News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Manners of Travelling

Started by bamalli, July 29, 2013, 11:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamalli

An-Nawawi records in his book Riyad us-Saliheen:

Ibn Umar reported: When the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, would mount his camel for travel, he would exalt Allah three times and then he would say:

سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي سَخَّرَ لَنَا هَذَا وَمَا كُنَّا لَهُ مُقْرِنِينَ وَإِنَّا إِلَى رَبِّنَا لَمُنْقَلِبُونَ اللَّهُمَّ إِنَّا نَسْأَلُكَ فِي سَفَرِنَا هَذَا الْبِرَّ وَالتَّقْوَى وَمِنْ الْعَمَلِ مَا تَرْضَى اللَّهُمَّ هَوِّنْ عَلَيْنَا سَفَرَنَا هَذَا وَاطْوِ عَنَّا بُعْدَهُ اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ الصَّاحِبُ فِي السَّفَرِ وَالْخَلِيفَةُ فِي الْأَهْلِ اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ وَعْثَاءِ السَّفَرِ وَكَآبَةِ الْمَنْظَرِ وَسُوءِ الْمُنْقَلَبِ فِي الْمَالِ وَالْأَهْلِ

Glory be to Allah who has made this subservient to us, for we have no power over it and to our Lord we shall return. O Allah, we ask you during this journey of ours for righteousness, Godfearingness, and such deeds as are pleasing to you. O Allah, make this journey easy for us and make the distance short for us. O Allah, you are our companion during the journey and the guardian of the family and property in our absence. O Allah, I seek refuge in you from the hardships of travelling, the unhappiness of ugly scenes, and evil in property and family.

When the Prophet returned he would say these words and add to them:

آيِبُونَ تَائِبُونَ عَابِدُونَ لِرَبِّنَا حَامِدُونَ

We are those who return, those who repent, those who worship and who praise our Lord.

Source: Sahih Muslim 1342, Grade: Sahih

Anas ibn Malik reported: Abu Talha and I returned from a journey along with the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and Safiyya rode behind him on his camel. When we reached the outskirts of Medina, the Prophet said:

آيِبُونَ تَائِبُونَ عَابِدُونَ لِرَبِّنَا حَامِدُونَ

We are returning and repenting, worshiping our Lord and praising him.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 2919, Grade: Mutaffaqun Alayhi

Abdullah ibn Sarjis reported:

كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ إِذَا سَافَرَ يَتَعَوَّذُ مِنْ وَعْثَاءِ السَّفَرِ وَكَآبَةِ الْمُنْقَلَبِ وَالْحَوْرِ بَعْدَ الْكَوْنِ وَدَعْوَةِ الْمَظْلُومِ وَسُوءِ الْمَنْظَرِ فِي الْأَهْلِ وَالْمَالِ

When the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, set out on a journey, he would seek refuge in Allah from the hardships of travel, from the sorrow of return, from loss after plenty, from the supplication of the oppressed, and from an evil calamity in family and property.

Source: Sahih Muslim 1343, Grade: Sahih

Ali ibn Rabiah reported: I witnessed an animal being brought to Ali ibn Abu Talib for riding. When he put his foot in the stirrup, Ali said three times:

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ

In the name of Allah.

When he settled himself upon its back, he said:

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ ثُمَّ قَالَ  سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي سَخَّرَ لَنَا هَذَا وَمَا كُنَّا لَهُ مُقْرِنِينَ وَإِنَّا إِلَى رَبِّنَا لَمُنْقَلِبُونَ

All praise is due to Allah who has made this subservient to us, for we have no power over it, and to our Lord we will return.

Ali then recited three times:

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ

All praise is due to Allah.

And three times:

وَاللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ

Allah is the greatest.

Then he said:

سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي قَدْ ظَلَمْتُ نَفْسِي فَاغْفِرْ لِي فَإِنَّهُ لَا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ

Glorified are You. I have wronged myself so forgive me , for none can forgive sins but you.

