News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Hausa Rap and Hip Hop Music

Started by Abdalla, October 16, 2006, 01:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

Quote from: "Bakan~Gizo"
Quote from: "admin". Please test the links and let me know as I did not have time to test each and every link.
Well, am having difficulties opening/playing the files. Kept getting error messages. Was only able to play/download 24% of two tracks. Thanks anyway.

Just use good old fashioned Real Player to listen and download. Then afterwards convert to mp3 or mpeg  or what ever it is called in the jargon of cybernerds.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

amira

i was just listening to billy tibani, this song is real cool n funny with the mixture of english nd hausa but its all good. all of the artists listed are all new to me cos i neva heard of em b4.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

Muhsin

Assalamu alaikum,
Oh- lots have happened while I was sick. I felt sick for about for days ago that's why I kept mute for quiet long. I'm alhamdulillah back on my feet. By the way, how are you all?

Concerning this Hausa music. At first instance I completely almost hate to listen to any. An insight came to me that; how could you just hate what you even don't know how exactly is, so, I decided to spend minutes and listen. Eventually, from there then I found out that they are really great, also doing wonderful perfomance. Wishing people like our great Professor to continue supporting them.
BARKA DA SALLAH
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Quote from: "HUSNAA"Sa'adu bori and the likes of him have got their acts together of course, except that I cant stand 'Aliyaa' or any of the other songs by this female artist from...where? She's got a good voice, but she's always out of sync with the tempo of her music.

The artist you are referring to is Uomou Sangare from Mali. She has some really good albums which are hits in France.You'll appreciate her music more if you get to read an interpretation of the songs which usually comes in the original c.d's.

Thank you Prof. and Admin for the beautiful songs.
One hitch of the 'modern' hausa songs has been how to get the qualitative audio c.d's.Most of the songs come in recorded tapes which are mostly of poor quality.Sometime back i discussed with Yakubu Isa,(a producer and facilitator of some artists at freedom radio) the idea of using kanoonline to promote these modern artists such that their music can at least be introduced to the world and that their music samples could be downloaded online.He pointed out to me that most of the artists were afraid of piracy and that some of them have been lured into such agreements and it ended up with the internet people getting the money while they get nothing.I didnt pursue the issue afterwards.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

amira

wa'alaikumus salam Muhsin, well its all good to hear your back on your feet, Barka da sallah to you too!!!!!! :wink:
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

precious

I was so busy laughing at tibani ,sai da na ji kauri na tuna ina girkin sahur.
More grease to their gwiwowin hannu.
I hope they also take all those traditional hausa songs da ake yi da da su shantu da kwarya etc, su  rera su yadda yaran yanzu za su san traditional wakokin da mu muka ji muna yara.

Abdalla

Jama'a, Sallama, kuma barkanmu da Sallah. Allah Ya sa muna cikin 'yantattun watan Ramadan da ya gabata.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your various comments. It really warms the heart to see how the talents of these young modern Hausa musicians are being appreciated. I am a traditionalist to the core -- prefering traditional instruments over modern ones -- but avante-garde enough to realize that a chamber orchestra can co-exist with a lute; so a synthesizer can co-exist with a goge, sarewa etc. I have always liked the experimental approach in music. When I used to play the guitar in the early 1970s (horribly I must quickly add), I often forced my sister to beat empty cans of kerose to accompany me. Naturally enough, my folks did not find it amusing. And thus ends another Karlheinz Stockhausen, Luciano Berio, or Steve Reich in the middle of darkest Africa.

So the idea of combining RAP with Hausa lyrics and traditional mindset is just wonderful to me -- as noted by the positive comments on BILLY TIBANI by Shaba (real name Muhammad Kabir, and living in Gyadi-gyadi Kano) who programmed the music, and Billy-O (still hiding his moniker) who accompanied him on the vocals. What was particularly interesting about their approach is the Enghausa urban lexicon they use -- easily identifiable as a lexical marker by young urbanized Hausa. Hah, you should wait to hear RAINY SEASON which will be posted soon, insha Allah.

I noted the comments made about World Music circuit and I am encouraged that there are some who think these young boys can compete at that level. We will think about it. At the moment they are just young kids hanging around and doing concerts and shows when invited -- often furtively because of the Sharia prohibitions against mixed gender gathering during concerts (and we all know it would impossible to stop sisters from accompanying little brothers to concerts, don't we?), although I noticed of late things seem to have cooled a little. Another probem these rappers faced is lack of sponsorship -- someone to say "o.k. guys, how much do you need to produce a CD and video, and I will provide it for you and we can work out a percentage of the profits?" They don't need to be fat, cigar-chomping (greed helps, though!), but they need to be sincere and need to be THERE. At the moment, they are not.

Indeed to be quite frank, I am not sure these musicians (and the concert which I am the brainchild) would have been on this forum if my focus has not changed from video film to music (as part of ethnographic studies on Hausa popular culture). At the moment I am the only researcher working on the World/Rap of the Hausa in Nigeria. BUT research is not enough to sustain the trade. We need to do something -- so those of you out there who know of indie labels that can take on something like this, let us know and we can get in touch and take it to next level.

One further nice thing about the recent discussion is the true nature of Tibani. I noted of course one correspondent doesn't know it! Not surprsing! It is one of the fast-disappearing delicacies of traditional Hausa cuisine. I was also impressed that Shaba has brought it to contemporary consciousness in a rap form -- this is what GLOCALIZATION is all about -- using the global to empower the local.  And while on that I did remember I typeset a book on Kano Traditional Cuisines over ten years ago and still have the file somewhere in my archives as PDF. Anyone interested?

