News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Started by kariballa, December 01, 2002, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

This has been a tremendous season for United fans like me. It was a difficult season but it is the season like this that makes victory worth it. Thank you to everyone at Man United who has given hope and enjoy to me. I trust that Man United will be doing even better next season. I am proud to be a Man United fan."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Thank you for making life seem tolerable. With poor economy, war in Iraq and ongoing terrorist threats, Manchester United have been a bright spot. Congratulations on a superb management and execution job. One regret!!!! it's over for awhile. Now we begin the speculation of forming next years championship squad. Go Red Devils
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United have been crowned the 2002/03 Premiership Champions after Arsenal failed to beat Leeds United at Highbury on Sunday afternoon.

United started the day eight points clear of the Gunners after their 4-1 win over Charlton at Old Trafford, meaning Arsene Wenger's men had to beat Leeds - but they lost 3-2 to the Yorkshiremen in a thriller at Highbury.

That leaves Arsenal eight points behind us with them only having two games left to play. The title, having looked a distant prospect a couple of months ago, is back at Old Trafford!

It's the fifteenth League title in United history, and the eighth in the last eleven seasons. Watch out Liverpool - we're catching you up!

Congratulations to all the players, management and backroom staff who had a hand in the Championship triumph. The lads will be presented with the trophy after the match against Everton at Goodison Park next Sunday.

It's party time!
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has already set his sights on next season's Champions League following his side's eighth Premiership win in the last 11 seasons.

United were awarded the title as a result of Arsenal's failure to beat Leeds United at Highbury on Sunday afternoon but while they will want to retain their domestic crown in 2003/04, Ferguson emphasised the importance of the European title in his plans.

The Old Trafford chief, who did not watch the Arsenal match, told Sky Sports: "Now we have to get the big one again. Winning it twice is not enough.

"We are not far away, believe me. Everyone was excited by the Real Madrid adventure. We want it again. It has become as important as anything you can think of in football."

The 4-1 win at home to Charlton on Saturday meant United could sit back and watch Arsenal sweat in their two games in hand as the Gunners had to win against both Leeds and Southampton to have a chance at retaining their crown.

Arsene Wenger's side failed at the first hurdle, though, and Ferguson summed up his feelings at clinching the title, saying: "It is fantastic, the greatest achievement by the team.

"We were up against a terrific side but we showed perseverance, determination and a great ability never to give up. That's what got us the title.

Van: 'It nearly killed me'

"We had to overcome injuries early in the season but we had to bite the bullet and take the poison. I was surprised people had their doubts - I knew we would have all our main players back for the main part of the season.

"I never doubt Manchester United. I know their [the players'] capabilities. When you are with a group for a long time you know them. I know they take a challenge.

"After losing to Manchester City I asked them if they were hungry enough. These are young men who are very rich. You must ask that question."

Many would argue that Arsenal threw away the title after having a 10-point lead in November, but Ferguson was quick to put the title down to his side's recent form claiming: "We went on a fantastic run. You can't deny teams in that spell.

"Four years ago we stuttered and Arsenal won the title. You can never be sure in this league."

United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, whose hat-trick against Charlton at Old Trafford took his season's tally to 43, said: "It's unbelievable that we've won it.

"We've worked so hard and it's a great feeling, especially after the bad position we were in. They way we won it is unbelievable.

"I watched the game this afternoon but it was really hard - so nerve-wracking and exciting. When Viduka scored I jumped up and down.

"The five minutes of extra-time nearly killed me. I'm so overwhelmed."

