News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SOCCER UPDATE

Started by Negus, May 19, 2004, 04:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Negus

Valencia Exceed Benitez' Expectations

05/20/2004. Valencia coach Rafa Benitez was full of praise for his players after they beat Marseille 2-0 to lift the Uefa Cup.

"When we started the season no one expected us to win two such important trophies," he said.

"I thought that given the commitment and the players' readiness to work we could achieve things this season, but this is a really great achievement."

He continued: "The first half was very even. We found it hard to get behind them and they put us under a lot of pressure, but the incident at the end of the half opened the game up. We might even have got a third goal.

"From the bench I expected a penalty and a red card because it was a very clear goalscoring opportunity.

"It was such a clear chance that it deserved the punishment that it got."

Negus

Barthez Blows it

Fabien Barthez was sent off as Valencia claimed the UEFA Cup with victory over Marseille in Gothenburg. The former Manchester United keeper saw red for a cynical 45th-minute challenge on Mista which enabled Vicente to set the Spaniards on their way to victory from the spot. It was another continental nightmare for Barthez who was axed by Sir Alex Ferguson last year after United's Champions League semi-final defeat to Real Madrid.

Negus

MORIENTES ON BRINK OF SEALING MOVE
Thursday 20th May 2004

Fernando Morientes has revealed he is close to joining a new club with French sources claiming the Real Madrid striker is on the brink of signing for Chelsea.

The experienced hit-man was the West Londoners' chief tormentor in the UEFA Champions League semi-final but had been expected to return to Real when his loan spell with Monaco expired.

However, the Spanish forward has since hinted at a possible move to London and, despite rumours that his destination could be champions Arsenal, it is believed Chelsea are in pole position to snap up the 28-year-old.

"We are close to a solution," Morientes told L'Equipe. "We can say it is settled at 90 percent.

"I like the project a lot, but the finalisation of the contract can need a little more time.

"So it is possible, meanwhile, from the end of the season, that I will go back to Real Madrid."

Roman Abramovich has reportedly offered a five-year contract to somebody who impressed the Russian owner with his appearances in Europe with a ?12 million offer winging its way to El Santiago Bernabeu.

Valencia are potential rivals for Morientes's signature and they could have an Ace up their sleeve if they offer combative captain Roberto Ayala in exchange, but Chelsea appear to be clear favourites.

Negus

Hitzfeld to exit Bayern at weekend

BERLIN, May 18 (Reuters) - Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld will leave the 2003 German champions at the end of this season after a lacklustre campaign in which they failed to win a trophy, the club said on Tuesday.
Germany's most successful club ended weeks of speculation with a statement saying Saturday's game against SC Freiburg, which wraps up the team's Bundesliga season, would be Hitzfeld's last as Bayern's coach.

The decision follows a disappointing season in which Bayern were knocked out of the Champions League and domestic cup competitions early on and deposed last week as German champions by Werder Bremen.

Hitzfeld, Germany's most successful club coach ever, said he would have liked to have stayed until his contract expired at the end of the 2004/05 season but realised after talking with executive director Uli Hoeness that it was impossible.

'Uli Hoeness told me the club had decided otherwise,' he told German television following a friendly match in Hungary.

'I have always been a fighter and I would have liked to carry on, even though there would have been a lot of pressure. But the club didn't want it because the pressure on everyone would have been immense,' he said.

'Maybe if we'd won against Bremen and Stuttgart, the situation would have been different.'

Negus

Houllier set for high noon departure

Liverpool have called a press conference for midday where they are expected to announce the departure of Gerard Houllier as manager.

Chairman David Moores and his board did not give public backing to the manager after he achieved the 'minimum requirement' of Champions League qualification by finishing fourth.

The Frenchman may yet remain at Anfield in another role, but the club are expected to look for a new manager to take the club forward.

The Reds trailed Premiership champions Arsenal by 30 points and were 15 points behind third-placed Manchester United.

Houllier won five trophies in 2001 and won the League Cup for a second time in 2003, but has failed to return the club to the past glories of the 1970s and 1980s.

The Frenchman insisted at the weekend that he was '100% certain' to remain in charge at Anfield, even though fourth place was deemed to be the minimum acceptable target by chairman David Moores.

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, Charlton's highly-rated Alan Curbishley and Valencia coach Rafael Benitez have all been reported as contenders to succeed Houllier.

Negus

Everton scoop "Rooney to Man Utd" romour

Everton's deputy chairman Bill Kenwright has laughed off reports they have sold Wayne Rooney to Manchester United.
The 18-year-old England striker has also been linked with a summer switch to Chelsea.

But Kenwright told the club's official website: 'It is always difficult to respond to rubbish. David Moyes and myself have discussed a combined response and it is - the article is laughable.

'No deal has ever been discussed, set up or agreed with Manchester United or, indeed, any other football club on the planet.'

Negus

Barca Reps Travelling To Brazil For Luis Fabiano

05/22/2004. Representatives of Barcelona are set to travel to Brazil next week with the intention of signing Sao Paulo forward Luis Fabiano.

The Brazilian club's president, Marcelo Portugal Gouvea, said that he will listen to Barca's proposal, but has insisted that he does not want to sell.

But if the Catalans were to offer 20 million dollars to terminate the player's contract, negotiations could advance.

Negus

Lacombe To Replace Deschamps At Monaco

05/21/2004. With Monaco almost certain of losing Didier Deschamps to either Juventus or Chelsea, the French club has already targetted its new coach: Guy Lacombe.

