News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Good Manners of Eating and Drinking

Started by bamalli, July 23, 2013, 06:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamalli

An-Nawawi records in his book Riyad us-Saliheen:

Umar ibn Abu Salamah reported: I was under the care of the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, and my hand used to roam about the dish. The Prophet said to me:

يَا غُلَامُ سَمِّ اللَّهَ وَكُلْ بِيَمِينِكَ وَكُلْ مِمَّا يَلِيكَ

O boy, mention the name of Allah, eat with your right hand, and eat what it is front of you.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 5061, Grade: Mutaffaqun Alayhi

Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

إِذَا أَكَلَ أَحَدُكُمْ طَعَامًا فَلْيَقُلْ بِسْمِ اللَّهِ فَإِنْ نَسِيَ فِي أَوَّلِهِ فَلْيَقُلْ بِسْمِ اللَّهِ فِي أَوَّلِهِ وَآخِرِهِ

When one of you eats a meal, let him begin in the name of Allah. If he forgets to say it in the beginning, then let him say: In the name of Allah in its beginning and ending.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 1858, Grade: Sahih

Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

إِذَا دَخَلَ الرَّجُلُ بَيْتَهُ فَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ عِنْدَ دُخُولِهِ وَعِنْدَ طَعَامِهِ قَالَ الشَّيْطَانُ لَا مَبِيتَ لَكُمْ وَلَا عَشَاءَ وَإِذَا دَخَلَ فَلَمْ يَذْكُرْ اللَّهَ عِنْدَ دُخُولِهِ قَالَ الشَّيْطَانُ أَدْرَكْتُمْ الْمَبِيتَ وَإِذَا لَمْ يَذْكُرْ اللَّهَ عِنْدَ طَعَامِهِ قَالَ أَدْرَكْتُمْ الْمَبِيتَ وَالْعَشَاءَ

When a man enters his home and remembers Allah when he enters and while he eats, Satan says to himself: You have no place to spend the night and no meal for evening. When he enters his home without remembering of Allah, Satan says to himself: You have found a place to spend the night. When he does not remember Allah while he eats, Satan says: You have found a place to spend the night and an evening meal.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2018, Grade: Sahih

Hudhaifah reported: When we attended a meal with the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, we would not reach out for the food until the Prophet started eating first. On one occasion we were with him when a little girl rushed in as if someone was compelling her. She was about to touch the good when the Messenger of Allah caught her hand. Then a Bedouin rushed in as if someone was pushing him. The Prophet caught his hand as well and he said:

إِنَّ الشَّيْطَانَ يَسْتَحِلُّ الطَّعَامَ أَنْ لَا يُذْكَرَ اسْمُ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ وَإِنَّهُ جَاءَ بِهَذِهِ الْجَارِيَةِ لِيَسْتَحِلَّ بِهَا فَأَخَذْتُ بِيَدِهَا فَجَاءَ بِهَذَا الْأَعْرَابِيِّ لِيَسْتَحِلَّ بِهِ فَأَخَذْتُ بِيَدِهِ وَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ إِنَّ يَدَهُ فِي يَدِي مَعَ يَدِهَا

Verily, Satan makes lawful for himself the food over which the name of Allah is not mentioned. Satan brought this girl to make the food lawful by her but I caught her hand. Then he brought this man to make it lawful by him but I caught his hand as well. By him in whose hand is my soul, the hand of Satan is in my grasp along with them.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2017, Grade: Sahih

Umayyah ibn Makshi reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, was sitting while a man was eating food. The man did not mention the name of Allah until only a morsel of food was left. When he raised it to his mouth he said, "In the name of Allah in the beginning and the end." The Prophet smiled and then he said:

مَا زَالَ الشَّيْطَانُ يَأْكُلُ مَعَهُ فَلَمَّا ذَكَرَ اسْمَ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ اسْتَقَاءَ مَا فِي بَطْنِهِ

Satan had been eating with him but when he mentioned the name of Allah, Satan vomited all that was in his stomach.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 3768, Grade: Hasan

Aisha reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, was eating with six of his companions when a desert Arab came and ate all the food in two bites. The Messenger of Allah said:

أَمَا إِنَّهُ لَوْ سَمَّى لَكَفَاكُمْ

If he had mentioned the name of Allah, it would have sufficed for all of you.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 1858, Grade: Sahih

Abu Umamah reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, would finish a meal and he would say:

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ كَثِيرًا طَيِّبًا مُبَارَكًا فِيهِ غَيْرَ مَكْفِيٍّ وَلَا مُوَدَّعٍ وَلَا مُسْتَغْنًى عَنْهُ رَبَّنَا