Last Updated: 04 May 2003
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

Ibro2g

Manchester United Beyond reasonable doubts...We are great! We were, we are, and we continue to achieve greatness. Manchester United ; May God help us to continue...
? ? Now, I know a number of people would be waiting for my post on this. Trully I must celebrate for we have won this title, in such an ispiring way... it was difficult but worth it, some how, the joy is more this way. But I'm also here to shake the hands of the people who made us champions.... who faught the battle to the end, who made us proove ourselves, whom where almost heroes... I'm here to put a hand on the arsenal fans shoulder. Yes
Arsenal, You have indeed done something worth praising, you have given us a challenge, the challenge!. Even though we are better...and distinquished your goals, I would not dishonour you. Remember...football is just a game, and Manchester United is our team...here at the theatre of dreams. I am exreemly delighted, knowing I celebrate your failure, but not your loss, in a way I morn with you, knowing you deserve something. But you all know and I also know, that beyond reasonable doubts...Manchester United deserves this title more than any one else. I dont want to make this too long, so I must stop here. I write this especially for Venom...I believe in som`n...and the others.
And as for us....
MANCHESTER UNITED fans CONGRATULATIONS I'm really so happy for us all.
Saraki, a specially thanks to u.

I'm outta here
Safety and Peace

lionger

Congratulations Manchester United, you won the title against all odds; after other critics had long written your obituary. All ManU players should donate half of their salary to Van the Man for consistently giving a 110% whe every one else went to sleep. Sorry Arsenal, but the title was yours to lose and you lost it. All I need to say, really.

kariballa

Ruud van Nistelrooy today revealed how he will help Cristiano Ronaldo set the Premiership alight - by standing clear and letting the Manchester United teenager weave his magic.

The Portuguese 18-year-old, snapped up from Sporting Lisbon for ?12million as David Beckham's replacement, produced a scintillating performance to inspire yesterday's 2-0 win at 10-man Charlton. Although van Nistelrooy admitted that United as a team were far from their best, he acclaimed the contribution of Ronaldo.

The midfielder's trickery left Charlton stumped time after time at The Valley, although the theatrical nature of several of his tumbles infuriated the home fans.

Van Nistelrooy, who bagged both goals after his run of scoring in 12 successive games had came to a halt in the defeat at Southampton, said: ``You don't need to help Cristiano - you just stay out of his way and let him get on with it.

``He was brilliant. He's so quick and gets the ball away from the feet of defenders and they don't know he's gone.

``All the crowd were against him but the free-kick decisions were right.''

After a poor first hour in south-east London, van Nistelrooy took advantage of Jason Euell playing him onside to slam a loose ball into the roof of the net.

And Euell's day went from bad to worse four minutes later when he was shown a second yellow card followed by a red after a mistimed lunge left Gary Neville grounded.

Van Nistelrooy's second came 10 minutes from time when Ryan Giggs' free-kick dribbled through to him at the far post. But the Dutchman made no mistake from two yards.

Van Nistelrooy believes returning to winning ways - despite the scrappy nature of the performance - was essential for United ahead of the start of their Champions' League campaign against Panathinaikos on Tuesday.

``Apart from Ronaldo, none of us played that brilliantly,'' van Nistelrooy added on MUTV.

``But we fought and didn't give anything away in defence or midfield. And we know that, if we keep the clean sheet, it's up to the strikers to score.

``Once we did that the game was there for us - which was important after the disappointing way we lost at Southampton.

``Yesterday, we worked together, to make sure they wouldn't score and hoped we would.''
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United captain Roy Keane is set to miss their Champions League opener against Panathinaikos at Old Trafford.

The Irishman limped out of Saturday's win at Charlton with an ankle injury and Sir Alex Ferguson, looking ahead to Sunday's match with Arsenal, may opt to give Keane more time to recover.

Paul Scholes (hernia) and Kleberson (dislocated shoulder) are also sidelined, so teenager midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to make his European debut for United. :o :o :o
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson has lashed out at claims that Cristiano Ronaldo is a diver after Charlton defender Chris Perry criticised the Portuguese winger in the aftermath of United's 2-0 win at The Valley on Saturday.

With Southampton's Kevin Phillips and Arsenal's Robert Pires also coming under the spotlight after appearing to collapse under little contact during Barclaycard Premiership matches at the weekend, the issue of players diving has become a hot topic.

But, while Ferguson admitted diving has become a problem in the domestic game, he stood up for his ?12.2million summer recruit from Sporting Lisbon. And, to emphasise his point, the Scot drew on Greek mythology. He said: "I have watched the video again and Cristiano would have needed the strength of Atlas not to go down."

