News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

The enormous potential of wind power!!!

Started by Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu, October 07, 2009, 04:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Wind power could supply global electricity needs 40 times over. It could electrify the world or provide its energy needs many times over, not necessarily with big turbines and wind farms!!!
[/b][/i]

This is a challenge to our African scientists!!! Wind turbines on land could provide more than 40 times the world's current electricity consumption or over five times its total energy needs. That's the latest assessment using wind data from meteorological sources. A network of 2.5- megawatt (MW) turbines on land restricted to non-forested, ice-free, nonurban areas operating at as little as 20 percent of their rated capacity would do the trick; allowing for the fact that the wind does not blow constantly. To put this into perspective, wind turbines installed in the US in 2004 and 2005 operate on average 36 percent of rated capacity.
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

Baruti M. Kamau

I think wind power would function more efficiently in African cities that border the Atlantic Ocean.  Just my opinion.  Any comments?

gogannaka

The United states wind energy capacity is 35,000MW.
China : 25,000MW
Germany: 26,000MW
Spain: 19,740MW
India: 10,925MW

All this is from wind energy only. Nigeria has been struggling to generate 6,000MW from Hydro, thermal and gas power plants but till today the peak has just been 4,005MW.

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

If I recall, during 'Yar'Adua's tenure, some contracts were awarded for Wind Power projects in some states like Katsina. I forgot the other states. But since the announcement of the contracts after the FEC meeting, I've not heard anything about it again.

gogannaka

Yes,the contract was awarded for a 15MW wind farm and generation station in Katsina. The money was released in the 2008 budget. If you are going to Katsina from Kano you will see the site and the sign board. I once saw the wind vanes at the site but i guess the project has been brushed under the carpet, they money shared and later on another contract will be awarded.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

wiskyblandi1

Onshore wind turbines can provide up to 40 times more electricity. It is my new knowledge.