News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

IN MEMORY OF DR. MAMMAN SHATA - SHATA MAI RUHANAI

Started by Dan-Borno, June 03, 2008, 08:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

I am an ardent listener to local hausa music, especially
old stuffs and one of my favourites is Dr. Mamman Shata.
Alhaji (Dr) Mamman Shata Katsina (born in 1923 in Musawa village, Katsina State, Nigeria, died on 9th June, 1999. He is a well-known Hausa musician in West, East and Central Africa. His vocals are often accompanied by talking drums, known as kalangu. He performed for the Hausa people of Northwest Nigeria for more than half a century. He went to the Islamic school as a boy, according to Hausa Muslim tradition.

Musawa at the birth of Shata was under the Katsina Native Authority (N.A.), but when the Local Governments were created it came under Kankia Local Government. At the present time, Musawa itself is a Local Government of its own.

By the time that he moved to Funtua, he was already grown up and married - even as a father. Shata made Funtua his living place for about forty years - up till his death. But he had moved there as a young musician from another town nearby called Bakori. He had also lived in some other towns and villages before coming to Bakori.

Mamman Shata was one of the best selling Polygram artistes from the North in the 80s. He was a highly respected folklorist. He spent about 50 –60 years in the music industry.

Alhaji Shata cannot recall or remember how many songs he produced.But,he was able to record some.

He visited so many African and Western countries in the course of his profession, including the United State of America.

He joined politics in the 3rd Republic and was elected as the Chairman of SDP of Funtua Local Government, in order to serve the public. He later preferred selling kola-nuts and singing.

Also, he performed in various aspects like; Agriculture, Culture, Religion, Economy, Politics, Military etc.

His relationship with other musicians was cordial and his contemporaries are:

Emir of Daura – Alhaji Mohammed Bashiru, Emir of Kano – Alhaji Ado Bayero, Sultan of Sokoto – Mohammed Maccido, Jarma of Kano – Alhaji Mohammed Adamu Da Kabo.

Alhaji Shata died on the 9th June, 1999. He was survived by three (3) wives, twenty-two (22) children and twenty-Eight (28) grand children. His wives are: Furera (the senior wife), Hadiza (the second), and Amina. Previously he married many other women and separated with them, some with children in between them. Amina (the third of his wives when he died) never gave birth even though she lived with him for more than ten years.

My question will be directed at Prof. Abdalla who I assume
is very much conversant with Dr. Shata's songs or any other
member who deems fit to answer me appropriately.  Shata's
song Gagarabadau Namiji Sanannen Dan Kasuwa where he
used very strong languages in describing the character in the
song.  I want to know who is he refering to and what transpired
between them that led him to the song?.

Another question is also on his song "Malam Babba na Kofar gabar"
I want to know if Malam Baba is his teacher when he was young or
what is the relationship between Shata and Malam Baba?

Lastly, Dr. Shata has children, i want to know if any of his children
has came into his footstep in the music profession?

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Sani Danbaffa

I wosh to attempt responding to the 3 questions; from the tone of the Gagarabadau, it seems Shata was refering toa traditional ruler, who married Shata's divorcee. As fo Malam Babba, hedid not mention him as hi teacher, but as a reliable marabout. Lastly, there is no indication that any of his children inherited his ways in singing, raher, he discouraged them from doing so. Others might say more.
Seek knowledge to be usefull to the society, help and spread happiness.