Lakal Kaney are from Niamey -- and naturally the Hausa in Niamey share similar affinities in lexicon to Hausa in Sokoto basin. So yes, they sound pleasantly Sakkwato "mu ta shi mu nemi aiki, aiki za HI zaman banza". In the next round of musical postings, I hope to upload their GHETTO BOY and juxtapose it with Kano Ryders BAN CIN KWANTAN TSIRE which was sampled and based on the Lakal Kaney tune.

Music from Niger Republic generally tend to be quite different from northern Nigeria because of two reasons. First, musicians in Niger are considered ARTISTES and valued; second, they approach music with total professionalization. They follow the rites of understanding music THEORY before composition -- perhaps due to the liberal curriculum they face right from school through Music Education classes, which are noticeably absent in northern Nigerian curriculum, where a "highbrow" association with music is frowned on! I remembered the look of horror from my friends when I purchased a Kalangu in Oyo! Sigh.

So once more thanks to one and all for your wonderful comments -- keep them coming. Sorry for those who could not download, but it is clearly a local problem to the downloader -- as suggested by a successful downloader; but Salisu the Whiz is going to go over the links again to ensure they are smooth.

More samples to come BEFORE the concert, and a full concert report -- although I would prefer that to be given by an Onliner who attends!

Eid Mubarak!

Abdalla

admin

Bakan~Gizo

QuoteWell, am having difficulties opening/playing the files. Kept getting error messages. Was only able to play/download 24% of two tracks.
Sorry you are having difficulties? Please give me the specific error messages you were getting and with the audio file format you were having the difficulties with.
Kaini Kano ko a buhun barkono!!!

admin

gogannaka
Thanks for you response and contribution to this topic?
QuoteSometime back i discussed with Yakubu Isa,(a producer and facilitator of some artists at freedom radio) the idea of using kanoonline to promote these modern artists such that their music can at least be introduced to the world and that their music samples could be downloaded online. He pointed out to me that most of the artists were afraid of piracy and that some of them have been lured into such agreements and it ended up with the internet people getting the money while they get nothing.
This really exemplifies the mediocre and shallow thinking of these people. What does kanoonline get by posting audio samplers?? nobody pays anything to us. In normal situation, they should be the ones to pay us for showcasing them. Also, these people are not even known that much. By posting some of their works on the Internet that creates exposure and thereby could find a way to sell their CDs in the future. Also artist like that do not just make money on the sale of CD?s alone, but on other engagements such as concerts and the like.

I think they should wake up and smell the coffee? years ago I listened to an interview with Bill Gates and when the Interviewer asked that a lot of Microsoft software were being pirated in China. Gates said that they are happy that it is Microsoft products being pirated not the competition and that they will find ways to make money later when everyone must have gotten used to their software?

HUSNAA

Quote from: "admin"
? years ago I listened to an interview with Bill Gates and when the Interviewer asked that a lot of Microsoft software were being pirated in China. Gates said that they are happy that it is Microsoft products being pirated not the competition and that they will find ways to make money later when everyone must have gotten used to their software?

That's the spirit!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
There was also this legend about how Bill Gates was inaugurating Microsoft 2000 in china at the time of its genesis, and somewhere some blocks away the same stuff was being sold at a knock down price of between 10 to 20 Yuan!!!, while upstairs,where he was inaugurating it, it was a couple of thousand Yuan !!!!   :D  :D
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Muhsin

Quote from: "amira"wa'alaikumus salam Muhsin, well its all good to hear your back on your feet, Barka da sallah to you too!!!!!! :wink:

Thanks Amira.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

Quote from: "admin"Bakan~Gizo

QuoteWell, am having difficulties opening/playing the files. Kept getting error messages. Was only able to play/download 24% of two tracks.
Sorry you are having difficulties? Please give me the specific error messages you were getting and with the audio file format you were having the difficulties with.

"Windows cannot the file. An error was encountered The format was not supported". Something like that. MP3 and Windows Media Player. Could it be that my office had installed a pop-up/file download blocker?  :roll:

admin

Quote"Windows cannot the file. An error was encountered The format was not supported". Something like that. MP3 and Windows Media Player. Could it be that my office had installed a pop-up/file download blocker?  
Have you encountered this error with all the songs of just some specific songs? If just some songs, which ones? And which format(s)?

It might be that the computer you are using does not have the right audio players and also as you thought, you might have your popup blocker enable.

I will also like you to try to download these files from another computer to see if you are getting the same error.

bakangizo

I suspect a download blocker. All PCs in the office recently went thru  system upgrade. In any case the links you posted no longer work ( at least for me). I even tried accessing the audio section of dandali.com direct, but no show. Thanks anyway.

admin

Bakan~Gizo
QuoteI suspect a download blocker. All PCs in the office recently went thru system upgrade. In any case the links you posted no longer work ( at least for me). I even tried accessing the audio section of dandali.com direct, but no show. Thanks anyway.
WOW... Sorry! I just checked the link again and it is there from here. I think that when they upgraded your computers, they may have implemented some sort of a Proxy Server configuration that seems to be blocking some websites including dandali.com. Please contact your Network Administrator regarding this. Also try to access dandali.com from another computer not from your office and let see...