News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

PIGS ORGANS IN HUMAN BEINGS?

Started by Dan-Sokoto, October 12, 2002, 08:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Sokoto

Assalaam Alaikum!

Modern science and by extention, medical advancement has made it possible for human beings to donate organs like kidney etc to unfortunate victims in order for the victims to survive and overcome ailments. However, those in need of organs transplant have to wait till there is one available from say a car crash victim before they can receive the organs. As a result, there are many people on the waiting list with some even dying because of non-availability of the organs.

Now, such medical advancement and the need to have organs readily available for those who need them, has made scientists to start experimenting of cloning pigs (al-hanzir), that is, scientifically producing pigs in large numbers for the sole purpose of using their organs, like kidney, heart, liver etc for transplant in human beings who may need the organs in order to survive.

Jama'ah Don Allah ina son in ji ra'ayin ku a kan wannan!

Dan-Sokoto

Ihsan

Assalaam Alaikum,

OMG...Subhanallah...A PIG'S ORGAN???????? Kayya...sun maida mutane wasu animals ne ko me? Amma dai musulmi baya saka wannan ba.
Errr...baza su iya yin na roba ba ko wani abun amma ba dai animal ba, animal din ma al-khanzir??
Allah ya gyara.
greetings from Ihsaneey

Fulanizzle

Salamu alaikum....

from the medical point of view...its quite rational..but AWW lord of mercy, havent they have better animals for this job ;D

But personally, i think its crazy...for God's sake we r talking about a pig, one of the dirtiest animal known to man!!!

Plus I dont support this cloning!!!!!

Perhaps in the near future I will  bring a new topic on pros and cons for Human cloning  :D  Insha Allah....

)

Rose

Hum! Medical advancement ??? ???
You know what, the scientists who clong dolly the sheep in Edinburgh have now apply for permission from the british government to clong a human being:o :o,  even though religious leaders are some much against it but still it seems they will succeed.
Medical Advancement or Horror Advancement :o :o :o :o :o
And i don't think any kind of Animals Organs Transplant is Right ::)   Especially Pigs Organs!!!  OO Yukkkk!!
But what do you think about dead ppl Organs Transplant ? :-/
May Allah (SWA) have mercy on human kind.
aNo Ta DaBo ChiGaRii, GaRi Ba KaNo Ba DaJin ALLaH.

al_hamza

i think i read an article concerning cloning from the Islamic point of view.
well it said clearly that its HARAM
and well although am not an imam i guess we need to get matters straightend
Allah has made everything Halal IF THE NECESSITY ARISES.
but i guess we better consult an imam bout this thing
se anjuma
MAY ALLAH BLESS US ALL
ABILUNAH? SABILUNAH? AL-JIHAD! AL-JIHAD!

Dan-Sokoto

Assalaam!

Fulanicious and al-Hamza you both may be right about MEDICAL NECESSITY. I also share the same view. But like hamza said, we need an authority to shed more light.

Why pigs? The medical scientists say, of all animal organs, the nearest to human organs are those of pigs. That is why they are concentrating on cloning pigs.

But i was just kind of wondering a situation where somebody is so sick on the verge of death and in need of say a kidney. Shall he say because a kidney is from a pig he would not accept it in order to survive? Remember he is not eating the pig but only the pig organ being transplanted into him. This is a very dicey issue folks.

Dan-Sakkwato.

Anonymous

Even with my limited knowledge of the human cloning, I can safely say its something very important and indeed Makrukh not Haram.
Lets not forget Muslims are given the latitude to take otherwise unislamic measures in times of life and death.
I say from this that, if THE LIVER OF A SWINE WILL SAVE THE LIFE OF MACCIDO, then so be it. After all no one suggests widespread use of Pig organs in all circumstances.
I would assume that the use of pig organs is a  preliminary test, perhaps in years to come the use of Cow organ will substitue those of swine.
Allah knows best.

Modibbo

Because of our genetic make up, it is not feasible to simply transplant organs from one animal to another (we are animals after all) since our bodies will see that transplanted organ as a foreign tissue and set forth to destroy it (rejection).

The more compatible two animals are, the less likely that rejection will occur. Even when you transplant across humans, there is need for siginificant medication (with very serious side effects) to suppress the immune system so that it does not reject the transplanted organ. The best transplant is between identical twins, since their genetic make is supposed to be the same (although in reality it may not be entirely so).

Given this, it follows that you cannot simply transplant a pig organ into a human without serious consequences. ( There have been heart transplants in the past from baboons to humans with short term success). The pig is phylogenetically very far removed from humans such that problems of tissue compatibility will preclude simple transplant of organs, although there are certain tissues that you can transplant with some safety. There are thousands of people the world over on a waiting list for organ transplants. They have to wait for donors to become available (living or dead) and many of them die in the process. The quest for artificial organs is on-going but still far away ( see: International Society for Artificial Organs http://www.isao-society.org)

This is the reason why (for some people) the idea of cloning human tissue is very attractive--- this is a totally different can of worms, but I would like to hear what people think about cloning!. You can use embryonic stem cells to practically create any body organ you want--heart, liver, kidneys etc. and have a sort of spare parts store for people in need of organ transplant. You can even clone your own self for future use-- spare parts etc.

I know how we all feel about the pig. There are many medicines that are derived from animals including pigs ( Insulin for Diabetes used to be one of them), but if that is what we need to stay alive and serve Allah, where is the harm??. This is a very difficult question to answer, and I dont know if we can have a right answer but certainly worth discussing..please chime in.

I apoplogise for rambling on..but I wanted to put in my own 2 cents.

Modibbo
odibbo

Anonymous