News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Nigeria listed amongst Religiously intolerant nations

Started by usman11, May 19, 2009, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usman11

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A U.S. government panel listed 13 countries Friday as "egregious" violators of religious freedom.

Homeless Pakistani Christians protest last month in Islamabad for protection of Christian minorities.
The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom's annual report named Myanmar, North Korea, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, China, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam.

It recommended that the Obama administration designate them as "countries of particular concern" or CPC.

The group has issued a watch list that includes Afghanistan, Belarus, Cuba, Egypt, Indonesia, Laos, Russia, Somalia, Tajikistan, Turkey, and Venezuela, countries that don't rise to the level of a CPC but need to be monitored.

"Unfolding events in Pakistan make clear the relevance of this theme to the 2009 Annual Report. At the time of writing, emboldened Taliban-associated extremists had advanced to within 60 miles of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad," the report said.

"In the areas they already control, these groups are imposing draconian restrictions on human rights and religious freedom and engaging in brutal acts against individuals, particularly women and local police, who refused to accede to their repressive policies."

The federal commission is bipartisan, and its commissioners are appointed by the president and members of Congress.

A CPC designation gives Secretary of State Hillary Clinton "a range of specific policy options to address serious violations of religious freedom."

It requires the secretary "to enter into direct consultations with a government to find ways to bring about improvements in the respect for religious freedom."

The report covers the period May 2008 through April. The commission was created by the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998.

"While sanctions are a possible policy option, the secretary may decide to develop a binding agreement with the CPC government on specific actions that it will take to end the violations that gave rise to the designation or take a commensurate action," the commission said. "The secretary may determine that pre-existing sanctions are adequate or waive the requirement of taking action in furtherance of the Act"

Muhsin

Usman11,

You're really a wonderful fella. You're keenly interested on religious affairs. But can you remember of a time when you pronounced that you are (or were?) not a religious person? Or that was then and this is now, eh?  ;D

Regarding this so-called list by U.s; it came to me without an ounce of surprise considering U.S foreign policy and relation with these countries listed. Hence, the thread deserve no much comment, at least from me.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: Muhsin on May 21, 2009, 11:42:15 AM
Usman11,

You're really a wonderful fella. You're keenly interested on religious affairs. But can you remember of a time when you pronounced that you are (or were?) not a religious person? Or that was then and this is now, eh?  ;D

Regarding this so-called list by U.s; it came to me without an ounce of surprise considering U.S foreign policy and relation with these countries listed. Hence, the thread deserve no much comment, at least from me.

Wannan gaskiya ne Muhsin. Kwana biyu. I am actually busy these days; trying to tidy up my paper for presentation at Tangier, Morocco, June 3rd.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Muhsin

Kwana biyu, wallahi. I wish I could attend and listen to your hope-to-be wonderful paper presentation, Nuruddeen. I pray to the Almighty; may He ease the task for you. Hope you'll have an erudite, scholarly and satisfactorily presentation.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Fateez

I dunno what they based their evaluation on but I must admit that Nigerians are

quite religiously intolerant. Although you can't point a finger at any particular group

because from my personal experience, it swings both ways. Many Christians are

intolerant of Islam. Many Muslims are intolerant of Christianity. Many denominations

within Christianity are intolerant of each other! I went to school with a girl who was

a Cele --> the ones that wear white to church and don't wear shoes as the path to

church is a holy ground. The poor girl was treated really badly in school by her "fellow"

Christians.

I'm very suspicious of this list because I think whoever came up with it is terribly biased!

It's just like Muhsin mentioned. I think by "religion" they narrowed it to christianity alone. 

Apart from Russia, how can they not have ANY EUROPEAN country? After all everyone

knows how difficult life is for Muslims in Europe! Especially Western/central europe! You

can't call Nigeria religiously intolerant without mentioning European Islamophobia!

Very fishy article!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Muhsin

Very fair input, Fateez.

Your mention of European Islamophobia  reminded me of the French and English girls' cases, who were both disallowed to wear hijabs (an Islamic veil) when going to their schools. I can vividly remember as their I learned of the blended word "hijabophobia". What is this?