News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Linux on old PC/Laptop

Started by sdanyaro, January 02, 2004, 11:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdanyaro

Assalamu alaikum;

Anybody has experience installing Linux on an older PC?

I have some old PCs that I am thinking of installing and configuring Linux on them.

Like what Distributions (Disros) of Linux to use and so on.

Baruti M. Kamau

I'm not too familiar with Linux.  You may want to check out a few Usenet newsgroups that discuss the Linux operating system on daily basis.

zezezee

Amin Wa'alaika Mallam Salisu.
just go to  https://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/rhl71.html, n u will find all the documentation and infact, the freeware download of the most popular version of linux (Redhat). I know that the person installing has the option to decide what size he wants the kernel (engine) to be. so u dont have worries about specs of the machine u want to install it on. It can even go on to a 16Mb (ram) machine.
Hope u find want u want.
cheers
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

sdanyaro

Assalamu Alaikum;
baruti and zezezee,

Thanks for your responses to my inquiry. I am familiar with the sites and other resources you have both mentioned. In addition to that I have installed and configured Linux on numerous Boxes (Computers) of different platforms, but all were heavy-duty machines.

What I really want to find out, is if any of OUR members or guests has had the experience of installing and configuring any Linux Distro(s) on an old PC/Laptop (486) that will like to share his or her personal experience with us on this Forum.

danzaria

assalamu alaikum,

there is no difference between both capacity of computers, you can install any linux distros on any size computers, thats is the beauty of linux from ms windows. But there is a cache there the system board must be able to accept the following hardware:
1 not less than 2GB of HDD
2. more than not less than 32MB RAM
3. if you can get your hand on a linux distro red hat ver. 6.2 you should be ok

since you have already install on higher capacity systems before i think i should leave the installation guide out its the same. But make sure you have taken inventory of your hardware on each computer before you begin. thing like VGA card type, soundcard, lancard etc.

there you are. good luck

danzaria