News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Started by kariballa, December 01, 2002, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Sol Campbell is likely to miss Arsenal's Premiership showdown with Manchester United following the death of his father, reports The Sun.

Campbell played in the Gunners' 3-0 Champions League defeat by Inter on Wednesday night despite his Dad suffering a stroke on Tuesday.

However, Arsenal have now told their England centre back to take as much time off as he needs.

This could signal a recall for Martin Keown alongside either Pascal Cygan or Kolo Toure for Sunday's Old Trafford crunch.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Fergie's View: Arsenal preview  

19/9/03 3:00 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson spoke to the press ahead of United's crunch Premiership clash with Arsenal. This is what the boss had to say...

Was the performance against Pana the best of the season?
"Yeah I would think so. It was a very good performance. I thought the speed of our play was good, we had a good determination to win the ball back off them and going in 4-0 at half-time was a perfect set-up for me because I was able to take some players off, bring the younger ones in and protect the ones who came off with the little injuries they had. So it was a good night for us and I think we deserved to get the praise."

On Tim Howard
"He's been superb. He's caught everyone by surprise. They thought maybe a few months getting used to English football, but the lad has been sensational. His save on Tuesday night was outstanding. It was a difficult one because the cross had come in from the right, the attacker's come in on the blind side of one of the defenders and it was a marvellous header by him, but it was a very, very good save."

Were you surprised by the Arsenal v Inter result?
"Yeah I was. Arsenal, you don't expect them to lose that way, but football's a funny game and they were chasing a bit. Once they lost the two goals it was always going to be difficult for them, and Inter Milan are a very determined team. But that doesn't make any difference to Sunday's game. They say that they'll be more determined coming to Old Trafford on Sunday, but we expected that. We expected an Arsenal team to be determined, they were determined on Wednesday, so it'll be a good game."

Should we beware a wounded Arsenal?
"As I said, I don't expect Arsenal to be any different in that respect. I think there's only so much effort you can put into a football match and I think Arsenal do it all the time. We're in this situation now that we are at the moment. Our form has been very good I think, there's a great atmosphere among the players, they're all keen to do well again this season they showed that last year, so for us it's an important game. It's not the crucial game as some may point to because there's so much time to go. It's only September. You don't get the cup now, you don't get the medals now. But what we hope is that by getting the result it will be significant by the end of the season."

How important is keeping the discipline?
"Well I think Manchester United's discipline's been fantastic. I don't know how many times we've won the Fair Play award, whether that's a significant achievement, but nontheless it does tell you we've got a good discipline among us and so we will be making sure our discipline is good on Sunday.

Injuries ahead of Sunday?
"We've got several little bumps and bruises which we've been carrying for a couple of weeks now. John O'Shea from internationals, Mikael Silvestre from internationals, Ole Gunnar from internationals, Nicky Butt from internationals and Roy with his ankle injury. But they've all been getting good treatment this week. We've had that extra day to recover from Tuesday night's game. With the game being Sunday it's really five days for us, so we've had a chance to patch up two or three of them and hopefully we'll get a strong side out on Sunday."

Will Phil Neville's performance in the same game last year be considered?
"Of course it will be. Phil's form this year has been outstanding. I think there's been a great turnaround in fortunes for Phil. He's back in the England squad, I think he's been great for them, I think he's getting recognition from a lot of the critics who were killing him a couple of years back and I think that helps. So I think with Phil you're seeing a maturing player who's doing a great job for us.

Not such an intense game so early in the season?
"Well I think the game, if you go to Highbury last year that was crucial time then. Obviously we had to get a result that night, we were just barely top of the league, we'd just gone top of the league and so therefore going away from there without losing was vital. I thought we were a bit unlucky to be honest with you. As their second goal proved. It was a mile offside but we rescued the game, we came away with something and there was nothing really, apart from Sol Campbell getting sent off, nothing really happened in that game. It was a good, competitive game played in the right spirit, well handled by the referee, great atmosphere and that's the kind of platform great players want. And now they've got that on Sunday again."