All praises is due to Allah abundantly, purely, and blessed, neither insufficient, nor abandoned, nor ignored from our Lord.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 5142, Grade: Sahih

Mu'adh ibn Anas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

مَنْ أَكَلَ طَعَامًا ثُمَّ قَالَ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنِي هَذَا الطَّعَامَ وَرَزَقَنِيهِ مِنْ غَيْرِ حَوْلٍ مِنِّي وَلَا قُوَّةٍ غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِهِ وَمَا تَأَخَّرَ

Whoever eats a meal and then says: All praise is due to Allah who has fed me this food and provided for me without any power or strength from myself, then he will be forgiven his past and future sins.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 4023, Grade: Hasan

Abu Huraira reported:

مَا عَابَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ طَعَامًا قَطُّ إِنْ اشْتَهَاهُ أَكَلَهُ وَإِلَّا تَرَكَهُ

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, would never complain about food, but he would eat food he liked and he would leave what he disliked.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 3370, Grade: Sahih

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

إِذَا دُعِيَ أَحَدُكُمْ فَلْيُجِبْ فَإِنْ كَانَ صَائِمًا فَلْيُصَلِّ وَإِنْ كَانَ مُفْطِرًا فَلْيَطْعَمْ

If one of you is invited for a meal, let him respond. If he is fasting, let him pray for the host. If he is not fasting, let him eat.

Source: Sahih Muslim 1431, Grade: Sahih

Washi ibn Harb reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

فَاجْتَمِعُوا عَلَى طَعَامِكُمْ وَاذْكُرُوا اسْمَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ يُبَارَكْ لَكُمْ فِيهِ

Eat your meals together and mention the name of Allah over it. You will be blessed in it.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 3764, Grade: Sahih

Jabir reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

طَعَامُ الْوَاحِدِ يَكْفِي الِاثْنَيْنِ وَطَعَامُ الِاثْنَيْنِ يَكْفِي الْأَرْبَعَةَ وَطَعَامُ الْأَرْبَعَةِ يَكْفِي الثَّمَانِيَةَ

The food of one person is enough for two, and the food of two people is enough for four, and the food of four people is enough for eight.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2059, Grade: Sahih

Juhaifa reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

لَا آكُلُ مُتَّكِئًا

I do not eat while reclining.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 5083, Grade: Sahih

Anas ibn Malik reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, during a meal would lick what he ate with his three fingers and he would say:

إِذَا سَقَطَتْ لُقْمَةُ أَحَدِكُمْ فَلْيُمِطْ عَنْهَا الْأَذَى وَلْيَأْكُلْهَا وَلَا يَدَعْهَا لِلشَّيْطَانِ

When one of you drops a mouthful, he should remove any filth from it and then eat it, for he should not leave it for the devil.

The Messenger of Allah commanded us to wipe clean our dishes and he would say:

فَإِنَّكُمْ لَا تَدْرُونَ فِي أَيِّ طَعَامِكُمْ الْبَرَكَةُ

Verily, you do not know in which portion of your food is the blessing.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2034, Grade: Sahih

Anas ibn Malik reported:

أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ زَجَرَ عَنْ الشُّرْبِ قَائِمًا

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, disapproved of drinking while standing.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2024, Grade: Sahih

Ibn Abbas reported:

سَقَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ مِنْ زَمْزَمَ فَشَرِبَهُ وَهُوَ قَائِمٌ

I gave the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, a drink of water from the zamzam well and he drank it while standing.

Source: Sunan An-Nasa'i 2965, Grade: Sahih

Ibn Umar reported:

كُنَّا نَأْكُلُ عَلَى عَهْدِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَنَحْنُ نَمْشِي وَنَشْرَبُ وَنَحْنُ قِيَامٌ

During the lifetime of the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, we would eat while walking and drink while standing.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 1881, Grade: Sahih

Abu Qatadah reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

سَاقِي الْقَوْمِ آخِرُهُمْ شُرْبًا

The one who serves a drink to his guests should be the last to drink.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 1894, Grade: Sahih

Hudhaifa reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, forbade us from wearing silk and drinking from vessels of silver and gold and he said:

هُنَّ لَهُمْ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَهِيَ لَكُمْ فِي الْآخِرَةِ

These are for unbelievers in the world and believers in the Hereafter.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 5493, Grade: Sahih

Umm Salamah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

مَنْ شَرِبَ فِي إِنَاءٍ مِنْ ذَهَبٍ أَوْ فِضَّةٍ فَإِنَّمَا يُجَرْجِرُ فِي بَطْنِهِ نَارًا مِنْ جَهَنَّمَ

Whoever drinks from a vessel of gold or silver has only filled his stomach with the fire of Hell.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2065, Grade: Sahih