin bayani?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

HUSNAA

You know DB, a nation that cannot supply electricity to its citizens even 10% of the time, has no business engaging in e banking. It needs electricity 1000% of the time.

Dan-Borno

yeah, thats exactly another problem faced by our federal
workers who after introducing online payment of salaries
have not been able to receive their january salary up till
date as reported on NTA.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Nuruddeen

Quote from: Dan-Borno on February 11, 2009, 04:57:58 PM
yeah, thats exactly another problem faced by our federal
workers who after introducing online payment of salaries
have not been able to receive their january salary up till
date as reported on NTA.

My dear Dan Borno, the problem with Naija is multidimensional as I often say, we are good at bringing new ideas without proper study of the after effect. May God save those civil servants.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

usman11

Nurudeen, you are absolutely correct. Nigeria loves to jump on board any innovation without properly researching things and taking into acount if the existing infrastructure can effectively support the technology or innovation they are investing in. Like Husnna said, if the country cannot provide such a basic thing as electricity, what is the point of dabbling into a technology that relies so much on stable electricity, computer software and hardware? We like putting the cart before the horse in everything. Rather than focusing on rebuilding the foundation of everything, we just want to keep building on crumbled foundations and advertising that as success. This is why everything fails immediately they become functional. But hey, they government could careless. The so called Satellite program they invested in and outsourced to China is a total wash. No one has given any account of that failed program. Year in and year out, it is the same mediocrity. Dan Borno, Husnna, Lawwali, Myself, Muhsin, and co. what are you guys doing sitting down and watching your country sink further down the dustbin of mediocrity? Why are you guys not revolting and taking over? I really want to know....is it fear? Is it lack of motivation? Or are you guys just comfortable and as such, not concerned.

na wah O!

Lawwali

.................... Dan Borno, Husnna, Lawwali, Myself, Muhsin, and co. what are you guys doing sitting down and watching your country sink further down the dustbin of mediocrity? Why are you guys not revolting and taking over? I really want to know....is it fear? Is it lack of motivation? Or are you guys just comfortable and as such, not concerned.
[/quote]

LOL  ;D Usman11, Just like Nuruddeen said "Nigeria's problem is multidimensional" so it requires a multi dimensional solution. We cannot say we folded our arms watching our country decying into the Dustbin of mediocrity. I know that we needed awareness, on my own i took responsibility of telling whoever cares to listen that we have a BIG problem but it's not unsolvable (as may lost hope). We only need to sacrifce. I always emphasises to my listeners that, those countries we are cherishing to migrated to also passed through the same or worst scenario, but with the sacrifice of their ancestors today they are what they we sees. We have problem of leadership, our leadership is as irresponsible as the word itself. Forinstance, The M.D of power Authority in Nigeria (PHCN) announced that, "Due to their resolve to entranch fiscal responsibility, all staff of the Authority are banned from using power generators at their Homes and offices", You know why? so that they stand to their responsibilities as power providers. Now, conversely, the Nigeria's president, His excellent excellency, chief, Alhaji, malam Umaru Musa 'Yaradua, has budgetted N2,000,000,000.00 (Two Billion Naira) for Disiel for the generators of the ASo Villa (seat of Govt) for 2009 fiscal year. what will You call this Usman11?

To me, our problem is leadership
it takes oppressed and oppressor for oppression to occur

Muhsin

Attention
Friday, February 13, 2009 1:51 PM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "General Ban Ki-Moon." <mrandersonjohn61@yahoo.com.hk>
Add sender to Contacts To: eng_novelist@yahoo.ca
我有新的電郵地址!
你現可電郵給我:mrandersonjohn61@yahoo.com.hk

- Attention:

Friend, How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?, You may not understand why this mail came to you.We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 4 days ago with the then secretary to the UNITED NATIONS. This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of((US$ 450,000 FOUR HUNDREND AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS)) .This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc.We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this have been agreed upon and have been signed.You are advised to contact Mr Jim Ovia of our paying center in Africa, as he is our representative in Ghana, contact him immediately for your Cheque/International Bank Draft of ((US$ 450,000 FOUR HUNDREND AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS)) This funds are in a Bank Draft for security purpose ok? so he will send it to you and you can clear it in any bank of your choice.Therefore, you should send him your full Name and telephone number your correct mailing address where you want him to send the Draft to you.Contact Mr. Jim Ovia immediately for your Cheque:Person to Contact: Mr Jim Ovia Email:mrjimovia1960@gmail.com Thanks and God bless you and your family. Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Bank Draft.Making the world a better placeRegards,Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon. http://www.un.org/sg/

I had never seen such a madness in all my born days. Who on God's earth would believe the bloody bastard was really the Ban Ki-Mon? Who the hell would ever be succumbed? Hahaha... Well I don't know. :o
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

LOL,Muhsin that is the funniest scam mail i have seen. lol ban ki moon...muahahaha.

Anyways,if any one recieves a mail from interswitch asking you to verify your ATM details then PLS don't cos its a scam.
A friend's friend actually fell victim to this scam and he gave hs pin online. They were together when a text (mobile debit alert) came to his phone and he was notified that N5000 has been debited from his account. The poor guy had N25,000 in his account. Immediately he read the text he quickly stood up to rush to the bank but before he could even start his bike he heard tweet tweet,tweet tweet,another debit alert, this time around N20,000 was debited from his account, Haka nan yayi asara.
So please be careful. The real interswitch website is www.interswitchng.com.
The fraudulent one is interswitch.com.
The letter come like this:

Attention Card Holder,

This is to notify you that our services are being upgraded to a new, better and more secured system . You are now required to CLICK HERE and register all your DEBIT CARDS, X-CHANGE CARDS, and CASH CARDS online IMMEDIATELY so as to enable your card to work on our new servers. Only registered cards will work with the ATM machines.

Note that in order to continue using your card for ATM transactions, you MUST register your card(s) online IMMEDIATELY BY CLICKING HERE .If you do not register your ATM card(s) immediately, you will no longer be able to use your cards with the ATM machines or for ATM transactions and your card(s) will be cancelled or terminated.

Adhere to this instruction on receiving this message and click here immediately to register your card. Our goal is to satisfy all our customers need.

InterSwitch Nigeria Limited

Copyright©2009. InterSwitch Limited. All Rights Reserved
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

HUSNAA

Poor guy! Allah Ya mayar masa daa abinda yafi haka.
The best way to beat these scammers is to never transact without verifying mails are from the proper sources. TELEPHONE to find out! That is the only way. On the other hand always delete without opening.

bakangizo

Quote from: Dan-Borno on February 11, 2009, 10:18:22 AM
yes auntyn muhsin, this ebanking of a thing is seriously messing
things.  my wife received some money transfer via her accounts
for an urgent issue, she tried withdrawing them from the atm -
amma ina, the machine only told her thank you for banking with
us without any cash backing.  for two weeks the bank could not
do anything.   Bakangizo ko akwai wani karin bayani?

The only thing for her to do is to keep pressure on the bank. It is unfortunate but the reality is that the response time by banks for such complaints is very poor. My colleague had the same problem when he wanted to use his ATM card some time ago. The machine failed to dispense the cash but his account was debited. This happened november last year, but he only got his money back last week.