Ronaldo
"Well, he's only 18, first of all, and he's not 19 until February. So therefore there is a need to maintain a watch on the lad in terms of his fitness and things like that and give him a rest at the proper time. But also give him the work he needs to improve him, and we know young players need to be improved at that age. He's a very talented boy, there's no question about that."

Keane's injury
"Nothing needs to be done with the ankle. What you read in the paper about being out for six months or whatever it was is some cock-and-bull story anyway. His ankle's fine. All we need to do is decide if he's ready for Sunday."

Scholes
"Paul Scholes, hopefully, will go into training next week. It's a crucial week for us that'll decide the next step we take. If he comes through then it's possible we can get him back into the team."

Report by Steve Bartram
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

Venom

Come on Arsenal, I believe we can beat United on Sunday the only thing the would let us down is the back but know the Sol's dad is dead i believe if he plays he would play 4 him and he will be at his best on sunday. The only person the would kill the party is the hottest striker in europe now Ruud. If United should win it would be because of him.
IKED BY FEW, HATED BY MANY, RESPECTED BY ALL

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

Venom

Man to tell u the truth I would be really happy if we can get a draw cause man the back has 2 many holes in it. I guess we just have 2 wait and see.
IKED BY FEW, HATED BY MANY, RESPECTED BY ALL

Sas

Salamu Alaikum

Yallabai Allah ya kaimu goben.

Hakane venom gwara a bari sai goben sannan ace wani abu kada a kuma ta shekarar bara inda kuka rika yin kuri ai kofin nakune amma sai kawai aka nuna muku ai na gaba yayi gaba.

Kafin goben kuma bara nayi maganar championsleague. ARSENAL 0-3 INTER

to shidai wannan wasan ban kalle shiba amma nasan cewa ba kawai cinsu akai ba an wulakanta su ne sai dai kuma ni bana son a ci Arsenal a Champions league. In san samu ne ma ManU da Arsenal da Chealsea duk su fito tare a semi finals tare da Madrid. ManU suci Arsenal Madrid suci Chealsea mu kuma muci Madrid a finals din. Wanna shi zai zamo 'perfect' a gareni.

Amma indai cinsu da Inter tayi zaisa mucisu to Allah ya kara 'Gunners' sai a yi hakuri.

'For' gobe kuma sai muyi addua Allah yasa Muci su Ameen summa Ameen. In za'a maimaita 6-1 dinna shekarar baya da naji dadi.

Kuma wai da kace wai Campbell zai buga wa Babanshi ball ai baka san mutuwar iyaye bane shi yasa ka fadi haka. Banaji zai iya yin wasa sai dai in dama can tsakanin nasu bashi da karfi.

Bissalam
ny good thing I said is from Allah and any bad thing I said is from me...So I ask for Allah's forgiveness for my errors both conscious and unconscious ones...Ameen!!!

kariballa

Skipper Roy Keane is set to return from an ankle injury for Sunday's crucial Barclaycard Premiership showdown with Arsenal.

The Irishman was an unused substitute on Tuesday as United romped to their 5-0 Champions League win over Panathinaikos but is fit to face the Gunners.

Phil Neville, Quinton Fortune and John O'Shea know their places are most at risk from Keane's return.

Manchester United (from): Howard, Carroll, G Neville, P Neville, Silvestre, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Fortune, Butt, Solskjaer, Ronaldo, Keane, Djemba-Djemba, Giggs, van Nistelrooy, Forlan, Fletcher, Richardson.

Martin Keown is set to start for just the second time this season in Sunday's Sky Live game at Old Trafford following the death of Sol Campbell's father.

Campbell is not a definite absentee, but Arsenal have told him to take as much time as he needs to be with his family.

Arsene Wenger said: "You have to leave these decisions to the players. It can be a kind of therapy if he plays. You can get away and concentrate on something else. It is how everybody feels in that situation that dictates the attitude.

