News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Indian Court Overturns Gay Sex Ban

Started by Muhsin, July 02, 2009, 12:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

July 3, 2009
Indian Court Overturns Gay Sex Ban
By HEATHER TIMMONS

NEW DELHI —In a landmark ruling Thursday that could usher in an era of greater freedom for gays and lesbians in India, New Delhi's highest court decriminalized homosexuality.

"Discrimination is antithesis of equality," Delhi High Court judges wrote in a 105-page decision that is the first in India to directly guarantee rights for gays and lesbians. "It is the recognition of equality which will foster dignity of every individual," the decision said.

Homosexuality has been illegal in India since 1861, when British rulers codified a law prohibiting "carnal intercourse against the order of nature."

The law, known as Section 377, has long been viewed as an archaic holdover from colonialism by its detractors. Gay men and women have rarely been prosecuted in modern times, but it has been used to harass, blackmail and jail marchers and participants in gatherings.

The ruling applies only to India's capital city but it will force the national government to either appeal the decision to the Supreme Court or repeal the law nationwide, lawyers said.

In their decision, Chief Justice A. .P Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar declared Section 377, as it pertains to consensual sex among people above the age of 18, in violation of key parts of India's Constitution.

The law violates Article 14, which guarantees all people "equality before the law;" Article 15, which prohibits discrimination "on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth;" and Article 21, which guarantees "protection of life and personal liberty" they said.

The repeal comes after a broad campaign organized by gay rights activists, authors and celebrities, lawyers and AIDS awareness groups.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/03/world/asia/03india.html?_r=1&ref=asia&pagewanted=print
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

nasr19

This is another glaring evidence of the pervasive results of so-called modern secular laws which over-emphasize the rights of the individual at the expense of the greater society. Haba! Its a long time since i read the Bhagavad Gita but I seem to remember that it frowns on homosexuality. But then, this is India, why should anyone be surprised? After-all its already commonplace elsewhere that people supposedly worship "God". Allah (SWT), mun gode maKa da rahamarKa. Allah (SWT) Ka sa mu mutu cikin musuluncin,mu cika da imani, amin.

Here are some interesting links I googled up b4 posting:

http://www.galva108.org/
http://www.galva108.org/lovesrite.html
http://nsaikia.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/hinduism-and-homosexuality/

Muhsin

You have said it all.

Yet, I think people must be surprised because even in England, who colonized India, gay sex is not allowed. Moreover, America, where there is claim of almost every human rights, not all States decriminalized same sex marriage. But why then India? :o :o :o 

May Allah, the Exalted, guide us, ameen.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

GoodFella

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
— Og Mandino (Motivational Author & Speaker)

Cekenah

Quote from: Muhsin on July 08, 2009, 12:14:32 PM
You have said it all.

Yet, I think people must be surprised because even in England, who colonized India, gay sex is not allowed. Moreover, America, where there is claim of almost every human rights, not all States decriminalized same sex marriage. But why then India? :o :o :o 

May Allah, the Exalted, guide us, ameen.

Gay sex not allowed in England? ENGLAND?! No way...
You're mixing up issues here. Decriminalizing gay marriage is not the same as decriminalizing gay sex; these are separate legal issues. I'd imagine that sodomy laws are a thing of the past in many Western nations; but gay marriage on the other hand is presently being negotiatied.

Muhsin

HUSNAA

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum