News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

GSM Village

Started by bakangizo, August 20, 2009, 04:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakangizo

The state Governor has just commisioned the first GSM market in northern nigeria, located at Farm Centre, Kano. It was built under a public-private partnership arrangement and consisted of 72 standard shops, 60 modern sheds, 2 master sheds, 2 restaurants, a mosque and a parking lot. The MD of KNUPDA stated that some individuals with plots flanking the market had indicated interest to partner with the govt to expand it in the future.

Though not a gigantic project (it was built with a 'modest' sum of N59million), I welcome it happily. At least ti would help to decongest Post Office road, which was turned into a jungle of a sort by the GSM operators. That is aside providing the people with condusive business atmosphere. I believe more of such are needed.

bakangizo

...additional sites were identified by KNUPDA for the construction of seven more speccialized markets.

gogannaka

Indeed it is a welcome development.
I read also somewhere that the vegetable market at yankaba and fruit market at yan lemo will get specialized markets as well.
The state govt will liaise with the national horticultural institute or so to achieve it.

I just hope the people will understand the need to be modern.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Assalamu alaikum,

This certainly is a welcome development.

BTW, hoow about the displaced people on other roads? Won't they feel alienated and humiliated because they too are, as I think, entitled to be relocated as they are 'yan Kano as well.

Sorry if I go off-topic.

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on August 20, 2009, 09:22:33 PM

Kasan kuwa babban matsalar mu kenan. Mutane basu son a tashe su. Wasu ma camfi ne, suna ganin in sun koma sabon wuri shikenan cinikin su ya lalace.

Quote from: Muhsin on August 21, 2009, 12:34:18 PM
BTW, hoow about the displaced people on other roads? Won't they feel alienated and humiliated because they too are, as I think, entitled to be relocated as they are 'yan Kano as well.

Sorry if I go off-topic.

You are not off topic. I think the problem with the displaced roadside traders is that they don't fit into a single-type market. They vary - from small kiosk traders, masu nama, fruit sellers, etc etc. So I don't think it is easy and feasible to group them and build a market for them. Way I see it is, if and when those specialsed markets were finally built, people can then go to where they belong. But I believe the govt should take them into consideration when constructing the markets. Way to start is to take stock of everyone displaced and make provision for him/her.

Muhsin

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on August 21, 2009, 04:38:30 PM
Quote from: gogannaka on August 20, 2009, 09:22:33 PM

Kasan kuwa babban matsalar mu kenan. Mutane basu son a tashe su. Wasu ma camfi ne, suna ganin in sun koma sabon wuri shikenan cinikin su ya lalace.

I actually don't believe in anything superstitious, but that sort of thing does happen. This could be attributed to loosing some customers that follows displacing or relocation.

Who knows?

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on August 21, 2009, 04:38:30 PM
You are not off topic. I think the problem with the displaced roadside traders is that they don't fit into a single-type market. They vary - from small kiosk traders, masu nama, fruit sellers, etc etc. So I don't think it is easy and feasible to group them and build a market for them. Way I see it is, if and when those specialsed markets were finally built, people can then go to where they belong. But I believe the govt should take them into consideration when constructing the markets. Way to start is to take stock of everyone displaced and make provision for him/her.

This is a very good thought.

Wish government would take heed of your last sentence. But I don't think they could. Why? Since the destruction of our site, for example, nobody say a single word to us. We went there, but it's the same thing--futile, as I said it on another thread sometime.

Allah is the Judge of the judges.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

neozizo

This is great news. thumbs up KNSG.

I read somewhere that govt is renting the site for about N100m/yr.
is that accurate?

On the road side traders, i believe the whole idea of their evolving is that the are kind of 'convenient' shops. they are close by, you dont have to go all the way to market to buy box of matches for example.
But hawkers that sell on roads, traffic jams and traffic jams are definitely a nuisance. they should go.

So post office is now looking better?

bakangizo

Quote from: neozizo on August 22, 2009, 06:46:06 PM
This is great news. thumbs up KNSG.

I read somewhere that govt is renting the site for about N100m/yr.
is that accurate?

On the road side traders, i believe the whole idea of their evolving is that the are kind of 'convenient' shops. they are close by, you dont have to go all the way to market to buy box of matches for example.
But hawkers that sell on roads, traffic jams and traffic jams are definitely a nuisance. they should go.

So post office is now looking better?

POffice road should be okay once they relocate. And I agree with you about the road side traders.

To yaya gunners ne? Any hope this season? ;D