News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SSS ABORTS AL-QA'EDA ATTACKS IN NIGERIA - ANOTHER GOVT. DECEPTION

Started by Dan-Borno, November 12, 2007, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

Culled from Thisday Newspaper
Reported by Ike Abonyi in Abuja, 11.12.2007

Security reports at the weekend indicate that Nigeria may have been saved the horror of major terrorist attacks following the arrest of suspected terrorists believed to have links to the dreaded Al-Qaeda network.
THISDAY gathered last night that operatives of the State Security Services (SSS) who had been on the trail of some religious militants in Northern part of the country have aborted the intended attacks.
The group, according to the security source, was responsible for the recent attacks on police stations and some neighbourhoods in parts of the country.
The suspects were arrested in Kano, Kaduna and Yobe states with explosive-making devices, including bags of fertiliser and some quantities of firearms.
Sources at the SSS attributed the success in the operation that led to the arrest of the suspects to the recent changes in the service, especially the re-organisation and strengthening of the Anti-Terrorism Department and the prioritisation of the operational focus of the intelligence body.
As at last night, it was not clear where and how the militants wanted to attack but a source said some Western interests in the country might have been their target.
Operatives are also looking into the possibility of the group having backers from religious groups in the country.
THISDAY gathered that since the change in leadership of the country as well as the SSS, some changes have been aimed at repositioning the service for "more responsiveness and more professionalism".
Efforts to get more information on the operation regarding the names and photographs of the arrested religious militants last night proved abortive.
Spokesman of SSS, Mr. Ado Muazu, confirmed the arrest and said suspects were in custody in Abuja.
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa'ad Abubakar III, is said to be in the US currently discussing the issue of terrorism on the invitation of the American government.
Since the terrorism war became full blown, Nigeria has not recorded any case in spite of continuous warning from European Union and the United States of America (USA) to their citizens against possible attacks by the religious militants.
Just before this year's commemoration of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the US by the Al-Qaeda Network, the American Consulate in Lagos had raised alarm over a threat on Western and US interests in Nigeria.
In June 2005, a similar warning had led to the closure of embassies in Lagos and Abuja for some days, a move which a US military spokesperson, Major Holly Silkman, speaking from Dakar, Senegal, had confirmed thus: "There was some kind of threat made and it was through telephone call."
This year, the US mission said it had received information that American and other Western interests in the country were at risk. It did not give the name of any group behind the plot.
A press statement issued then by the Consulate said potential targets included diplomatic buildings and businesses in Abuja and Lagos.
Also, last month, SSS operatives arrested two men in Kano suspected to be members of Al-Qaeda. The men whose names were given as Abubakar Haruna and Isah A. were said to be in their twenties.
They were picked up in Kano following weeks of intense intelligence gathering linking them with visits to several countries suspected to have contacts with known terrorist networks, particularly, Algeria.

_________________________________________________________________________________

When I finished reading this report, i became highly embarrased
i dont know wether with the Newspaper company that reported the
incidence or the Nigerian SSS.

First of all, the reporter felt to provide adequate information as to
what truly transpired of the arrest and detention of the unnamed
person(s) and the SSS who wanted their trumpets to be blown so
loudly could not help in that respect.

After going through the article, I also took the pain of going through
the readers suggestions box and found out that out of the 100%
more than 75% denied this story and directly blamed the Government
of the Day.

I am not denying the activities of so many religious sect among the
Muslims as I will also not deny knowing that so many groups have
been perpetrating evil acts at the Niger Delter region. 

The brutal killings of Ige, Funsho Williams, Sheik Ja'afar,
and so many Nigerians who have faithfully served this country
was never investigation to a logical conclusion - are these act not terrorism?

I still remember the last time the SSS arrested the notorious Malam
Mohammed Yusuf, a Maiduguri base Islamic Scholar with so many
confusing ideologies couldnt do anything despite his detention for over
two months on the charges of connivance with al-qaeda.   They couldnt
prove their case and he was discharged and acquited.

The typical Nigerian SSS doesnt even know his work other than busy
writing reports.  How many criminals crosses our borders to perpetrate
evil acts in this country?

While the Nigerian Government receives grants from US for the purposes
of fighting terrorism, they also feel they should reciprocate same gesture
by arresting innocent Nigerians with the name of terrorism.  I am calling
on this Servant Leader to critically look into the activities of the Nigerian
SSS in a view to bringing them back to their track.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Br very suspicious indeed of any US interference in Nigerian affairs. Nigeria has oil. US would love any pretext to worm its way into Nigerian affairs.
maigemu

MySeLf

Quote from: Dan-Borno on November 12, 2007, 06:30:12 PM

I guess that may be the case cos I just can not believe Taliban or Al Qaeda in nigeria.....
May God save us!

!!!........................I STAND 4 ISLAM..........................!!!

abayu

Quote from: Myself on November 13, 2007, 12:40:25 AM
Quote from: Dan-Borno on November 12, 2007, 06:30:12 PM

I guess that may be the case cos I just can not believe Taliban or Al Qaeda in nigeria.....
May God save us!

Yes, I quite agree with you. I think the Fed. Govt is fulfilling its part of the deal since it does receive grabts for fighting terrorism. I am afraid we might be heading towards what our musilm brothers are suffering here in East Africa, most especially in Kenya. The situation here is this, the current government is renditioning muslim faithfuls to other countries including the Guantanamo Bay camp in Cuba on baseless acusations of terrorism. I think our dear president need to look into this and save our innocent brothers from falling victims to the US plot.
May the peace and blessings of Allah be unto the seal of Prophethood Muhammad SAAW.