News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Three female NYSC members raped, police arrest 3 suspects, in Delta State

Started by Muhsin, June 14, 2011, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Three female NYSC members raped, police arrest 3 suspects, in Delta State

Three female members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), serving in Delta State, have been reported attacked and raped in Owodokpokpo Igbide community, Isoko South Local Government Area of the state.

According to local sources, a six-man gang allegedly forced their way into the residence of the Corps members (who are serving as school teachers in the community), and dragged them into a nearby bush amidst gunshots.  After raping them, the men reportedly also took their cellphones and other items.

However, an intensive manhunt launched by security operatives has led to the arrest of three out of the six persons who are suspected to have carried out the act. The suspects are now being questioned by the police.

The Public Relations Officer of the Police in Delta State, Mr Charles Muka, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), confirmed to newsmen that the three suspects arrested had made useful statements to the Police. He said information obtained from those already in the net will help the police apprehend those still at large.

This incident is only the latest in a growing list of incidents of sexual violence against female NYSC members. Among the most reported cases since 2008, are the following:

On 23 October 2008, a horde of unidentified gunmen reportedly invaded the residence of the Corps members posted to Abonnema town, Akuku Toru Local Government Area of Rivers State, broke into every flat and raped 28 female members at gunpoint.

In October 2009, a female Corps member, Miss Grace Ushang, was raped to death in Maiduguri, Borno State, by suspected religious fundamentalists who said they were incited by her wearing a pair of regulation khaki trousers.

On 16 September 2010, five Corps members – four of them ladies – were seized by gunmen in Rivers State and taken to a forest in Abia State where they were held for 20 days; by the time they were freed by security forces on 4 October, there were unconfirmed reports that they had been sexually abused by their captors.

On 23 March this year, a traditional ruler, the Alowa of Ilowa-Ijesa in Obokun Local Government Council, Oba Bukola Alli, allegedly lured a 24-year-old female Corps member into his residence, locked her up and eventually raped her; the Oba is currently standing trial before an Osogbo Magistrate Court.

In April this year, during the post-election violence in Bauchi State in which 10 Corps members were killed, it was reported that "one of the NYSC members killed was pregnant and also raped by her killers".

This most recent incident, coming just a few days after gunmen seized another five Corps members and demanded a N100 million ransom in Rivers State, will certainly intensify the debate on whether the NYSC should be continued or scrapped.

http://saferafricagroup.com/2011/06/12/three-female-nysc-members-raped-police-arrest-3-suspects-in-delta-state/
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

What will take me there?! :o God willing I'm near my home-town--KT, JG or and others, which are within Northern enclave.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

Muhsin

Am going to Katsina state for the (NYSC) scheme. I leave on Tuesday, 5th July, 2011 God willing. Need your prayers, pls. Thanks