"But it will be left to Sol. We will respect whatever he decides to do at such a terrible time for him."

Keown is likely to partner Kolo Toure in the centre of defence, despite the young Ivory Coast international's inexperience in the position being exposed by Inter in midweek.

Wenger must decide whether to shuffle his pack elsewhere or give the side humbled at Highbury a chance to redeem themselves.

Dennis Bergkamp is in contention for a starting spot in attack, while Ray Parlour could replace Gilberto Silva in midfiled following a series of poor displays from the Brazilian.

Arsenal (from): Lehmann, Stack, Lauren, Cole, Toure, Campbell, Keown, Cygan, Vieira, Gilberto Silva, Edu, Parlour, Pires, Ljungberg, Wiltord, Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu, Aliadiere
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Since the Premier League began, there have only been three winners of the prestigious trophy. Between them United and Arsenal have topped the final table in 10 of 11 seasons (let's please forget the 1994/95 season).

On Sunday the top two teams in England do battle again, with the victors sure to gain an early season psychological boost from overcoming their nearest rivals. Here we compare the squads in a bid to find out who will emerge from Sunday's showdown on top of the league:

Keepers - Both goalkeepers have played only a handful of games for their new clubs, but have already managed to impress in a short space of time. Tim Howard's athleticism and quick distribution have given United a reliability and also brought back the possibility of quick counter-attacks. Meanwhile, Lehmann had the unenviable task of replacing Arsenal legend David Seaman at Highbury, yet has so far made a seamless transition. The big German's style and demeanour between the posts is eerily reminiscent of the ponytailed one, and he fits perfectly into a fairly solid Arsenal backline.

Defence - United have conceded two goals so far this season in comparison to Arsenal's three, so clearly both backlines are fairly dependable. With Wes Brown still out injured, United are likely to start with John O'Shea at left back, Gary Neville at right-back and Rio Ferdinand will partner Mikael Silvestre in central defence to combat the pace of Thierry Henry. Arsene Wenger, meanwhile, will have to choose whether to play Martin Keown or Kolo Toure alongside Sol Campbell in the centre of defence. Much berated England left-back Ashley Cole will go up against Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, while Lauren (fresh from his spectacular take-a-touch-and-finish own goal against Manchester City) will occupy the right-back berth. Wenger will have to consider whether to play the inexperienced Toure or risk another spat between Keown and Van Nistelrooy.

Midfield - Much for United hinges on the fitness of skipper Roy Keane, obviously. If he is passed fit to play, then he should start alongside Nicky Butt and Phil Neville, who of course reaped much of the acclaim for last season's win over Arsenal at Old Trafford. That day, Patrick Vieira was a frustrated figure and will feel he has a point to prove this time around. With Gilberto, Freddie Ljungberg and Robert Pires alongside him, the Arsenal midfield looks as ominously strong as ever. If United's three defensive midfielders can keep a tight rein on their London counterparts, as was the case last season, then they can go a long way to inspiring a home win.

Attack - Ryan Giggs and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be very busy on Sunday, as they will have to alternate between tracking back to help the defensive midfielders and sprinting forward to aid lone striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy upfront. If United can work the ball through the big Dutchman and lend him enough support, then there are goals to be had. Ideally, Paul Scholes would be doing this job, but he is almost certain to miss the game thanks to his much publicised stomach injury. Arsenal will rely on the brilliant Thierry Henry to undo United's defence, and he will be supported by the ever-dangerous Sylvain Wiltord. If Henry is given room to maneouvre in and around the box then United will be heavily punished.

Verdict - You might as well to toss a coin. These two teams are unquestionably England's finest and are fairly evenly matched in every department. Expect them to be separated by brilliant individual skill or goals from set-pieces. I'm going to stick my neck out and say a 1-1 draw. Given the absence of Scholes, this really wouldn't be too bad a result. As such, Arsenal will stay top, but they shouldn't get too comfortable.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

True, the first half provided little in the way of excitement in front of goal and nerve-tingling football, but there was still a tense undercurrent which is invariably prevalent when these teams meet.

