News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Abacha's Son Set to Join PDP

Started by maxsiollun, June 24, 2009, 11:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

I am not justifying Sani Abacha's actions what ever they might have been. I am just giving him the benefit of the doubt, since inevitably we cannot deny that some good came out of his regime, what ever other horrid actions might have been attributed to him. Besides, since he was a military man, you must expect him to act likewise, which means harsh measures etc. What I am saying is that most of what was attributed to him were not carried out by him perse. Yes he signed the death warrant of Ken Saro Wiwa no doubt and one or two other things. But I cant believe all the alleged heinous actions were committed by him or if not, with his full knowledge.
Yes u can say one of Sani Abacha's failings were probably as a parent since he couldnt bring his kids under his jurisdiction effectively. However I still maintain it was due to illness. There were other factors of course like an imperious other half and so on.....
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

nasr19

Salaamu alaikum!
As a newbie, I must say that from what I've read in the various fora so far, this is a great place to be! I found myself following the various threads day in day out and finally can't help registering.

The depth of the discussions is impressive and quite informative too.

I found myself swayed between Husna and B/Gizo on this thread. As a benefactor of Abacha's PTF (yes, a contractor, no less!) I've always had a soft spot for him and totally agree with Husna. I may be accused of not being objective but I believe that Abacha meant well for this country and approached this with a military mindset with its inherent short-comings...

While Mohammed has every right to aspire to any political position, we can only blame ourselves for our never-ending complacence and gullibility which emboldens people with no proven capabilities other than dubious riches to vie for our leadership. Well, we'll continue getting the leadership we deserve. There goes the vicious cycle...

maxsiollun

Mohammed Abacha is a controversial character not just because of his father or any articles in the southern press. Mohammed was charged with very serious crimes:

1) He was accused of torturing opponents of his father and was charged as an accessory to the murder of MKO Abiola's wife Kudirat. These are not just mere press speculations but were based on specific testimony given by victims and witnesses who specifically identified him as a culprit. The other co-defendants also alleged that they acted under orders from Mohammed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/oct/13/chrismcgreal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/oct/29/chrismcgreal

The above are press links to some of the very serious allegations against Mohammed. Not written by southern papers, but by foreign papers.

2) Mohammed was accused of massive corruption and of literally using the CBN as his personal bank account.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01/indexn2_html?pdate=220309&ptitle=Sordid

Dan-Borno

let the truth be told, i will not endorse even a councillorship
position for the abatcha family, especially muhammad, as max highlighted
it is everywhere in the news and record of his past involvement
in so many atrocities, this will always remain fresh in our minds
especially when he sits on a public office.  the bottom line of the
argument is that we should not vote for him nor babangida's
son, this challenge goes to kano and niger states
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

Quote from: HUSNAA on July 02, 2009, 08:37:57 PM
I am not justifying Sani Abacha's actions what ever they might have been. I am just giving him the benefit of the doubt, since inevitably we cannot deny that some good came out of his regime, what ever other horrid actions might have been attributed to him. Besides, since he was a military man, you must expect him to act likewise, which means harsh measures etc. What I am saying is that most of what was attributed to him were not carried out by him perse. Yes he signed the death warrant of Ken Saro Wiwa no doubt and one or two other things. But I cant believe all the alleged heinous actions were committed by him or if not, with his full knowledge.

You see the point I'm trying to make? ;D You are ready to give Abacha the benefit of doubt, but not Mohammed. You claim you can't believe Abacha committed all the heinous actions attributed to him. But you've already more or less believed Mohammed committed his share of the alledged crimes. I know everyone has the right to like or dislike someone, but most a times our sentiments play a great part in how we judge people, thereby preventing us from being objective or fair to them. For you I understand, 'cos you said he was accused of torturing someone you knew. Sorry.

Quote from: maxsiollun on July 03, 2009, 04:19:27 AM
Mohammed Abacha is a controversial character not just because of his father or any articles in the southern press. Mohammed was charged with very serious crimes:

1) He was accused of torturing opponents of his father and was charged as an accessory to the murder of MKO Abiola's wife Kudirat. These are not just mere press speculations but were based on specific testimony given by victims and witnesses who specifically identified him as a culprit. The other co-defendants also alleged that they acted under orders from Mohammed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/oct/13/chrismcgreal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/oct/29/chrismcgreal

The above are press links to some of the very serious allegations against Mohammed. Not written by southern papers, but by foreign papers.

2) Mohammed was accused of massive corruption and of literally using the CBN as his personal bank account.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article01/indexn2_html?pdate=220309&ptitle=Sordid

Prove, prove, prove, prove...?

And, please, if you know how the Central Bank works, you'll know it is virtually impossible for Mohammed to use it as his personal bank account. Some of its operations could be teleguided (or manipulated) by the Head of state, or President, but for the president's son to use it as his personal account? No sir ;)

Quote from: nasr19 on July 02, 2009, 11:47:02 PM
Salaamu alaikum!
As a newbie, I must say that from what I've read in the various fora so far, this is a great place to be! I found myself following the various threads day in day out and finally can't help registering.

I found myself swayed between Husna and B/Gizo on this thread. As a benefactor of Abacha's PTF (yes, a contractor, no less!) I've always had a soft spot for him and totally agree with Husna. I may be accused of not being objective but I believe that Abacha meant well for this country and approached this with a military mindset with its inherent short-comings...

While Mohammed has every right to aspire to any political position, we can only blame ourselves for our never-ending complacence and gullibility which emboldens people with no proven capabilities other than dubious riches to vie for our leadership. Well, we'll continue getting the leadership we deserve. There goes the vicious cycle...

You are welcome to the forum. Hope you have a nice stay. And I quite agree with what you said. Abacha may not be a saint, but like you stated, he mean't well for this country. Plus he did some good things. Unfortunately, the press had a mission - to kill his name -  and this they successfully did. The same way I'm not prepeared to swallow some of the stupid things alledgedly done by Mohammed Abacha.

All said and done, I'm not holding brief for him, and I know there are a multitute of better candidates out there in the event he decide to contest, from whom we all have the choice of choosing. But my take is just that he's not the devil the Southern press would want us to believe.

HUSNAA

Salaamu alaikum!

[b]I found myself swayed by Husna and NOT B/Gizo on this thread.[/b] As a benefactor of Abacha's PTF (yes, a contractor, no less!) I've always had a soft spot for him and totally agree with Husna. I may be accused of not being objective but I believe that Abacha meant well for this country and approached this with a military mindset with its inherent short-comings...
Sigh!!
Finally someone who understands me ;) ;) ;)
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

bakangizo

Quote from: HUSNAA on July 08, 2009, 04:39:03 PM
[b]I found myself swayed by Husna and NOT B/Gizo on this thread.[/b] As a benefactor of Abacha's PTF (yes, a contractor, no less!) I've always had a soft spot for him and totally agree with Husna. I may be accused of not being objective but I believe that Abacha meant well for this country and approached this with a military mindset with its inherent short-comings...
Sigh!!
Finally someone who understands me ;) ;) ;)

Abin kuma har da cuwa-cuwa? :o ;D

nasr19, over to you! Someone was editing your post!