News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

THE “DEATH” OF K-ONLINE: THE POSSIBLE CAUSE(S) AND THE CULPRIT(S)

Started by Muhsin, January 03, 2010, 03:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

In the name of Allah I am volunteering to accept any
responsibility on the administration of the website
but not 24/7 as dan arewa a london says, something
i can be able to do as my work involves staying most
of the time online, SO HELP ME GOD.

some one say AMEN pls.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

admin

Quote from: Muhsin on January 07, 2010, 06:03:54 PM
Admin,

But the author put the word DEATH in inverted commas, right?

It does not matter because what everybody will come out with this topic is just that... When the topic says 'THE "DEATH" OF K-ONLINE:' that means that it has died and to me, all that needs to be done when something is dead, is just to bury it... in this case shut it down!!!

Just like what Bakan~Gizo said in another thread
Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on January 05, 2010, 06:11:01 PM
the pronouncement of this site as "dead". Again, I agree that the forum is not as lively as we would all want it to be, but GTG is not a criteria to qualify a forum as either dead or alive.
What are your reason(s) for the pronouncement that the KanoOnline website is "Dead" and what qualifies or signifies a website is "Dead" or Not?
Kaini Kano ko a buhun barkono!!!

Abdalla

@Husna
What on earth would take me to History Department (beside browsing late Phil Shea collection)? Have you forgotten that I am a Scientist (Biologist/Physiologist) Also have you forgotten where you took your Subsidiary classes in 1981 -- when a young Graduate Assistant took the class? And you, just fresh back from Pestalozzi and sassy with it too!

Me DVC? I'd rather have DVDs. They are more fun. I am struggling to download Avatar now -- brilliant film. Nah, I am too shy to hold public office! I am a writer, son of a writer, and father of a writer, brother to a writer! I am happier the way I am -- without the administrative baggage and wahala. I don't even attend Senate Meetings. Too boring by half! BUK has more than 80 native professors (soon you'll be the first Hausa Female Professor of Geography, too!) -- so there is a lot of choice for all sorts of posts; I am contented to be a nobody.

My office is No 2, CBN Block. The office block has no label, and it was unoccupied before you left to eat Seaweed and Shushi for all these years. They pretentiously call it "Professorial Office Block". Near the main library. I am waiting to hear all the latest!

Abdalla

Fateez

Hehehehe, Muhsin! You really need to take a chill pill. Take am easy! You don't have to take every little thing so seriously.

First of all, Kanoonline is a social forum, and like many of it's kind, seasons come and seasons go! Online communities are like fads and

fashion trends. None of them are immortal. Even your precious Nairaland used to be a lot livelier when it first started than it is now. Let's

go back 8 years ago when MSN was all the rage, then Kanoonline, then Hi5, then Facebook and now Twitter! And who knows? A new site will

spring up tomorrow and everyone will hop on the bandwagon and move on. It's just a fact of our virtual community lives and there's not

much we can do about that. Instead of whining about the site being dead why not try to revive it? Why come on the board to complain that

the site is dead when you can start up fresh new topics to make people want to read and reply?

Also, I noticed since you became an active poster on Nairaland, your view on northerners has become totally warped! It's almost as if we

can never be of acclaim to you, you've given up hope on anything good about us and you've become a pessimist. Read your "Last posts"

history and you can almost see an evolution in your opinions. Hey, I'm not here to criticize you and your choices, I'm just saying Nairaland

and Kanoonline are 2 separate entities with extremely different audiences. So expecting Kanoonline to pan out exactly like Nairaland is

unreasonable and you just have to relax with the whole "Northerners can't do squat" mentality because honestly, it's getting annoying.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Muhsin

@Admin,

I felt at more ease when I read your above reply; candidness and sincerity are the two major qualities I admire most in human beings. Thanks to Allah for given you both.

I will try, to the best of my ability and knowledge, and answer your question and other challenges. Here we go. . .

A response to the case you came up with is threefold:

1-The issue of inverted commas:

In any formal writing, quotation marks are used on a word to tell readers that that word is used figuratively. Considering this fact, alone, I am free from any accusation.

2-Does the content of my write-up say otherwise?