Still, there was no hint of the amazing scenes which occurred during the closing stages as Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira was dispatched to the dressing room and Ruud van Nistelrooy blasted a penalty against visitors’ woodwork.

Tempers flared and there were angry exchanges as the game descended into a running battle near the end.

In recent years the Premiership race has melted down to a virtual straight fight between United and Arsenal which unsurprisingly saw all league meetings between the clubs automatically billed as ‘title-deciders’. But this game was far from that and the reason for the remarkable events in the last ten minutes will surely be investigated by the FA Premier League.  

United have, of course, dominated the top division since its metamorphosis into the Premiership in 1992 and Arsenal have rarely been far off the pace. Other clubs have posted their intent along the way, but in the end only Blackburn Rovers, in 1995, have been the only other club to interrupt United’s hegemony.

Now, with Chelsea’s rouble-fueled revolution gaining some momentum and Liverpool winning matches on a regular basis again there seems a decent chance that this season’s race to the tape could in include a few extra serious contenders than usual.

Whatever surprises the next few months may hold there is no getting away from the fact that when the Red Devils and Gunners meet it’s always one of the highlights of the season.

Today’s clash at Old Trafford arrived too early in the season to have any real bearing on the outcome of the championship – not even United can claim to have annexed the title in September – but that didn’t stop it from receiving the customary media hype and overblown build-up.

United prepared for the showdown with a ridiculously easy 5-0 UEFA Champions League win over Panathinaikos, whilst Arsenal slumped to an alarming 3-0 defeat at home to Internazionale in their opening group game.

It was a beautifully warm  and pleasant day in Manchester as the match started with United attacking the Stretford End goal. The atmosphere as expected was crackling with both sets of fans raising the decibel level from the off.

Arsenal, wearing their ‘Brazil’ kit of yellow shirts and blue shorts were, without Robert Pires whilst United welcomed back skipper Roy Keane and Cristiano Ronaldo, both of whom sat out the midweek cakewalk against Panathinaikos.

And it was Ronaldo who had the fans on their feet in opening minutes of the game with a tricky run which threatened to undo the Arsenal defence. The roars grew in volume as he progressed but he was eventually dispossessed.

Ryan Giggs went inches wide with a curling free-kick in the 14th minute and Ruud van Nistelrooy headed onto the roof soon after from Giggs’ free-kick after Ashley Cole had fouled Ronaldo.

Keane’s name was taken in the 22nd minute after he’d clashed with Arsenal’s Cameroonian defender Lauren.

Cole moved forward from his left back berth to join the attack in the 25th minute and very nearly found a way past Tim Howard with a low short from just outside the area.

Ronaldo started to cause havoc on the right wing with a stream of tantalizing crosses which had keeper Jens Lehmann and the Arsenal defence under pressure. “There’s Only One Ronaldo,” bayed the Stretford End, and it’s unlikely that was a reference to David Beckham’s teammate at Real Madrid.

Arsenal began the second half in a really positive mood and had United retreating as they cpressed forward. Fredrik Ljungberg ended up on the ground following a mild collision with Gary Neville. The Arsenal’s roared the claims for a penalty, but it was a clear case of six of one and half a dozen!

An hour gone and still no goals in this tense contest, but this was, by no means, a disappointing match. The first half had been short-changed in the goalmouth action department, but otherwise it was totally in keeping with what could be described as typical encounter between these clubs. Both teams appeared to open up a little more after the break. There was more adventure and determination to put the emphasis on attack. The Old Trafford crowd recognized the change and reacted accordingly with a roar that nearly ripped the roof from its moorings.

Phil Neville, who put in a critically acclaimed midfield performance against the Gunners in the corresponding fixture last season, was enjoying himself again in an almost identical role. The crowd saluted him more than once after he’d broken down an Arsenal attack or robbed the ball in midfield.

