News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Started by kariballa, December 01, 2002, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Diego Forlan is looking forward to the challenge Rangers will pose in tomorrow night's Champions League clash at Old Trafford.

Forlan is currently playing some of the best football of his United career and is relishing the prospect of lining up against Alex McLeish's side, as United go in search of what could be a crucial victory.

And having scored in his last three games, the 24-year old striker is hoping to get himself amongst the goals again tomorrow night.

"I'm happy to be playing and scoring goals," explained Forlan in the pre-match press conference. "I hope I can continue in that way and make sure that I when I get a chance I take it.

"It's always nice to play in the big games and every player always wants to be involved. But when it's the European Cup it means even more."

Victory against Rangers would send United top of Group E, providing that is Stuttgart are unable to get a win in Panathinaikos.

Rangers have only won once on English soil in a UEFA club compeitition - 2-1 at Leeds during the 1992/93 season - and they will make their Champions League trip to Old Trafford for the first time in their history.

Although United have never beaten Scottish opposition on their home patch, Forlan is hoping the Reds can build on last month's impressive victory at Ibrox.

He said: "I expect the same from Rangers tomorrow night as they gave in the first match. It's going to be a hard game but we hope we can win in the same way we did last time."

Report by Gemma Thompson
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Rio Ferdinand has revealed he has no intention to leave Manchester United despite all the furore over his future recently.
The 25-year-old has been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons over the last month after missing a random drugs test.

Ferdinand is awaiting his fate after being charged with misconduct for his failure to attend a routine drugs test.

Reports have even linked moneybags Chelsea with a move for the classy defender, but Ferdinand insists he has no plans to quit Old Trafford.

"I hear I was linked with a move to Chelsea recently but I've no intention of leaving either. United is the only place to be," Ferdinand told The Sun.

Ferdinand revealed he has not felt any extra pressure despite all the publicity surrounding his future and a possible two-year ban.

"I know how important it is that I concentrate on my football despite everything that's been going on," added Ferdinand.

"This is a different time to what I've been used to in my career but you just have to deal with it.

"If I had let things get to me and hadn't been doing the business on the pitch I'm sure the manager would have dropped me.

"I wouldn't have expected anything else. When you are at a club like United there is no room for passengers.

"I haven't sensed any extra pressure while I've been playing. In fact, it is where I have felt most comfortable.

"I have a job to do for my club. I'm getting on with it and focusing 100 per cent. I've been quite pleased with my form.

"While we have not been playing particularly well as a team, we have for the most part been getting the results."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

zezezee

The flying French forward is the Arsenal.com Player of the Month for October and will receive his trophy from lucky competition winner, Andy Moore from Hampshire, before the game with Tottenham.

Last season, Henry produced one of the greatest goals ever seen in a North London derby; running more than half the length of the pitch before planting his shot past Kasey Keller. His manager Ars?ne Wenger believes it was one of Henry's very best.

"It has come to be seen as one of his greatest goals," said the manager on Friday. "It is an individual goal of exceptional quality.

"He took the ball from of the edge of our box and then went and scored on the other side of the pitch. That takes a special talent. In terms of individual goals it is one of the greatest I have seen."

Wenger backed the view of Arsenal.com visitors, as he did over the awards to Kolo Toure in August and September.

"Thierry is in good form," said the manager. "Even on Wednesday night against Kyiv when he did not score he created three or four clear-cut chances so confidence-wise he is in great shape.

"Sometimes I feel I should rest him but he is still young and he has a natural potential to repeat the sprints he makes again and again so it is very difficult to do it."
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

kariballa

Fergie: Ronaldo's my wing wonder
Sir Alex Ferguson has responded to his own players' claims that Manchester United miss David Beckham by insisting that Cristiano Ronaldo is the perfect replacement. While the United boss refuses to discuss Beckham, he is happy to talk up 18-year-old Ronaldo as heir apparent to the England skipper's Old Trafford throne. "Ronaldo can cross the ball fantastically well and he gets so much pace on his free kicks," said Fergie. "And his trickery is marvellous to watch. He gives us so much extra. There's a lot of work on with the boy and he's still only 18. But players of that age never have consistency, they have to develop it."
David McDonnell, Daily Mirror
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Fergie is a great deal happier
Sir Alex Ferguson will this week sign a new contract to remain in charge of Manchester United - and the revelation that his Old Trafford reign is to stretch to 20 years and beyond could not have been timed better. While Premiership titles and European trophies remain the tangible rewards for the most successful manager in United's history, the motivating force behind everything Ferguson has achieved in England has been his determination to put Liverpool in their place - and to keep them there. This is the man who was once asked what his biggest achievement had been at United. Was it ending the club's 26-year wait for the championship? Maybe the first Premiership and FA Cup Double of 1994? Surely it was the Treble topped off by that epic Champions League Final victory in Barcelona in 1999? No chance. "My biggest challenge was knocking Liverpool off their f***ing perch," was Ferguson's reply.
Simon Mullock, Sunday Mirror
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

OPTA'S GUIDE TO THREE-HORSE RACE
Wednesday 12th November 2003

Following defeat in Sunday's game with Manchester United, Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier was forced to concede that the 2003-04 Premiership title has already shaped up into a three-horse race.
Just 12 games into the campaign and Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United have all put some distance between themselves and the rest of The Premiership, in what has been a record-breaking start to the season. "We know it will be difficult now," said Houllier. "We know it is looking like a three-horse race, but you never know."

If Liverpool are to force themselves back into the reckoning then they will be relying on the top three sides to slip up following their blistering start to the campaign.

Never before have the top three teams all won 28 points or more after only 12 games and with just three defeats between them, it looks as though the pace they are setting will be too much for the rest of the league.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United's Phil Neville is being typically modest about his rise to first team regular at Old Trafford this season.
The versatile England international has jumped ahead of World Cup star Nicky Butt in the pecking order at the club with some sterling work as a holding midfielder.

Neville, also comfortable in either full back slot, has helped Roy Keane rediscover a zest for getting forward by screening the back four, and managed to grab the vital winner himself in the Ibrox encounter with Rangers in the UEFA Champions League.

Sir Alex Ferguson recently admitted that the midfield area gives him the most selection headaches, but Neville is just delighted to keep learning from his colleagues.

"It's a great challenge to play in midfield," he told Sky Sports News.

"There's some great midfielders at Manchester United and it's fantastic to be playing alongside them, especially when I've been learning off Nicky Butt and Roy Keane.

"You can't help but fail to learn from them. They are great players who have played in the position for 10-15 years.

"They're the best in the business and all I can do is learn from them
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.