News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Abacha's Son Set to Join PDP

Started by maxsiollun, June 24, 2009, 11:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakangizo

I don't really see what the hysteria is all about. Mohammed abacha has the right to contest any election in this country, provided he is qualified for it. There are worse people presently in our politics, and I don't hear people demonizing them the way you guys are doing to him. Now tell me, what was his crime? Was it because the Southern-dominated press had succeded to compeltely washed awayany semblance of decency his father might have had? So what was mohammed's crime in what his father allegedly did? After Sani Abacha, bigger crooks hve occupied Aso Rock, did more terrible things, and stole more money. So what are we talking about? You guys talk as if Mohammed Abacha is one devil incarnate, coming to rule Kano, or Nigeria. Sure he may not be the best option, he has his problems just like any other would-be politician, but don't talk as if he's the worst person on earth seeking a political office. Like someone already stated, if and when he did actaully contest, you can either vote for him, or against him. Simple.

HUSNAA

The whole point of introducing something on Mohd. Abacha is so there should be comments written about it. If our comments are negative, it is how we feel. If u have positive things to say about him, do so by all means, but do not try and SCOLD us or tell us off for voicing our thoughts. Each to his own Bakan Gizo.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

maxsiollun

It is not just his dad. Mohammed Abacha was accused of massive corruption and charged as an accessory to murder. Many of those convicted of coup plotting against his dad testified that Mohammed Abacha tortured them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/524680.stm

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on June 28, 2009, 06:30:53 PM
I don't really see what the hysteria is all about. Mohammed abacha has the right to contest any election in this country, provided he is qualified for it. There are worse people presently in our politics, and I don't hear people demonizing them the way you guys are doing to him. Now tell me, what was his crime? Was it because the Southern-dominated press had succeded to compeltely washed awayany semblance of decency his father might have had? So what was mohammed's crime in what his father allegedly did? After Sani Abacha, bigger crooks hve occupied Aso Rock, did more terrible things, and stole more money. So what are we talking about? You guys talk as if Mohammed Abacha is one devil incarnate, coming to rule Kano, or Nigeria. Sure he may not be the best option, he has his problems just like any other would-be politician, but don't talk as if he's the worst person on earth seeking a political office. Like someone already stated, if and when he did actaully contest, you can either vote for him, or against him. Simple.

HUSNAA

Quote from: maxsiollun on June 29, 2009, 08:24:00 PM
It is not just his dad. Mohammed Abacha was accused of massive corruption and charged as an accessory to murder. Many of those convicted of coup plotting against his dad testified that Mohammed Abacha tortured them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/524680.stm

My sister inlaw's husband was incarcerated on the orders of Mohammed Abacha from the time his brother died to the time his father died. You've reminded me of the main reason why I dont like Mohammed Abacha.

Muhsin

Quote from: HUSNAA on June 27, 2009, 06:38:22 AM

Many ppl especially southerners may vehemently disagree with me, but I rather think that Abacha on his own was a good leader. I have always maintained it and written it somewhere long ago on this forum, that his liabilities were (1) his avaricious family, whom he couldnt control and keep out of national affairs effectively, as IBB did  and (2) his ignorance of the conditions of the masses due to his being surrounded by ppl like Mustapha Hamza who might have committed some of the heinous crimes they were alledged to have committed like the killing of Abiola's wife Kudirat, without the knowledge of Abacha. 

Quote from: HUSNAA on June 30, 2009, 06:55:01 AM
My sister inlaw's husband was incarcerated on the orders of Mohammed Abacha from the time his brother died to the time his father died. You've reminded me of the main reason why I dont like Mohammed Abacha.

Amma Husnaa you still like Abacha? Whoever did or ordered anything of that sort shouldn't be liked by everybody and especially the family ties of that victim. No law, I think, grant this as a punishment. May Allah avenge him, amen. But That was absolutely obnoxious. :o

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Haladu

This discussion has been very passionate and is becoming too personalized. Can we address WHAT wrongs were done, WHO did them, Why he/she/they did them and what lessons we can draw towards 2011? Is there any similarity between how that military government RULED and how the present democracy is RULING? Is there change in the actors? What encouragement can we offer younger Nigerians?

Can we please address these ISSUES and leave out, as much as possible, the persons?

Regards

HUSNAA

Quote from: Muhsin on June 30, 2009, 11:55:02 AM
Quote from: HUSNAA on June 27, 2009, 06:38:22 AM

Many ppl especially southerners may vehemently disagree with me, but I rather think that Abacha on his own was a good leader. I have always maintained it and written it somewhere long ago on this forum, that his liabilities were (1) his avaricious family, whom he couldnt control and keep out of national affairs effectively, as IBB did  and (2) his ignorance of the conditions of the masses due to his being surrounded by ppl like Mustapha Hamza who might have committed some of the heinous crimes they were alledged to have committed like the killing of Abiola's wife Kudirat, without the knowledge of Abacha. 

Quote from: HUSNAA on June 30, 2009, 06:55:01 AM

Amma Husnaa you still like Abacha? Whoever did or ordered anything of that sort shouldn't be liked by everybody and especially the family ties of that victim. No law, I think, grant this as a punishment. May Allah avenge him, amen. But That was absolutely obnoxious. :o

I still like Gen Abacha? Why ofcourse!  I like him! what's that got to do with disliking his son? He was a soldier and acted accordingly. What was his son? a sadist, since we cant say the army taught to him to be horrible!!!