Ronaldo opened up the Arsenal defence again in the 78th minute with a fabulous through ball which found van Nistelrooy. Lehmann’s goal was staright ahead, but unusually for the Dutchman his first touch let him down and Arsenal were able to clear the danger.

The volatile history of this fixture surfaced again in sensational fashion in the last ten minutes. Arsenal captain, who’d received a yellow card some minutes earlier for a foul on Quinton Fortune, was sent off in the 81st minute after clashing with van Nistelrooy.

Unrest broke out on the field with several players facing up to each other and it took a few moments for calm to be restored. Arsenal immediately replaced Dennis Bergkamp with the Brazilian Edu.

With the game entering its final stages everyone could be excused for thinking that was the end of the drama, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Two minutes into added time and with United pushing forward in numbers they were sensationally awarded a penalty after Martin Keown had felled Diego Forlan. ‘Handbags’ were drawn again as Arsenal reacted angrily to the decision. When the storm eventually subsided it was down to van Nistelrooy to provide the final decisive action of the afternoon.

United fans had already began their premature celebrations, but their cheers were instantly muffled when the Dutchman ran forward before crashing the ball against the face of Lehmann’s crossbar.

It was the Arsenal fans’ turn to celebrate, not only the penalty miss but the fact that the point gained had seen their side leapfrog over fellow Londoners Chelsea and back to the summit of the Premiership.

MANCHESTER UNITED: Howard; G Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre,
O’Shea (Forlan, 76); Ronaldo, P Neville, Keane, Fortune; Giggs, van Nistelrooy.  
Substitutes: Butt, Carroll, Djemba-Djemba, Fletcher.

ARSENAL: Lehmann; Lauren, Keown, Toure, Cole; Parlour, Gilberto, Vieira, Ljungberg; Bergkamp (Edu, 82), Henry.
Substitutes: Pires, Wilford, Cygan, Stack.

Attendance: 67,639

Report by Cliff Butler.MAN UTD.COM
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Patrick Vieira saw red and Ruud van Nistelrooy missed a last minute penalty as both Manchester United and Arsenal put themselves at the mercy of the football authourities after this gory goalless draw.

After 79 minutes of evenly contested and absorbing football, the contest exploded with Vieira lashing out at van Nistelrooy, earning his second yellow card in two minutes and his eighth dismissal as a Gunner.

The Frenchman had to walk for a blatant - if failed - attempt to kick the United striker after coming off worse in an aerial duel, but what followed was more deliberate and even more disturbing as both teams almost came to blows.

It was brought to the boil when, in injury time, Gary Neville tossed a hopeful ball into the box from the right where substitute Diego Forlan collapsed under Martin Keown's challenge.

Steve Bennett, whose performance in the Community Shield between the same two teams was equally controversial, will be scrutinised again, yet he was given little option but to penalise Keown.

After the obligatory delay caused by players contesting the decision, van Nistelrooy put the ball on the spot. And he added to the drama by crashing his effort against the bar and out.

Arsenal's understandable delight at seeing a point saved from what appeared to be a lost position spilled over into wild and uncontrolled emotion, as Lauren, Keown, Ray Parlour and Ashley Cole set about Van Nistelrooy.

The same happened after the final whistle, when both sets of players - and it has to be said lead by Arsenal -went face to face, pushing and shoving each other in an episode that brought back memories of the 21-man brawl between the two in 1991.

That time both teams were docked points, but what the Football Authorities will make of it this time around will be seen in the coming weeks. Hopefully both Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson will condemn their players' ugly behaviour in what is a match of global interest.

But the odds of that happening lengthened immediately after the match when Wenger pointed an accusatory finger at van Nistelrooy's actions, holding him responsible for all the fireworks.

Understandably angered by the Frenchman's inability to criticise his own players after an obvious loss of self-control, Ferguson put his faith in the FA to root out the protagonists.

Either way, it put a rotten cherry on top of a deeply unattractive cake.

It was almost forgotten in the mayhem that the point gained by Arsenal put them back top of the table, above Chelsea, who must be thrilled to see their two main rivals for the title occupying themselves with a woefully unnecessary squabble.