Very much rightly, the content of my OP does not say anything like the forum is dead; it rather clearly says the forum is dying. It even goes ahead suggesting that the "death" is preventable if members and administrators can make so and so effort.

3-How I conclude (that) the forum is "dead"?

Online forum is indisputably popularly designated a "community", right? As an English language leaner, the meaning of a community I know says it's a group of people who live in the same area, or the area in which they live. Either way, community involves a number of people living together; or the place they live. Thence, can a community be called a community if it happens there are no people living in that place? I wholly suppose the answer is NO. What then is the name of that deserted area, the once living locality of the people? DEAD!

KanoOnline had been quintessentially a community (an online one) where people, in short words, live. Suddenly enough everyone disappeared. Please am I wrong if I term that community (i.e. KanoOlnine) "dead"?

Please correct me, Mal. Salisu and/or any great K-Online member if I am wrong. Thanks
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Quote from: Fateez on January 08, 2010, 08:12:12 AM
Hehehehe, Muhsin! You really need to take a chill pill. Take am easy! You don't have to take every little thing so seriously.

First of all, Kanoonline is a social forum, and like many of it's kind, seasons come and seasons go! Online communities are like fads and

fashion trends. None of them are immortal. Even your precious Nairaland used to be a lot livelier when it first started than it is now. Let's

go back 8 years ago when MSN was all the rage, then Kanoonline, then Hi5, then Facebook and now Twitter! And who knows? A new site will

spring up tomorrow and everyone will hop on the bandwagon and move on. It's just a fact of our virtual community lives and there's not

much we can do about that. Instead of whining about the site being dead why not try to revive it? Why come on the board to complain that

the site is dead when you can start up fresh new topics to make people want to read and reply?

Also, I noticed since you became an active poster on Nairaland, your view on northerners has become totally warped! It's almost as if we

can never be of acclaim to you, you've given up hope on anything good about us and you've become a pessimist. Read your "Last posts"

history and you can almost see an evolution in your opinions. Hey, I'm not here to criticize you and your choices, I'm just saying Nairaland

and Kanoonline are 2 separate entities with extremely different audiences. So expecting Kanoonline to pan out exactly like Nairaland is

unreasonable and you just have to relax with the whole "Northerners can't do squat" mentality because honestly, it's getting annoying.

You aren't fair to me, Fateez. Wallahi you are NOT!

Many of you are living witness that I stomach coming here when everybody deserted it (where is DB to testify for me). I created a number of threads and made numerous replies. . .go see them. I kept inviting my friends; kept ignoring invitations from many so-called Northern groups on facebook and in reply I tell them to come up here and join. This is our place while fb is not ours and can't be ours. Ask Tanko Yakasai and Tijjani Muhammad Musa or some groups I couldn't ignore.

And as I say, I may have wrong methodology in approaching the whole thing; but if you do me some favor, read and re-read the OP and my responses to admin and members, regarding this Northern "bashing" stuff, the story is contrary to how you "showcase" it. More-over, go again and dig in my postings on nairaland; am a good ambassador of the North.

There is no where, again, in my OP where I mention that KanOnline should be like Nairaland. I, in particular, will be the first person to oppose that idea even if comes to Admin's thought. Nairaland is filthy, while KanoOnline is pure; and so I hope it'll remain till eternity. What I rather know I said (and you can go back and read it--I don't modify any of them) is: this board should emulate some measures taken by NL to encourage people be more active, the forum more kicking and other stuff.

Any way, as you suggested: I'll soon take it easy by inshaAllah leaving K-online. This will be better for me. Get lots of thing to do much more worthy than "sticking" in here. My life is at its "developmental" stage. I hope I am not yet who me I.

But before then, I have one request to all members: please forgive me if I wrong you. To err is human. And humans are fallible. I like you all.

Muhsin
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Quote from: HUSNAA on January 07, 2010, 06:18:43 PM
Salaam everyone.
Finally found my feet on the ground. I have been in limbo for so long. So whats this death thing everyone is hyperventilating about? Oh and Prof Abdallah VERY NICE POST. I read all of it. I must beg to differ though that u are definitely not the shy silent type! My jaw dropped to the floor when I came across that ahem modest description of yr erstwhile self.

PS I must must must see u.  ;D ;D ;D. Where is yr office in the dept of history and y arent u the dvc?
W/salam,

Welcome back,i guess you were part of the probable culprits,lol.