Then he was smiling and it was said, "Why are you smiling, O leader of the believers?" Ali said:

رَأَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ صَنَعَ كَمَا صَنَعْتُ ثُمَّ ضَحِكَ فَقُلْتُ مِنْ أَيِّ شَيْءٍ ضَحِكْتَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ قَالَ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ لَيَعْجَبُ مِنْ عَبْدِهِ إِذَا قَالَ رَبِّ اغْفِرْ لِي ذُنُوبِي إِنَّهُ لَا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ غَيْرُكَ

I saw the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, doing as I have done. I asked him why he was smiling, and the Messenger of Allah said: Verily, your Lord is pleased when His servants seek His forgiveness, for verily, there is no forgiveness of sins except Your forgiveness.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 3446, Grade: Sahih

Jabir ibn Abdullah, may Allah be pleased with him, said:

كُنَّا إِذَا صَعِدْنَا كَبَّرْنَا وَإِذَا نَزَلْنَا سَبَّحْنَا

During travel, whenever we ascended a height we would exalt Allah, and whenever we descended we would glorify Allah.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 2831, Grade: Sahih

Abdullah ibn Umar reported: When the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, returned from an expedition or the Hajj pilgrimage or the Umrah pilgrimage, he would exalt Allah every time he ascended a height with three declarations. Then the Prophet would say:

لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لَا شَرِيكَ لَهُ لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ وَهُوَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ آيِبُونَ تَائِبُونَ عَابِدُونَ سَاجِدُونَ لِرَبِّنَا حَامِدُونَ صَدَقَ اللَّهُ وَعْدَهُ وَنَصَرَ عَبْدَهُ وَهَزَمَ الْأَحْزَابَ وَحْدَهُ

There is no God but Allah, who has no partner, to whom belongs the dominion and praise and who has power over all things. We are returning and repenting, worshiping and prostrating for our Lord and praising Him. Allah has fulfilled his promise and has supported his servant and has vanquished the confederates.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 1703, Grade: Mutaffaun Alayhi

Abu Huraira reported: A man said, "O Messenger of Allah, I intend to set out on a journey so advise me." The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

عَلَيْكَ بِتَقْوَى اللَّهِ وَالتَّكْبِيرِ عَلَى كُلِّ شَرَفٍ

You must be mindful of Allah and exalt Him every time you ascend a height.

The man left and the Prophet said:

اللَّهُمَّ اطْوِ لَهُ الْأَرْضَ وَهَوِّنْ عَلَيْهِ السَّفَرَ

O Allah, make the distance short for him and make his travels easy.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 3445, Grade: Hasan

Abu Musa Al-Ashari reported: We were on a journey with the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, and when we climbed a height we would declare the oneness of Allah and exalt Him. We raised our voices but the Prophet said:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ ارْبَعُوا عَلَى أَنْفُسِكُمْ فَإِنَّكُمْ لَا تَدْعُونَ أَصَمَّ وَلَا غَائِبًا إِنَّهُ مَعَكُمْ إِنَّهُ سَمِيعٌ قَرِيبٌ تَبَارَكَ اسْمُهُ وَتَعَالَى جَدُّهُ

O people, be easy upon yourselves. Verily, you are not calling upon one who is deaf or absent. Verily, He is near to you by hearing, blessed is His name and exalted is His majesty.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 2830, Grade: Sahih

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

ثَلَاثُ دَعَوَاتٍ مُسْتَجَابَاتٌ لَا شَكَّ فِيهِنَّ دَعْوَةُ الْمَظْلُومِ وَدَعْوَةُ الْمُسَافِرِ وَدَعْوَةُ الْوَالِدِ عَلَى وَلَدِهِ

Three supplications are always answered without a doubt: the supplication of an oppressed person, the supplication of a traveler, and the supplication of a parent for his child.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 1905, Grade: Sahih

Abu Musa Al-Ashari reported: When the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, feared evil from a man or a group of people, he would say:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَجْعَلُكَ فِي نُحُورِهِمْ وَنَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شُرُورِهِمْ

O Allah, we ask you to face them and we seek refuge in you from their evil.