Muhsin

Muhammad executed his father's orders. They are compatibly the same. :o
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

Quote from: Muhsin on June 30, 2009, 04:51:06 PM
Muhammad executed his father's orders. They are compatibly the same. :o

No he didnt. He didnt execute his father's orders. He was a little law onto himself!! Lets say Abacha couldnt control his children unfortunately. An fi karfin sa in that dept.

Muhsin

Oh. . . ;D Lets assume that. I still don't and won't like the man.

HUSNAA

Muhsin, if for nothing else, remember that he at least initiated the PTF program wanda har yanzu wa'yansu na cin gajiyar sa. If he didnt have the interest of the ppl at heart, he wouldnt have initiated this. For this alone, I am willing to give Abacha the benefit of the doubt. I am willing to bet that most of what went on in the govt was without his sanction or full knowledge. Remember bahaushe yana cewa ba a mugun sarki sai dai mugun bafade. Remember that he was sick as well towards the end of his life and hence his isolation from the public arena. Remember that he was a no nonsense individual who acted according to the dictates of his military upbringing even though they were distasteful some of the time. The unfortunate thing about Abacha's rule was that he was in the right place at the wrong time. He should have been in together with Buhari and Idiagbon, rather than supported IBB against them when he did.

Muhsin

Hajiya Husnaa,

Let me confess something here; I was quite young during his junta, yet I was quite informed of his actions and inactions while in reign. For example, regarding PTF; I was one of PTF's beneficiaries, if I may call it, for I was hospitalized '98-'99 at Murtala Muhammad Hospital. While there, I can recall, our sofas were extremely poor and looking like mats; our blankets so light, thin and transparent; the pillows were also that bad. But all of a sudden we were oneday taken out of the room. And the PTF stuff replaced all these ratty ones. Thats one. Kudos to him. ;D

And, the bad sides are quite many. Here are a few:

Both literally and metaphorically people ate kwakwi. I remember my immediate elder brother had a shop then. His main business was selling that kwakwi, wallahi. Secondly, people were in abject poverty to the extent some houses sent their children to go and beg like almajirai. I know one in our neighbor. Peoples' salaries were more than meager; hardly a man finish a month without borrowing massive amount of money. Kai! Wallahi during that time nan nan gari na nika was on many occasions stolen. Hence idan aka aike mu kai nika we must stand beside our gari or else we won't get it back home. The things are many and egregious.

May Allah grant Abacha's soul an eternal peace, amin.

bakangizo

Quote from: HUSNAA on June 30, 2009, 04:42:26 PM
I still like Gen Abacha? Why ofcourse!  I like him! what's that got to do with disliking his son? He was a soldier and acted accordingly. What was his son? a sadist, since we cant say the army taught to him to be horrible!!!

So Mohammed was responsible for all the alledged bad atrocities of the Abacha regime? Abacha's actions were justified, and you like him. But Mohammed, who was villified without any convincing evidence, and dragged through the mud along with his father by the biased, Southern-dominated press was a monster, right? I like your logic. ;D Ikon Allah. I gotta hand it to you.

p-s, I didn't "scold" you, nor try to "tell you off". Wane ni? Just posting my views like any other here.

HUSNAA

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on July 01, 2009, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: HUSNAA on June 30, 2009, 04:42:26 PM
I still like Gen Abacha? Why ofcourse!  I like him! what's that got to do with disliking his son? He was a soldier and acted accordingly. What was his son? a sadist, since we cant say the army taught to him to be horrible!!!

So Mohammed was responsible for all the alledged bad atrocities of the Abacha regime? Abacha's actions were justified, and you like him. But Mohammed, who was villified without any convincing evidence, and dragged through the mud along with his father by the biased, Southern-dominated press was a monster, right? I like your logic. ;D Ikon Allah. I gotta hand it to you.

p-s, I didn't "scold" you, nor try to "tell you off". Wane ni? Just posting my views like any other here.

BKG, I am not an avid reader of newspapers, northern or southern based. I find them utterly boring. So I did not get my info on M. Abacha from the press. All my info comes ppl who were in CONTACT with the Abachas one way or another and they were not southerners either.

Mohd A. is not responsible for the atrocities committed by the  Abacha regime. He committed his own attrocities. By the way, if u are talking of the south vilifying M.Abacha then surely Abacha himself was  vilified by the same southern press, in which case then all the atrocities are really also allegations arent they? If the fruit is considered bitter, how much more the tree that bore the fruit?

As for liking the father and disliking the son, each is judged according to his merit ko kuwa? No soul will bear the burden of another soul. So why should I like M. Abacha because of his father? Conversely why should I hate Abacha because of his son?

bakangizo

QuoteAs for liking the father and disliking the son, each is judged according to his merit ko kuwa? No soul will bear the burden of another soul. So why should I like M. Abacha because of his father? Conversely why should I hate Abacha because of his son?

I wasn't expecting you to like or dislike Mohammed because you like/dislike his father. What I found to be ironic was your statement that Abacha's actions/inactions were justified, despite the fact that he was the Head of State, and we all know that if actually Mohammed committed those things he was accused of, then wasn't it because Abacha condoned it? Wasn't Abacha aware of what Mohammed was alledgely doing? If he was, and allowed it, how would you exonerate him from Mohammed's (and others') wrong doings? And if, say for the sake argument, he wasn't aware, was that not a sign of failure as a parent and a leader? So either way, how were Abacha's actions justified, while Mohammed was left to carry the can as far as you are concerned?