@ Muhsin haba kada ka bani kunya mana.

Shikenan idan an yi disagreeing da kai ko kuma an fadi contrary opinion to yours sai kayi quitting?
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on January 08, 2010, 11:39:42 AM
@ Muhsin haba kada ka bani kunya mana.

Shikenan idan an yi disagreeing da kai ko kuma an fadi contrary opinion to yours sai kayi quitting?

GGNK,

You should be more understanding than that. I have been aboard KanoOnline for nearly four good years; ask yourself: is it the only time or instance Muhsin's opinion is disagreed or criticized? Why did he say he was quiting this time around? Very much likely there is something peculiar to this one, and thus let me scrutinize. GGNK, only good scrutiny and careful appraisal could "uncover" where the actual problem lies.

Let me give you a tip: please, do you think I initiated this OP to ridicule, mock or dent Arewa or KanoOnline? If yes where and how; and if no why am I that misunderstood, miscalculated and misinterpreted; and to some extent even "threatened"? Wallahi looking at this scenario from this angle will reveal to you that I have every reason to react the way I do and want to do.

GGNK, I certainly know you know it: I just love this board. It's not the first I subscribed and it's not the last. And it's not the forum I enjoyed most, for it can't be especially because my identity is known to almost all, and I do know of others. Yet it remains the one I love most! But I can get off it; I live even in the absence of my dear Mom, may Allah grant her soul an eternal peace.

Hmm. The decision is not yet taken, actually about to. But inshaAllah it's gonna be within 24hours. I pray whichever decision I decide upon will be better for me and for my life. Cheerio!

gogannaka

Muhsin it wont be a good idea to leave because of the unfolding events.
I have read times without numbers at the posts made and i haven't seen where you were threatened or even critisized seriously.
Fateez's post might be offensive to you but really,Nairaland will not help your optimism especially regarding the progress of the north. If you remember i have said it to you once before that you are becomming 'pessimistic' (remember).
All in all you should know that bowing out when you are critisized or disagreed with will only portray you as an immature adult that cannot stand the heat of a debate.

In my post,just after your last post, i pointed out that this is one of the likely causes some members don't post on the forum.The fear of being critisized.

So Muhsin rayuwa haka take,ni naji dadi da ka fadi abun da ke zuciyar ka,at least we got a valid and effective response from admin and prof. Na ga Husnaa ma ta jiyo kamshin abun da ke faruwa ta leko.

On a lighter note,i think English din da kake koya ya zamna daram fa,na ga har da wata lacca akan su comma ne,apostrophe,exclamation mark,inverted comma's da sauran su.....brigter grammar dai.....lol
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

GGNK,

I read your response. Give me some time to reason your words. And, I'll reconsider my intention. Thanks

Fateez

Quote from: Muhsin on January 08, 2010, 10:10:57 AM
You aren't fair to me, Fateez. Wallahi you are NOT!

Any way, as you suggested: I'll soon take it easy by inshaAllah leaving K-online. This will be better for me. Get lots of thing to do much more worthy than "sticking" in here. My life is at its "developmental" stage. I hope I am not yet who me I.

But before then, I have one request to all members: please forgive me if I wrong you. To err is human. And humans are fallible. I like you all.

Muhsin

Hmmm, maybe I was a little harsh on you Muhsin, but these things need to be said. You need to stop taking these things too seriously. Ordinary

reply now you have decided to leave Kanoonline forever? Boy, you sure won't hold up in my home! Za mu sa ka kuka kullum kenan :P. You can

stomach Nairaland replies kuma I'm 100% sure our replies are a lot less harsh than theirs, so kini big deal? If people want to post, let them post.

If people don't want to post, then it's their choice. If you chose to leave the forum, it is also your choice and whether or not Kanoonline members

hound you about it, you will leave, correct?

People have different reasons for not being as active as they used to be on this site. I joined KanoOnline 6 years ago and since then, a plethora of

people have come and gone and seeing as this is a voluntary online community and not a boot camp, I don't see why they need to justify

their absence to anyone. Maybe its as simple as "people are just very busy in their personal lives". It shouldn't be a reflection on the entire

northern Nigeria, that's just a sloppy generalisation (A habit of Nairaland).

