News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MAN UTD OFFICIAL NEWS>

Started by kariballa, October 05, 2003, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

RIO STILL WAITING
Monday 13th October 2003

Rio Ferdinand is still waiting for a decision over his future after PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor confirmed the process is ongoing with regards to his failure to undertake a random drugs test.
Taylor spoke to reporters after the Manchester United defender declined to comment with Old Trafford lawyer Maurice Watkins and FA representative Steve Barrow also relatively tight-lipped on the lengthy meeting in Manchester.

"The atmosphere was cordial," disclosed Taylor. "It's the interview process. It was a chat.

"I was happy with the way it was conducted. He was given every opportunity to give a full and detailed explanation.

"I would expect a decision, I would hope, probably in a few days, maybe seven days.

"I would hope so because it's been the centre of attention for too long and could be dealt with as efficiently as possible.

"Evidence was discussed and considered. We are where we are and that's an issue we've got to address.

"We attempt to retain confidentiality until the process is followed, and that due process began today, and The FA are aware of that.

"We are where we are. The game is so high profile, it's very difficult to retain confidentiality but, once the decision was taken to leave him out of the England squad, it was inevitable he would be named.

"I hope that is borne in mind when consideration is made of what Rio has to say as I, for one, know he has already faced a penalty.

"His name was castigated all over the world, on the front page of newspapers, and he was condemned for drugs when he made his stance very clear. He's never touched drugs and does a lot of work in inner city areas and speaks to youngsters about the dangers of drugs, and he did repeat that today.

"It (the meeting) didn't take that long. It was about two hours and a statement needs to be made.

"Because, in the initial stage, people have to be very careful about the words they use (it's dragged on)."

Taylor made it clear that Ferdinand is fully aware of the severity of the issue he finds himself embroiled in.

"Rio's mood is he understands the problems causde by him not taking the tests as required at that time and reiterated his attempts to get the tests done in the same day," he added.

"He's certainly taking it seriously now and took it seriously the minute he remembered and made every attempt to get tested that day.

"Of course, they want to see evidence in terms of phone calls etc."

Watkins, the legal man for United, did say he expected a decision to be made "shortly", and said he felt pleased with the way the talks were progressing.

United did later issue a statement on Ferdinand's behalf, which briefly outlined the nature of the discussions.

"In accordance with the FA procedures and timetable, I participated today in an FA interview and provided the association with a full and detailed explanation of my failure to take a random test on September 23," it read.

"My explanation dealt with a number of issues, including the reasons why I failed to attend the test and my attempts to rectify the situation with a test the same day.

"I also reiterated my condemnation of drugs in sport."

The FA have refused to comment at this moment in time.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Rio Ferdinand has thanked his England colleagues for their unwavering support during a turbulent past week for the Manchester United defender.
The 24-year-old faces a crucial interview with The Football Association on Monday to explain his reasons for missing a drugs test.

Ferdinand's oversight cast an ominous shadow over England's preparations for the crucial Euro 2004 qualifier against Turkey after The FA omitted the centre half from the squad.

The FA's firm stance on the matter caused ructions within the England camp and left the squad teetering on the brink of strike in support of Ferdinand.

The players revealed their dismay at The FA's handling of the thorny issue before eventually backing down and consenting to play in Istanbul, where England ground out the draw required to send the nation to the Euro 2004 finals.

An intervention from Ferdinand, who pleaded with his international colleagues not to strike, appeared to sway the players' minds in to making the trip to Turkey.

Ferdinand was delighted his team-mates overcame the furore created by his own costly mistake and has thanked the players for their backing.

"It's been great to know I have had their support in what has been a difficult time," Ferdinand told The Sun.

"But the most important thing is we got the result required and England are going to the finals in Portugal.

"The boys played great. It was a pleasure to watch them.

"I was kicking every ball but they seemed to have everything under control. Every player did his job superbly."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

FA Chief Executive Mark Palios has denied the Football Association breached confidentiality regulations over Rio Ferdinand's missed drugs test.

Ferdinand's name was made public after missing a drugs test on 23 September before the disciplinary process was complete, but the FA deny they "leaked any confidential information".

Palios said: "Some people have questioned whether we have at any point stepped outside our due process for disciplinary decisions. I can confirm that we have not. Our decision to exclude Rio was a policy decision in our role representing 'England team' affairs and was not part of the formal disciplinary process.