Source: Musnad Ahmad 19220, Grade: Sahih

Khawla bint Hakeem reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

مَنْ نَزَلَ مَنْزِلًا ثُمَّ قَالَ أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ لَمْ يَضُرَّهُ شَيْءٌ حَتَّى يَرْتَحِلَ مِنْ مَنْزِلِهِ ذَلِكَ

Whoever enters a residence and then says I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from the evil He created, then nothing will harm him until he leaves that place.

Source: Sahih Muslim 2708, Grade: Sahih

Ibn Umar reported: Whenever the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, set out upon a journey, he would say by nightfall:

يَا أَرْضُ رَبِّي وَرَبُّكِ اللَّهُ أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنْ شَرِّكِ وَشَرِّ مَا فِيكِ وَشَرِّ مَا خُلِقَ فِيكِ وَمِنْ شَرِّ مَا يَدِبُّ عَلَيْكِ وَأَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنْ أَسَدٍ وَأَسْوَدَ وَمِنْ الْحَيَّةِ وَالْعَقْرَبِ وَمِنْ سَاكِنِ الْبَلَدِ وَمِنْ وَالِدٍ وَمَا وَلَدَ

O land, my Lord and your Lord is Allah. I seek refuge in Him from your evil, from the evil you contain, from the evil created in you, and from the evil of what walks upon you. I seek refuge in Allah from lions, from serpents, from scorpions, from the inhabitants of the land, and from the evil parent and his offspring.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 2603, Grade: Sahih

Sakhr ibn Al-Ghamidi reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

اللَّهُمَّ بَارِكْ لِأُمَّتِي فِي بُكُورِهَا

O Allah, bless my nation in their early morning.

Sakhr said:

وَكَانَ إِذَا بَعَثَ سَرِيَّةً أَوْ جَيْشًا بَعَثَهُمْ أَوَّلَ النَّهَارِ

Whenever the Prophet sent a group or a company, he would send them in the beginning of the day.

Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 1212, Grade: Hasan

Ibn Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

لَوْ يَعْلَمُ النَّاسُ مَا فِي الْوَحْدَةِ مَا أَعْلَمُ مَا سَارَ رَاكِبٌ بِلَيْلٍ وَحْدَهُ

If people knew the dangers of traveling alone, then no one would travel alone at night.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 2836, Grade: Sahih

Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

إِذَا خَرَجَ ثَلَاثَةٌ فِي سَفَرٍ فَلْيُؤَمِّرُوا أَحَدَهُمْ

If three people set out on a journey, they should appoint one of them as the leader.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 2608, Grade: Hasan

Sahl ibn Al-Hanzala reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, passed by a camel whose back had fallen to its stomach. The Prophet said:

اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ فِي هَذِهِ الْبَهَائِمِ الْمُعْجَمَةِ فَارْكَبُوهَا صَالِحَةً وَكُلُوهَا صَالِحَةً

Fear Allah concerning your animals. Ride them while they are in good condition and eat them while they are in good condition.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 2548, Grade: Sahih

Abdullah ibn Ja'far reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, seated me behind him on his ride one day and he told me a secret not to tell anyone else. The place of rest most beloved to the Messenger of Allah was a mound or a host of palm tree by which he would conceal himself. He entered a garden among the Ansar when a camel saw the Prophet and started weeping, making sounds as its tears flowed. The Prophet came to it and patted it on the head, so it became silent. The Prophet said:

مَنْ رَبُّ هَذَا الْجَمَلِ لِمَنْ هَذَا الْجَمَلُ

Who is the master of this camel? To whom does it belong?