Though football disappeared into the shadow of fisticuffs, both managers actually had something to take from the contest, with Cristiano Ronaldo the man of the first half and Arsenal's defence the stars of the second.

The closest each team came to scoring from open play was in the opening 25 minutes. Van Nistelrooy put a header onto the roof of the net from an acute angle with the keeper out and Ashley Cole shot just past the post.

United and Arsenal enjoyed spells on the front and back foot, but it was the deeply regrettable end to a match top-heavy in controversy that will linger long in the memory. It will, however, also be headline news for some time to come.
MAN OF THE MATCH: ROY KEANE (MAN UTD)
Kept a cool head while everybody else lost theirs

Scott Barefoot reports.SKYSPORTS.COM
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Allahu Akbar Allah ya kwaci yara ahannun manya,but no problem Allah ya kaimu gidansu na manta sunan gidan dan karamin dakinnan mui musu irin ta inter.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Arsenal escapes Old Trafford with 0-0 draw

=== Arsenal escapes Old Trafford with 0-0 draw ===

Manchester, England (Sports Network) - One of the most mouth-watering matches of the Premiership season, Manchester United and Arsenal, resulted in a bizarre scoreless draw Sunday afternoon at Old Trafford.

With the draw, Arsenal moves into first place, one point ahead of United and Chelsea.

Neither team could get their stars enough chances to create. Manchester United had a golden opportunity just before the final whistle, but star striker Ruud van Nistelrooy could not convert a penalty kick.

Arsenal's Martin Keown took down United's Diego Forlan in the area, who was playing a cross from Gary Neville. Van Nistelrooy took the penalty in added time and fired it off the crossbar much to the shock of the Old Trafford faithful.

Just minutes prior to the crucial miss, Arsenal's attempt to break the tie was weakened by the sending off of midfielder Patrick Vieira. The Frenchman was sent off for a second bookable offense after reacting to a challenge by van Nistelrooy in the 80th minute.

Only a few other scoring opportunities highlighted this match. Gunners striker Dennis Bergkamp had a chance to put his club ahead in the 34th minute, but his volley missed just right of the net.

Then just before halftime, United's Cristiano Ronaldo blasted a left-footed shot a few yards outside the box that was saved by Gunners goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.

Arsenal's defense was strong despite being without Sol Campbell, whose father passed away earlier this week.

Van Nistelrooy nearly got United on the board in the 56th minute, but his shot, taken just outside the six, was caught by Lehmann.

The tie for Arsenal may help ease the pain of Wednesday's shocking Champions League loss to Italy's Inter Milan, 3-0.

SOCCER.COM/NEWS
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Arsene Wenger blamed Ruud van Nistelrooy for the mass confrontation that almost brought Manchester United and Arsenal to blows after their explosive goalless draw at Old Trafford
It was an aerial challenge involving van Nistelrooy and Patrick Vieira that preceded the Frencman's dismissal in the 81st minute - his eighth as an Arsenal player and the 52nd in Arsene Wenger's time at Highbury.

Vieira, prone on the ground, petulantly kicked out at the Dutchman, who became the main target for Arsenal's aggression in the disgraceful skirmishes that followed the final whistle.

And when Wenger was asked if he felt van Nistelrooy had cheated in the incident, he said: "Yes. I think van Nistelrooy does not help himself frankly.

He added: "He is a great player but his attitude... he is always looking for... looking to dive. He looks a nice boy but on the pitch it is not always fair behaviour.

"If Patrick had to go off van Nistelrooy should have gone off. He (Vieira) is 100% sure van Nistelrooy caught him (as the United striker went up for a high ball)."

Wenger added: "Patrick should not have reacted but you punish more the consequence than the source of the problem."

On the penalty incident where Diego Forlan tumbled under a challenge from Martin Keown, Wenger said: "Keown said he went for the ball. They both went for it and I think it was harsh decision."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.