Maybe people are reacting this way to your post because you have opened a can of worms with this topic. Like Gogannaka, I had noticed your

pessimism about northerners a long time ago, just haven't had the opportunity to point it out until you described us as "inherently dispassionate"

people. How can we not react?

Also, just like Dan Borno mentioned to you earlier, learn to stop referring to yourself as inferior to everyone else! It'll only make it easy for

people to walk all over you. Who cares if everyone else has PhDs or MScs? You are an adult and you should be able to have opinions and stand by

them regardless of what qualifications you have or how old you are. Ironically, if what you posted here http://kanoonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=3489.msg45230;topicseen#msg45230

is true, then you are older than me by at least 2 - 4 years! ??? :-\  :-\  ??? You don't see me or any other member(s) that may be younger than

you hiding behind our ages or putting ourselves down. That's what online fora are about. You should feel free to express yourself. No one should

care whether you are young, old, drop-dead-gorgeous or even a superhuman life form! (Remember Tsumburbura? :P).

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Yayi kyau... KNline is alive NOT dead, QED. Let us make it more lively.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Dan-Borno

Quote from: Muhsin on January 08, 2010, 10:10:57 AM
where is DB to testify for me.

my lord, my names are DAN-BORNO,  spelt as Dee A EN
Dash Bee O AR EN O and I stand before you to defend my
innocent client who has been serving his online community
diligently and with all his strength for the past five (5) years.

my lord, with reference to section 8 of the kanoonline decree
as amended by the ruling dictators, it clearly states that "citizen
of this community who have served for more than 3 (uninterrupted)
years should enjoy full immunity and any utterences they make
in the cause of their services be it incriminating or otherwise
should not be used against them........."

my lord, my client has been a good citizen of this community,
he has received so many prestigeous awards including the
highest meritorious award in 2007 "CHOKALIN KANOONLINE"
and "YARON AUNTY" award in 2008 for his great service to
this community.  in recent time, he was awarded by the federation
of the online community as "DAN MADAMIN FORUM".

without wasting much time, i am appealing to my lord to as a matter
of justice, equity and fairness drop all charges against my
client and demand a lengthy written apology from Abdalla and Admin
in addition to organizing a very powerful Goge Musical Night with
Kidan Barmani Mai Choge to my innocent client.

i rest my case hoping justice will be done to my innocent client.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

IBB

I,am late. All that have to be said have been said.

I guess the point of both parties have been made.

So let's carry on and think positively.

Remember negative thoughts and speech trasmit negative signals.
IHS

HUSNAA

Quote from: Abdalla on January 08, 2010, 12:13:25 AM
@Husna
What on earth would take me to History Department (beside browsing late Phil Shea collection)? Have you forgotten that I am a Scientist (Biologist/Physiologist) Also have you forgotten where you took your Subsidiary classes in 1981 -- when a young Graduate Assistant took the class? And you, just fresh back from Pestalozzi and sassy with it too!

Me DVC? I'd rather have DVDs. They are more fun. I am struggling to download Avatar now -- brilliant film. Nah, I am too shy to hold public office! I am a writer, son of a writer, and father of a writer, brother to a writer! I am happier the way I am -- without the administrative baggage and wahala. I don't even attend Senate Meetings. Too boring by half! BUK has more than 80 native professors (soon you'll be the first Hausa Female Professor of Geography, too!) -- so there is a lot of choice for all sorts of posts; I am contented to be a nobody.

My office is No 2, CBN Block. The office block has no label, and it was unoccupied before you left to eat Seaweed and Shushi for all these years. They pretentiously call it "Professorial Office Block". Near the main library. I am waiting to hear all the latest!

Abdalla

Lol Prof u are getting a bit fuddled. Duk ilimin ne haka? (as my son would say ;D ;D ;D ;D). In 1981  I was still living in Pestalozzi, East Sussex and u were still an under grad. The subsidiary classes were in 84, part one at BUK ko? Yeah I guess I was sassy then, u rubbed me up the wrong way with yr over brimming confidence!!!! hahahahahaha.
I must have unreliably heard that u'd left fac of edu for fac of arts and islamic studies (that is where the history dept is ko?), so its more dept of Hausa rather than History?
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum