News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

grammar sentences

Started by hausababy, March 01, 2009, 10:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

Quote from: Dan-Borno on March 13, 2009, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on March 12, 2009, 05:45:37 PM
Aunty Husnaa da DBorno, over to you. Hausababy had raised some serious, if somewhat tricky, observations.
hausababy go look for a hausa professor. We are just lay ppl where the grammar is concerned. Never learned Hausa in a formal manner.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

bakangizo

hausababy, like Husnaa said, you are going about this in a too formal way. You don't learn to speak a language like hausa by attempting to strip every single word/sentence, verbs, nouns etc. Just like other languages, hausa a lot of words have more than a single meaning, depending on the context the speaker/writer intends to use the word.

hausababy

I would like to find a Hausa professor however there aren't any Hausa speakers that I know of here in Hawai'i.  I was hoping that maybe someone here knew a bit about grammar.  I apologize if the queries I posted come off as a bit too formal.  I hope someone here can answer the questions I listed...  In the meantime though I will continue to search for a Hausa professor.  At least I received some corrections here regarding my initial sentences.  That alone is better than nothing.   :P

P.S. - LOL! I didn't mean to single out Husnaa and Dborno.  I only mentioned them since they were the ones who posted corrections. :)

hausababy

hi all again, I have been working on my Hausa on and off lately but I have a quick question.  I am aware that there are two ways to write Hausa.  Romanization and via the Arabic script (ajami).  I would much rather use the Arabic script instead of Romanization.  Is this ok or will do I have to use romanization only?  thanks!

HUSNAA

It would be very nice if you could use Ajami. That was the original way of writing Hausa anyway. Unfortunately it is rarely used these days. There used to be some Hausa newspapers written in Ajami some yrs back. A revival is highly in order and very much welcomed. We Hausas need something to call our very own.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

hausababy

I have found a native Hausa speaker that has agreed to answer the questions that I posted on the second page of this thread regarding the corrections I received about my original Hausa sentences.  I asked her whether she used boko or ajami and she said boko but didn't know what ajami was.  I told her and she said that she is going to attempt to answer all the questions and put the text in ajami.  I'm going to try and help her since I can already read and write the Arabic script.  If you like, once we finish transferring the text into ajami, I can post the resulting text here.  One problem I foresee is that I will need to find Ajami fonts to use to type Ajami in MS Word.  Does anyone know where such fonts can found?  I will continue to look and post here if I find any.