News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

How can internet be really cheap?

Started by zezezee, January 04, 2004, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan kauye

Quote from: "gogannaka"Topic slightly getting off-balance......it says how can internet be really cheap?
I dont see ideas flowing

ahh! g-naka i know u'll be d 1st 1 2 point it out(nodding)...d truth is we(me n sheikh @least) dont reely know how we can influence d internet affordabilty(ko kuwa sheikh?)...and bsydes zezezee havnt been here 4 long...i suggest u flow sum ideas(it wud be nyc of ya)..abi?
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

dan kauye

Quote from: "Shiekh"yaya haka Dan kauye? za kayi ziga ne? peace ya.

nay sheikh babu batu ziga sai dai  gaskia.(wispering)...ka san g-naka baya so ayi maganar wani abu banda internet thingy anan
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

ummita

Quote from: "gogannaka"Topic slightly getting off-balance......it says how can internet be really cheap?
I dont see ideas flowing
Ehem ehemmmm, I think the first number one priority is to first tackle Nitel and their never ending issues. If only the rate of high billing of customers would decline & there will be a reliable, efficient service from Nitel, then maybe the cost of internet access might start to look promising.
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Shiekh

ok,
when NCC(communications commission) are considerate, or rather changes the way they are handling the issues like lisence(s). take for example that of ISM or 55band, which they are now trying to ban(ko sun yine ma). gaskiya there  is a need for a 2nd  thought? any idea?

zezezee

small mergin, long term investment is the only way out, not only in nigeria, but everywhere else people. But accompanying that is bussiness, social and political risk/stability, which, unfortunately is only in the rise in this great country of ours. But inshaAllah we'll get there in the nearest future. Since there is a market (population).

Hello people, longest tyme, been sucked up in work thats y the silence but muna tare. all da tyme.
Nitel is almost phased out of the telecommunication sector in this country (if not for the lucky bastards having a transmisssion backbone spanning the whole country). Glo is laying fibre Lag-Kan-Maid and very soon, we'll be making calls, browsing, watching TV on that. Thank God, at a very cheap rate.

So lets just give them some tyme n see wat they have for us.....
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

Gee

One big problem in Nigeria is our network infrastructure.It needs to be updated.There is a new technology in progress now called WIMAX.It's like broadband wireless connection with speeds up to 1.5mbps.
 From my perspective,either we update our network or use wimax when it's available.Then internet will be cheap and affordable
ano ta dabo tumbin giwa.Yaro koda me kazo an fika

gogannaka

Alas internet is becoming really cheap in Kano state,thanks to companies like megatech networks.....Now cafe's charge from 80 naira to 120 naira per hour.
For customers using the megatech voice line they are charged 2 naira per minute..
The company is now laying an underground fibre optic and copper backbone.They will use this backbone to employ land line telephony and DSL using distributive switching.....The phone line is expected to be bought at btw 9000 to 15000 naira and the data/internet tariff will be 1 naira per minute i.e 60 naira per hour............Is'nt internet becoming really cheap?........the first phase of the project is expected to be completed by the end of january.
The beautiful part of the story is that this company is 100 % owned by nigerians(yan kano for that matter) and managed wholly by nigerians.

Also starcomms has introduced the wifi technology( though im not sure if it works in kano) but you'll just buy a wireless pcmcia card with their acct and whala u have mobile internet..

Maybe when Glo activates it's fibre optic backbone ,who knows how much or less the internet will become?
ONLY TIME WILL TELL
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

zezezee

hmmm, this is a major step man!!

i think if this comes thru successfully, kano will be about the second place or city in nija to have a company other than NITEL with cables all over the town......

I am sure this will lower prices of services for telecoms and internet....

G-naka thanks for this great news man, pls keep us posted here man!
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

sdanyaro

Samanja - ECNX is also talking about a wireless/DSL solution for about 10,000 Naira per month. This is to start in February?

gogannaka

Thank God the competition in the Industry is forcing the prices down.
ECNX's dsl will certainly force starcomms's price of 15000 per month down.
We pray it becomes even cheaper.

sdanyaro

zezezee, gogannaka and all members,

Please while I do not want to go off topic from this good discussion, I want to find out about the VSat Solution... I know it is not a cheap solution... or just may be let me just start another topic...

Anonymous

gogannaka

Has the internet become cheap from the last post on this thread?
I'd say yes and from all indication it is going to be cheaper still.

In most parts of the country Wi-fi access costs N8,500 to N10,00/month.
The recent commissioning of the Nigcomsat(Nigerian communication satellite) should no doubt reduce the cost of satellite Bandwidth. I learnt that they (Nigcomsat) will offer unlimited broadband access across all states at N9000/month.

Also,a N54 billion trans-atlantic fibre optic cable is being laid by mainstreet technologies(MST) which have a capacity of 2.56 terabits and at a price that is 10% of the current price. The capacity of the optic fibre surpasses the current one being used i.e SAT3.The project will be due for commissioning in the first quarter of 2009.

Very likely,when the project is commissioned,DSL will become readily available throughout the country and at a cheap rate obtained in the states or UK.