News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

REAL TRADITIONAL NAMES (sunanka da sunanki)?

Started by ummita, May 30, 2003, 06:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiekh

Bebeji

FEMALE:
Lantana
Landuwe
Laminde
Alsabatu
Kunduba
Karime
Hanne
Binta or Bintu or Bintete or Bintalo
Yarinye

MALE:
Dan maliki
Maidaura
Maduge
Dan kundalo
Iro
Ilu
Dan dashiyo

Anonymous

*~MuDa~*

Some tyms my moza calls me Mudi,...Only she calls me dat!
...He begot not, nor is He begotten!
www.articlesdir.co.cc

mlbash

t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Baruti M. Kamau

I don't know much but I can add a little.  My kobo biyu follows:

Hausa:
1. Bididi
2. Makau
3. Gandoki
4. Ado
5. Kazaure

Fulfulde:
1. Modibbo

jaybee

Hi, Ummita
I just wanna let u know that Asibi is not a Hausa traditional name,it is a name that Alago tribe called a girl who was born on Saturday. But the name was originated from a Hausa name Asabe. U can learn more about this if u check one B.A. Dissertation title "Dangantakar Al'adun Hausawa Da Na Kabilar Alago Da Ke Cikin Karamar Hukumar Doma Ta Jahar Nassarawa" Department of Nigerian Languages Bayero University, Kano.
Thank U.

IBB

Male:
Habu
Malle
Garba
Dan-maraya
Dan-liti
Dan-tala
Balarabe
Dan-lami
Dan-juma
Dan-asabe
Dan-ladi
Babawo
Babangida
Babayo
magaji
Tanko
Garuje
Mai-kano
Daiyabu
Dahiru
Sambajo
Baffa
Bako
Sabo
Bello
Bature
Danbaba
Nadada
Kawu
Danyaro
Murtala
Mani
Rabe
Mamman

Female:
Indo
Hansai
Ando
Liti
Talatu
Balaraba
Lami
Jummai
Asabe
Ladidi
Dada
IHS

Baruti M. Kamau

I question the word "bature" being used as a traditional Hausa name.  Any comments?

IBB

Bature means white man. So bature being a Hausa word makes the name a Hausa name. But if you can help define 'traditional' from your pespective with regard to name, then we can argue further or see where you are coming from
IHS

bakangizo

Is it safe to assume that almost all hausa traditonal names are associated with the events, circumstances, locations etc surrounding the birth of the child?

AspiringKande

Quote from: bakangizo on May 26, 2011, 08:22:15 AM
Is it safe to assume that almost all Hausa traditional names are associated with the events, circumstances, locations etc surrounding the birth of the child?

A lot of them are, but not all. It's the same as in other cultures. In Hausa we have names like Wada (m) and Yalwa (f) which mean 'abundance' and are given to ensure wealth, most English names such as Jane, Mark etc had meanings too, but the meanings have been lost over centuries as the language evolved. The same way some Hausa names such as Yaquled, Turunku, Bakwa, Daurama etc are just plain names to us because their meanings have been lost because that version of Hausa is no longer spoken.

bakangizo

Quote from: AspiringKande on August 14, 2016, 01:54:02 AM
Is it safe to assume that almost all Hausa traditional names are associated with the events, circumstances, locations etc surrounding the birth of the child?

A lot of them are, but not all. It's the same as in other cultures. In Hausa we have names like Wada (m) and Yalwa (f) which mean 'abundance' and are given to ensure wealth, most English names such as Jane, Mark etc had meanings too, but the meanings have been lost over centuries as the language evolved. The same way some Hausa names such as Yaquled, Turunku, Bakwa, Daurama etc are just plain names to us because their meanings have been lost because that version of Hausa is no longer spoken.

Lol! And here ws I thinking the name "Wada" has its origin from a dwarf  ;D. Now, I have a colleague named Wadata. Is that a shortened form of 'Wada'? Because Wadata refers to affluence or abundance in a much better way than simply Wada.

AspiringKande

Quote from: bakangizo on August 15, 2016, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: AspiringKande on August 14, 2016, 01:54:02 AM

Lol! And here ws I thinking the name "Wada" has its origin from a dwarf  ;D. Now, I have a colleague named Wadata. Is that a shortened form of 'Wada'? Because Wadata refers to affluence or abundance in a much better way than simply Wada.

Exactly, Wada, came from 'Wadata'. the name is given to ensure wealth/affluence.