He continued: "We have seen evidence over the weekend that diving is a problem in our game and I believe the introduction of foreign players has brought that part, but I don't think Ronaldo dived. It is easy to say he went to ground too easily, he would have been a fool to try withstand those type of tackles."

Ferguson is likely to offer Ronaldo a Champions League debut on Tuesday when United open their campaign against Panathinaikos at Old Trafford.

With half an eye on Sunday's Premiership encounter with Arsenal, ankle injury victim Roy Keane will not be risked on the bench providing Mikael Silvestre recovers from a knee problem, while long-term absentees Paul Scholes, Kleberson and Wes Brown are again missing.

It means either Phil Neville or Eric Djemba-Djemba will partner Nicky Butt in central midfield, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer likely to return in attack to support Ruud van Nistelrooy.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

Anonymous

Saraki just a little note if you will. Next time do put your sources I mean from what site you get your information because not doing so is plagiarism and That's offensive.

Meanwhile Go Chealsea! Go Chealsea!! Go!!!    ;)

kariballa

Manchester United assumed control of Champions League Group E after romping past a palid Panathinaikos at Old Trafford.

Neither goal machine Ruud van Nistelrooy or Ryan Giggs got in on the act as the Old Trafford extras took centre-stage.

Mikael Silvestre, Quinton Fortune, Nicky Butt and Eric Djemba-Djemba joined Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the score-sheet.

The scoreline suggest a ruthless rout, but United were never forced to get out of second gear by their tame Greek visitors.

And after Rangers' 2-1 win with Stuttgart, a happy Sir Alex Ferguson can survey an early advantage at the top of the group table.

With Roy Keane and Paul Scholes out injured and Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench, United took the field with a midfield brimming with power rather than prowess.

But by half-time the match was over as a contest, and three of the four 'battlers' who started in the engine room were on the scoresheet.

It was a defender who kicked off the scoring in the 13th minute, with Silvestre poking home follow a corner that caused a melee in the box.

Within 60 seconds it was two - and in spectacular style.  Fortune belted an unstoppable effort into the roof of the net from just inside the box.

On 32 minutes Solskjaer made it three with a left foot shot that owed everything to a horrendous howler from keeper Nikopolidis.

And sevcen minutes later Butt got in on the act with a fine header from Ryan Giggs' cross, his first United goal in 18 months.

Eric Djemba-Djemba came off the bench to finish things off with his first goal as a United player, but there will be sterner tests to come.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

United, Chelsea, Arsenal & Celtic to reach knock-out stages - but only United can win Champions League, says El Tel

The Champions League gets under way in earnest tonight and Terry Venables reckons only one of our clubs has a chance of lifting the trophy...Manchester United.

While Chelsea have splashed out the millions and Arsenal sit on top of the Premiership, it is Fergie's boys who Venables thinks will pose the greatest threat to the Italian clubs who contested the final last year. And Real Madrid, of course.

Despite the loss of midfield superstars like David Beckham and Juan Sebastian Veron, the former England boss believes they are better equipped than ever to challenge for Europe's premier prize and bring the Champions League back to England for the first time in five years.

He said: "United have the squad and the experience to pull it off. In fact, I'd say they are even stronger than last year despite losing David Beckham. They will have learned from their quarter final defeat against Real Madrid when they played into Madrid's hands in the Bernabeu, showing them too much respect, and I am sure Alex won't make the same mistake again.
"They may have lost two players, but they have brought in five and strength in depth is now the key, plus their group isn't the most daunting to begin with.

"The only problem might be that back-to-back fixtures against Rangers are then followed by a trip to Panathanaikos so they will need to watch the card count in the 'Battle Of Britain' games. However, while United should qualify with ease I don't think Rangers will be joining them, but I am tipping their rivals from across the city, Celtic to use last year's European experience and qualify for the knock-out stages."
El Tel isn't so confident about the prospects of England's other two representatives, Arsenal and Chelsea. The Gunners, who perennially under-achieve in the Champions League, have been handed a tough group with the much-improved Inter Milan as favourites and the two other games aren't easy either.