"It's also very important to note that at no time did we breach confidentiality," reaffirmed Palios. "The FA's statement on the matter came many hours after Rio Ferdinand was named in public comments from both Manchester United, the PFA and, it would appear, from numerous other sources. To the best of my knowledge this organisation did not leak any confidential information."

Palios has, however, instructed a full review of the FA's procedures. "The events of the past week have become one of the highest profile issues in The FA's history and we need to ensure that we learn from this experience too, I have initiated a full review," he explained.

"In the meantime, I will of course be meeting with Manchester United and the PFA to ensure these important footballing relationships move forward in the most positive way. The crux of this matter is not about disagreements between major footballing bodies, it concerns the importance of The FA's anti-doping programme and The FA's right to govern the game with integrity. And despite huge public and media pressure neither of these points were negotiable.

"It is of course now time to move on. Let's hope that Saturday night's result focuses everyone back on the positive aspects of the English game.

"England's qualification for Euro 2004 is great news for the team, The FA and for the whole of English football," added Palios.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Ruud van Nistelrooy is desperate to regain his place in Dick Advocaat's Dutch squad for next month's play-off matches with Scotland.

Ruud was left out of the squad for the inconsequential final group game against Moldova on Saturday after a touchline tantrum following his substitution in the 3-1 defeat to the Czech Republic. Van Nistelrooy apologised, but Advocaat was determined to make a case in point. But now Ruud wants back in the side.

"You always want to play for your country, and what happened has made me even more determined to come back and help Holland get to the finals," van Nistelrooy said. "The manager gave me his reasons for leaving me out, and I had to accept them. I thought everything had been sorted out, but he decided to leave me out to make an example of me.

"I was so disappointed to be left out of the last squad and I'm desperate to be back in it for the play-offs," Ruud added.

Holland finished second in Group Three, and entered into the draw for the Euro 2004 play-offs. The Dutch will face Berti Vogts' Scotland next month in a last ditch attempt to reach Portugal.

And for Ruud, his time away from the international scene has only made him hungrier to regain his place.

"Missing out was really tough, which is why all the Dutch players are so determined to make it to Portugal," he said.

If van Nistelrooy does reclaim his place in Advocaat's squad, he will come up against fellow United team-mate Darren Fletcher, who scored the goal that put Scotland in the play-offs against Lithuania on Saturday. Ruud believes the 19-year-old Reds starlet has a bright future.

"Darren is a wonderful young player with a great future," he said. "He's broken into the first team at United this season and has proved he can handle himself there."

For Ruud the Scotland clash will be his second trip north of the border in as many months. United face Rangers in the Champions League at Ibrox next week, and then in the return leg at Old Trafford in November. And the English-Scottish rivalry is not lost on the Dutchman.

"The game against Rangers promises to be a fantastic occasion," Ruud said. "As a player you always want to play in the big games, and I'm certainly no different. Maybe it would mean a lot more to me if I were British, in terms of the rivalry, but I know how much it means to both sets of fans to get a result."

While's Ruud's place, as long as he remains fit, is gauranteed for United's trip to Ibrox, his place in the Orange shirt at Hampden is slightly more precarious.

Report by Ben Hibbs.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

RIO READY TO FACE LEEDS
Tuesday 14th October 2003

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand will be available for selection for this weekend's clash against former club Leeds United.
Ferdinand's availability had been in doubt after he was questioned by The Football Association for missing a random drugs test.

United chief executive David Gill insists Ferdinand will line-up at Elland Road despite being under investigation from The Football Association.

"Rio will continue to be selected until such time as whatever punishment is decided upon is meted out and begins," said Gill.

"The manager and his United team-mates would want him to be selected I am sure. As a club we'd be comfortable with him being chosen. We clearly know the facts behind the case and there is no moral dilemma.

"The club has reacted in the past when it felt it was necessary to do so."

FA chief executive Mark Palios has defended the organisations actions surrounding Ferdinand.

"Some people have questioned whether we have at any point stepped outside our due process for disciplinary decisions," Palios said in a letter to FA staff.

"I can confirm that we have not. Our decision to exclude Rio was a policy decision in our role representing 'England team' affairs and was not part of the formal disciplinary process.

"It's also very important to note that at no time did we breach confidentiality.

"The FA's statement on the matter came many hours after Rio Ferdinand was named in public comments from both Manchester United, the PFA and, it would appear, from numerous other sources.

"To the best of my knowledge this organisation did not leak any confidential information."