A young man from the Ansar came and said, "This is mine, O Messenger of Allah." The Prophet said:

أَفَلَا تَتَّقِي اللَّهَ فِي هَذِهِ الْبَهِيمَةِ الَّتِي مَلَّكَكَ اللَّهُ إِيَّاهَا فَإِنَّهُ شَكَا إِلَيَّ أَنَّكَ تُجِيعُهُ وَتُدْئِبُهُ

Do you not fear Allah regarding this animal that Allah has put in your possession? Verily, she has complained to me that you keep her hungry and tired.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 2549, Grade: Sahih

Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri reported: We were travelling with the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, when a rider came and began to look right and left. The Prophet said:

مَنْ كَانَ مَعَهُ فَضْلُ ظَهْرٍ فَلْيَعُدْ بِهِ عَلَى مَنْ لَا ظَهْرَ لَهُ وَمَنْ كَانَ لَهُ فَضْلٌ مِنْ زَادٍ فَلْيَعُدْ بِهِ عَلَى مَنْ لَا زَادَ لَهُ

He who has an extra mount should give that to one who has no mount, and he who has surplus provisions should give them to he who has no provisions.

Source: Sahih Muslim 1728, Grade: Sahih

The Prophet mentioned so many kinds of wealth until we thought that none of us has a right to a surplus.

Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: When the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, decided to embark on an expedition, he would say:

يَا مَعْشَرَ الْمُهَاجِرِينَ وَالْأَنْصَارِ إِنَّ مِنْ إِخْوَانِكُمْ قَوْمًا لَيْسَ لَهُمْ مَالٌ وَلَا عَشِيرَةٌ فَلْيَضُمَّ أَحَدُكُمْ إِلَيْهِ الرَّجُلَيْنِ أَوْ الثَّلَاثَةِ

O Muhajirun and Ansar, there are among you people who have no property or family. Let everyone of you take along with him two or three men.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 2534, Grade: Sahih

There was none of us who had a spare animal so we took rides by turn. I took two or three men with me and I rode my camel by with them by turns.

Jabir ibn Abdullah reported:

كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَتَخَلَّفُ فِي الْمَسِيرِ فَيُزْجِي الضَّعِيفَ وَيُرْدِفُ وَيَدْعُو لَهُمْ

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, would stay in the behind while traveling and he would encourage the weak. He would take someone on his back and supplicate for him.

Source: Sunan Abu Dawud 2639, Grade: Sahih

Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

السَّفَرُ قِطْعَةٌ مِنْ الْعَذَابِ يَمْنَعُ أَحَدَكُمْ طَعَامَهُ وَشَرَابَهُ وَنَوْمَهُ فَإِذَا قَضَى نَهْمَتَهُ فَلْيُعَجِّلْ إِلَى أَهْلِهِ

Travel is a portion of torment. It prevents one of you from eating, drinking, and sleeping, so when you have finished your purpose then quickly return to your families.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 1710, Grade: Mutaffaqun Alayhi

Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

إِذَا أَطَالَ أَحَدُكُمْ الْغَيْبَةَ فَلَا يَطْرُقَنَّ أَهْلَهُ لَيْلًا

When one of you returns from a long journey, then let him not surprise his family in the night.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 4946, Grade: Sahih

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

لَا يَحِلُّ لِامْرَأَةٍ تُؤْمِنُ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ أَنْ تُسَافِرَ مَسِيرَةَ يَوْمٍ وَلَيْلَةٍ لَيْسَ مَعَهَا حُرْمَةٌ

It is not lawful for a woman who believes in Allah and the Last Day to travel for a day and a night without her guardian.

Source: Sahih Bukhari 1038, Grade: Sahih

Ibn Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

لَا يَخْلُوَنَّ رَجُلٌ بِامْرَأَةٍ وَلَا تُسَافِرَنَّ امْرَأَةٌ إِلَّا وَمَعَهَا مَحْرَمٌ

No man should be alone with a woman, and a woman should not travel except with her guardian.

A man stood up and said, "O Messenger of Allah, I have been enrolled in an expedition and my wife has left for the pilgrimage." The Prophet said:

اذْهَبْ فَحُجَّ مَعَ امْرَأَتِكَ

Go and perform the pilgrimage with your wife.