News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Eczema in Early Childhood May Influence Mental Health Later!!!

Started by Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu, February 15, 2010, 09:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

I know that, many Nigerians supper from Eczema!!!
     Excema, also called atopic dermatitis, is a very common skin dermatose – a  particular type of inflammatory reaction of the skin in which there are typically vesicles (tiny blister-like raised areas) in the first stage followed by erythema (reddening), edema (swelling), papules (bumps), and crusting of the skin followed, finally, by lichenification (thickening) and scaling of the skin. Eczema characteristically causes itching and burning of the skin. It may start in infancy, later in childhood, or in adulthood. Once it gets underway, it tends not to go quickly away.
     Eczema in early childhood may influence behavior and mental health later in life. This is a key finding of a prospective birth cohort study to which scientists of Helmholtz Zentrum München contributed.
     There are numerous types of eczema, including:
•   Atopic dermatitis - a chronic skin disease characterized by itchy, inflamed skin
•   Contact eczema - a localized reaction that includes redness, itching, and burning  
where the skin has come into contact with an allergen (an allergy-causing substance) or with an
irritant such as an acid, a cleaning agent, or other chemical
•   Allergic contact eczema - a red, itchy, weepy reaction where the skin has come into
contact with a substance that the immune system recognizes as foreign, such as poison ivy or  certain preservatives in creams and lotions
•   Seborrheic eczema - a form of skin inflammation of unknown cause that presents as yellowish, oily, scaly patches of skin on the scalp, face, and occasionally other parts of the body
•   Nummular eczema - coin-shaped patches of irritated skin—most commonly on the arms, back, buttocks, and lower legs—that may be crusted, scaling, and extremely itchy
•   Neurodermatitis - scaly patches of skin on the head, lower legs, wrists, or forearms caused by a localized itch (such as an insect bite) that becomes intensely irritated when scratched
•   Stasis dermatitis - a skin irritation on the lower legs, generally related to circulatory problems
•   Dyshidrotic eczema - irritation of the skin on the palms of hands and soles of the feet characterized by clear, deep blisters that itch and burn.

For a comprehensive understanding of what type of eczema a person is having, including the diagnosis and treatment, please do immediately see a dermatologist.

PS: One Hausa method of removing the eczema flakes, and thus doing away with the dermatose is to collect enough leaves of "Gogamasu plant", beat it well in turmin karfe till some liquid begins to form up. Rub well the affected area of the skin with the beaten leaves till it is red; it will go, and forever. Only that, one should, afterwards, boil well all his/ her clothings and beddings, and  iron them well. Otherwise, the idiot will surely come back.
     This has made me remember some pharmacists, indigens of Kano State, that studied in Ukraine, in the town I am now in, and not only are now in Kano but do go into production of some drugs. Shehu, where are you? Can't you en-mass produce the "Gogamasu extract" for people to use?

Further Readings:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100210101516.htm

"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

gogannaka

Is eczema a communicable disease?
And is it true that it can lead to leprosy?
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

As for the first question, do please see Contact eczema above, yes, this type is communicable. As of the second, they are parallel!!!
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

gogannaka

So can someone contact eczema from sharing a shirt or cloth with an infected person?

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Yes, Gogan naka, one can contact eczema from sharing a shirt or cloth. This has made me remember one Hausa management of the dermatose. I am modifying the main article, Just go through the end of it again, you would see it!!!  
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

gogannaka

Thank you Dr,
Eczema is very common and often not taken seriously.
I hope people will be enlightened.
My friend once used izal disinfectant to wash away his eczema,luckily it went and never came back.
Amma fa ya sha wuya saboda zafi.