Meanwhile, Fifa have called on The FA to come down hard on Ferdinand for the offence and have promised to act should they fail to do so.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

PERRIN STILL KEEN ON BARTHEZ
Wednesday 15th October 2003

Marseille boss Alain Perrin says he is still pondering a move for Manchester United goalkeeper Fabien Barthez.
With Cedric Carasso out for the rest of the season following knee surgery, the Stade Velodrome outfit know they need to bring in a quality replacement if they are to keep competing at home and in the Champions League.

Marseille have been on the track of their former European Cup winning custodian for the couple of weeks, but Perrin says no agreement with The Red Devils has been concluded yet.

"We're still on the Barthez track," Perrin told reporters.

"He is in our plans but we have not yet started a serious negotiation to see whether we can reach an agreement.

"We would be heading for a loan more than for a proper transfer," Perrin added.

However, Old Trafford counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson has made it clear that any deal for his French shot stopper would have to be on a permanent basis rather than a loan deal.

The former Monaco man has been relegated to third choice this season behind US international Tim Howard and Roy Carroll and has stressed in the past that he has had no contact with other clubs regarding a transfer.

Les Bleus star Barthez may even reject the chance should Marseille follow up their interest with a bid as he is likely to be second-choice to Vedran Runje.

Perrin added though that he was mainly checking possible recruits on the continent, rather than those plying their trade in Le Championnat.

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

FIFA WATCHING RIO OUTCOME

Fifa will be keeping an eye on The Football Association's handling of the Rio Ferdinand affair, and may step in if they think the punishment is not correct.
Ferdinand has already attended a hearing with The FA and is now awaiting his punishment for failing to attend a routine drug test.

With the eyes of the football world looking at Soho Square for details of Ferdinand's sanction, world football's governing body has said it will be watching.

Fifa's Michel D'Hooghe, head of the medical committee, says that they will only step in should they feel the FA's punishment does not fit the charge.

"This is a serious case. Ferdinand certainly has to be punished," said D'Hooghe.

"Fifa is waiting to assess whether a serious sanction is forthcoming - one which fits the infringement.

"We will let the English do their work first. If everything is correct, we won't have to do anything.

"Fifa uses their rules as a guideline but they are not binding. We are applying individual case management in these circumstances.

"The sanction could be less than two years or it could be more."

The comments from Fifa will serve to pile even more pressure on FA boss Mark Palios to make sure the Manchester United defender is dealt with although the affair continues to rumble on.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

GUNNERS ADMIT TO FA CHARGES

Arsenal have admitted to nine misconduct charges relating to the Old Trafford brawl against Manchester United, while The Red Devils have denied any wrongdoing.
Ashley Cole, Patrick Vieira, Martin Keown, Ray Parlour, Lauren and Jens Lehmann have all admitted to their charges following the fiery exchanges at the final whistle of the goalless draw with the Premiership champions.

Martin Keown is the alleged worst offender with three charges against him for his treatment of Ruud van Nistelrooy, while Ray Parlour had admitted to two charges of improper conduct towards both van Nistelrooy and Gary Neville.

The Gunners have decided to take their punishment and accept the charges brought against them and they now face fines and suspension to several key players - along with the possibility of points being deducted.

Manchester United have denied having any part in the fracas, with both Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo denying charges of improper conduct for their clashes with Arsenal players after the final whistle.

The FA will now consider what punishment should be handed out to the North London side and hefty bans could seriously dent their title challenge.

Soho Square officials will also have to decide if United have a case to answer too after denying any charges against them.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Robert Pires has moved to dispel the notion that there is bad blood between Arsenal and Manchester United players.
Temperatures have often boiled over when the two teams have locked horns, with the latest meeting between the pair resulting in a glut of FA charges.

Arsenal's Cameroon international Lauren turned up the heat on Tuesday by pointing the finger of blame for the recent problems squarely at United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.

It is evident The Premiership's big two are less than enamoured with each other, but Gunners star Pires believes it is just a case of rivalry between two great teams.

"There is no hatred between us, but we (Arsenal) are always targets," Pires said from France's training camp, Clairefontaine.

Pires feels that Arsenal are not getting a fair deal with the authorities, claiming it could be to do with the large number of non-English players that are in Arsene Wenger's team.

The former Marseille man continued: "This could be because we are a team with not enough English players.

"We are not a team that is perceived as an English team - that is what we believe.

"Manchester United are the favourite team of the English."

Pires turned his attentions to the off-field troubles that are currently blighting the English game - saying he is relieved Arsenal are not involved in any scandal.

"We live in a very tense climate at the moment," said Pires. "It's very heavy to bear and gives a bad image.