Venables explains: "Arsenal should get through in second place although trips to Dynamo Kiev and Lokomotiv Moscow are never easy fixtures. Fortunately, both will be completed before November when the cold really sets in and the Gunners shouldn't have too many problems with either at home.
"However, beyond the first phase my biggest worry is strength outside the first team, particularly in defence. Even though I have tipped Chelsea to win the Premiership, I think they will have a tough job in qualifying from their Champions League group.

"If they do and the players have gelled by the time the knock-out stages begin in February then we will see what happens.
"Lazio have a good squad, Besiktas won a strong Turkish league and Sparta Prague will be on a high following the Czech national team's 3-1 win against Holland. The biggest concern for Chelsea is that Claudio Ranieri clearly doesn't know his best team as yet and there are bound to be teething problems with so many new players, but I am tipping them to make it through to the next stage anyway."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)MANCHESTER UNITED FOOT BALL CLUB. :)
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

First and foremost, when the Premier League was founded, this was the type of game they had in mind - two tremendous teams, with no hint of mis-match for the neutral, full of fireworks, great football and always a surprise in store.

It is already a much bigger game for Arsenal. I was shocked at how easy Inter cut through them on Wednesday and Arsene Wenger will need to sort that out for a start.

None of the back four looked comfortable and they weren't helped by a very poor midfield performance - a repeat of anything like that and they will be in trouble again.
I'll say now, I do think United will shade it on Sunday. Arsenal are usually at their most potent on the back of a bad European result, but I just think that this time the hangover may be too much to cope with.  
They need to improve throughout the side. There was nothing that their fans could pin any hope on against Inter and they need the likes of Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires and Thierry Henry to come good when it matters... and boy does it matter on Sunday!
Some people are saying a trip to Old Trafford is the perfect game for them to bounce back in, but sometimes when you analyse football, you have no idea about what is going on in a dressing room.

I don't know how badly Arsenal will be affected and I don't know how Wenger will be motivating his troops right now.

I know that when you look at their squad and the players they have got, you couldn't possibly imagine them getting mullered as they did against Inter. But they did, and they will be desperate to silence their critics.

There was so much wrong with the performance against Inter, that it may well take more than a few days to put things right, or it could just be a complete one off. We will know come 4pm on Sunday.
I would be amazed if Martin Keown does not play at Old Trafford. Sol Campbell has had his problems and may not play on Sunday, while Kolo Toure, for me, has looked all over the place.

He may have pace and Wenger may be determined to make a central defender out of him, but right now he looks like a midfielder playing out of position and United will be ready to expose any more uncertainty at the back.

Even if Campbell does play, I would expect to see Keown in there to take care of Ruud van Nistelrooy, which will of course, renew their rivalry.

In complete contrast Manchester United could not have had a better build-up. If they had beaten Panathinaikos 2-1, then there would would have been one or two rumblings, but to thrash them 5-0 - and it could have been a lot more - just goes to show what a good side they are.

Time and again, they get the big results, when it really matters.

I've always said they are a leviathon and a law unto themselves. Even without the likes Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes injured they keep picking up the wins.
It makes me laugh when people say they lack creativity now that David Beckham and Juan Sebastian Veron have gone - that is complete and utter tosh! They may well end up missing those two, but how can you say a side lacks creativity when they win a European Cup game 5-0, with five different scorers?

Basically Manchester United in great shape again. Tim Howard has settled in very well and young Ronaldo looks a hell of a talent - and they're supposed to be the new lads, who were bought with the future very much in mind.

Both sides' contrasting form only adds to what is now the biggest game in the domestic calendar - and one which never disappoints.

I disagree when people say the games are anti-climactic. Even the games that don't have goals are very tight and brilliant chess matches - especially for the neutral.

This time around, we've got Keown v Van Nistelrooy, the Community Shield left-overs and the midweek matches, which all add to the cocktail that will make it an irresistible match to watch.

PREDICTION: I'm going for a United win. Of course it will be tight, but I just think this is one European hangover that may linger longer than the others as far as Arsenal are concerned
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.