News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Breathing Deeply is Good to your Health !!!

Started by Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu, October 14, 2008, 06:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Our breathing 'in' oxygen and 'out' carbon dioxide just happens without a person thinking about them. Breathing is one of the few body functions humans can control, allowing them to, for example say, swim or play a trumpet. Controlled breathing, i.e, taking in full, diaphragmatic breaths (inpiration) and exhaling slowly or completely (expiration), does improve an individual's overall health; research shows that it can help lower blood pressure, reduce anxiety, and cut the risk of heart disease.

Some suggested Easy Breathing Practices Worth Trying (Scottsdale, Ariz, 2008)

1. Mindfulness breathing Sit comfortably, with closed eyes and an erect but relaxed spine. Breathe slowly and gently through your nose. When distracting thoughts, feelings, or external sounds occur, acknowledge their existence then let them go, returning your attention to your breath. Start with ten minutes and work up to 20 or 30 minutes daily.

2. Deep breathing to reduce stress Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor, warm your hands by rubbing them together, and then place them on your abdomen. Breathe in through your nose and quietly out through pursed lips (which helps make the exhalation longer than the inhalation). Feel your abdomen expanding with each inhalation and retracting with each exhalation. Once you learn this lying down, do the same exercise sitting or standing whenever you need to de-stress. Start with five minutes, and increase your time as you get the hang of it.

3. "Smile" breathing to reduce pain When you're experiencing pain or stress, try smiling. It may feel forced and unnatural at first, but that will change if you can hold it for at least a couple of  minutes. Sense yourself inhaling through your nose and your smile. Direct the combined energy of the smile and your breath to the area that hurts. Exhale through pursed but relaxed lips (as if you were gently blowing on a single candle), and imagine the pain being released. Do this for a minimum of five minutes at a time.

References:

*  Dennis Lewis  (Shambala, 2004). Free Your Breath, Free Your Life.
*  Linda Melone (2008). Breathe deeply // Natural Health .- [WebMD Feature] .- In: Scottsdale, Ariz. -Screen Display.
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

Tukurtukur

Thank you el abbas talatu.  it is a very useful exercise.  It was wonderful a experience. I never knew there is a breathing exercise like this.  I will commence daily breathing exercise like this one on daily basis.

I invite all Forum Members to practice this exercise and be wise and healthy!

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Ride on, Mallam Tukurtukur, only that my name is written ABBAS BUBAKAR EL-TA'ALU, and notel abbas talatu !!!
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".