"There is no Arsenal player involved and that is a relief. We have spoken a lot amongst us. There are lots of rumours but nothing has happened with us.

"I am just happy to get a breath of fresh air in Clairefontaine, given the pressure at the moment."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Mikael Silvestre reckons that United need only a change in fortunes if they are to reclaim the Champions League trophy again.

The French defender, who joined after United's 1999 Treble season, said: "The difference between winning and losing at this level is so small.

"Look what happened to Real Madrid after they beat us last season, they did nothing against Juventus.

"If we had played another team in the quarter final, then played Madrid after that, maybe we would have got through to the final. It was the luck of the draw."

He added: "Every year since I came to the club, we have not been far from the final. We have reached three quarter-finals and the semi-final so I don't think we have a lot to improve on."

Silvestre also played down the notion that United are a weaker team than in previous campaigns.

He said: "Yes, we have lost David Beckham and Juan Sebastian Veron, but the young talented players we have signed will be ready by the end of the season and will improve the level of the team."

Report by Steve Bartram
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

zezezee

MAN UTD aint shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u r goin no where this season.......
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

zezezee

MAN UTD aint sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u r goin no where this season.......
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

Sas

zezezee just a little correction :-[

you wrote "manutd aint nuts/shit"

what that means is that manutd ARE NOT (aint) those things.

then you said they are "not goin anywhere this season"

that mean you don't know what you are saying and its obvious.

The thing is that ManU lost two of their best players but still ManU na ManU and we shall see at the end of the season. Insha Allah.

Hope you don't mind the correction.
ny good thing I said is from Allah and any bad thing I said is from me...So I ask for Allah's forgiveness for my errors both conscious and unconscious ones...Ameen!!!

kariballa

UNITED AGREE BARTHEZ SWITCH
Thursday 16th October 2003

Marseille have agreed a deal with Manchester United that will see Fabien Barthez move back to France until the end of the season.
The French international is now set to agree terms over the weekend on the deal.

L'OM revealed on Friday that their general manager Phillipe Piola had flown to England to broker a deal and now both clubs have struck an agreement.

Barthez, subject to agreeing terms, will rival Croatian star Vedran Runje for the number one jersey at The Stade Velodrome.

The club's president Christophe Bouchet confirmed a deal had been agreed with the English champions.

"Everyone has agreed on this," he said.

"L'OM need to count on two keepers of the highest level if we are to have the ambitions of being at the highest level.

"Fabien will be happy to come as he can prepare for the Euro [European Championships] and because in Manchester he does not play anymore."

The deal is subject to Fifa approval, but the deal should be signed and sealed by Monday at the latest.

Bouchet confirmed that Barthez will have to fight Runje for the goalkeeping spot.

"I must say the goalkeeper of L'OM is Vedran Runje and he will remain," he added.

"It will do him good to train with a player who has been at the top for the last 10 years."

Barthez has not played in France since 2000 when he left Monaco for United - before that he spent three years with Marseille from 1992 to 1995.

United have stated that the deal is 'not done', but the move - subject to Fifa approval - should be sealed by Monday.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

FERGUSON TO FACE FA ON MONDAY
Thursday 16th October 2003

Sir Alex Ferguson will appear before a Football Association disciplinary hearing on Monday to answer misconduct charges.
The Manchester United manager elected to have a personal hearing after being charged on two seperate counts relating to the meeting with Newcastle on August 23.

The first charge relates to alleged 'improper conduct' while the Scot faces an additional count of using insulting or abusive language to the fourth official.

Ferguson faces a possible touchline ban if he is found guilty of the charges which were brought after his tirade aimed at fourth official Jeff Winter and referee Uriah Rennie.

Should he be found guilty, Ferguson's previous good conduct will be taken into account although the FA commission would take a dim view if it is proved that he labelled any of the officials as "cheats".

The FA released a statement on Thursday saying: "The FA confirmed today that Sir Alex Ferguson's disciplinary hearing will take place on Monday, 20th October.

Ferguson was charged on 28th August with misconduct for breaches of FA Rule E1 and E2.

"The charges related to the alleged use of abusive and/or insulting language to a match official during the match between Newcastle United and Manchester United on Saturday, 23rd August."

Ferguson was captured on Sky Sports delivering an angry verbal volley at Winter after referee Rennie had already ordered the Scot from the St James' Park touchline.

Ferguson was furious at Rennie's failure to award a free-kick and send off Andy O'Brien after the Newcastle defender's challenge on Ryan Giggs when he was clear on goal.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.