Lacombe currently coaches Sochaux and seems to be the ideal replacement for the departing Deschamps according to the Monaco management.

Negus

Edu issues Ljungberg plea

Arsenal's Brazilian midfielder Edu has pleaded with the Highbury board to make sure that Swedish star Freddie Ljungberg stays at Highbury.
Ljungberg struggled to recapture his best form last term after making his comeback from a persistent hip injury.

The former Halmstads star has been linked with a switch to Real Madrid and there have been suggestions that the North Londoners will look to cash in on him if a suitable offer arrives.

However, Edu feels it is imperative that the squad which took The Gunners through the league season unbeaten is kept intact, and has urged the club to make sure Ljungberg stays.

"I think I speak for all the players when I say that no-one wants this team to be broken up," he told the News of the World.

"Of course, that decision is really out of my hands.

"But we all have formed a close bond and it's not nice when someone has to break away from that bond.

"I know there has been some stuff said about Freddie and that is really sad.

"We all need him here and we all want him to stay.

"He played a big part in what we achieved this year and like all of us, he can play a big part in the future.

"He is a player I really admire."

Negus

Bercelona claim second

Barcelona took runners-up spot behind Primera Liga champions Valencia despite a 2-1 defeat at Real Zaragoza after Real Madrid continued their late season meltdown with a 4-1 defeat at home to Real Sociedad. With Deportivo Coruna winning 1-0 at Racing Santander on the final day of the season, Real were condemned to fourth-place after slumping to a record fifth defeat in a row. Real took just three points from their last eight games, while Barcelona made up 20 points on their arch-rivals in the second half of the season

Negus

Lyon confirm champion in style

PARIS, May 23 (Reuters) - Olympique Lyon joined Olympique Marseille and St Etienne in the record books on Sunday when they clinched their third consecutive French league title.
Lyon humbled Lille 3-0 at home to finish with 79 points, three ahead of Paris St Germain with Champions League finallists Monaco another point behind.

The champions effectively wrapped up the title last week after Monaco were beaten 4-1 at home to Stade Rennes, meaning Sunday's match turned into a coronation.

'It's a great stunt which deserves respect from everyone,' said Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas. 'I want to pay tribute to coach Paul Le Guen who steered the team to the title in a strong championship.

'You needed to take a record 79 points to become champions this year. It means something to me.'

Striker Sidney Govou scored from a pass by Peguy Luyindula five minutes from the break to give his side the lead and midfielder Mahamadou Diarra slotted home from the penalty spot to make it 2-0. Luyindula added a third 11 minutes from time.

Ambitious PSG secured a direct Champions League berth thanks to a 1-0 win at Bastia, striker Pedro Pauleta scoring the winner eight minutes into the second half.

They will be playing Champions League soccer for the first time since 2000-2001

Negus

Bayern finish as bundesliga runners up

BERLIN, May 22 (Reuters) - Bayern Munich secured a Champions League spot with a 2-0 victory over SC Freiburg on Saturday in their final Bundesliga game of the season and their last under coach Ottmar Hitzfeld.
The outgoing champions finish runners-up to Werder Bremen and will enter the group phase of European club soccer's premier event.

Germany midfielder Sebastian Deisler, starting a Bundesliga game for the first time in over six months after recovering from depression, opened the scoring with a deflected effort from outside the box on 18 minutes.

France defender Bixente Lizarazu wrapped it up from a penalty in the 73rd minute.

Bayern end the season without a title and Hitzfeld has been told to leave to make room for Felix Magath, who will join from VfB Stuttgart.

'We took the game seriously and did what we had to,' said Hitzfeld, who fought back tears when he was handed flowers before the kickoff.

'Overall I had a great time at Bayern,' added the man who guided the Munich club to four Bundesliga titles and their Champions League triumph in 2001.

Werder, who sealed their fourth crown with two games to spare, signed off with a 3-1 defeat at Hansa Rostock.

The northerners will now chase their first domestic double when they play second division Alemannia Aachen in the German Cup final next Saturday in Berlin.

'We did not have the concentration you need to win such a game,' said Werder coach Thomas Schaaf. 'Let's hope it will be different in the final.'

Negus

LEVERKUSEN THIRD

Bayer Leverkusen snatched third place and a ticket to the qualifying round of the Champions League with a 2-0 win over VfB Stuttgart, who will have to be content with fourth place and a UEFA Cup spot.

Bulgaria striker Dimitar Berbatov gave Leverkusen the lead on 63 minutes and midfielder Bernd Schneider doubled it with five minutes left, following up after a penalty by goalkeeper Hans-Joerg Butt bounced off the post.

'I am disappointed but not bitter,' Magath said after his last game in charge of Stuttgart. 'I am a bit sad to leave Stuttgart behind but I am looking forward to going to Bayern. It will be a great challenge.'

Modest VfL Bochum will also play in Europe after crowning a surprise late run with a 3-1 win over Hanover 96 which gave them fifth place in the final standings.

Borussia Dortmund ended a disappointing season with a 1-1 draw at Kaiserslautern and finish sixth, narrowly missing out on a UEFA Cup spot.

TSV 1860 Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt were relegated after defeats that left them second and third from bottom respectively. They will play in the second division next season alongside bottom club Cologne, who have been relegated for weeks.

TSV 1860 lost 3-1 at Borussia Moenchengladbach while Eintracht lost 2-1 at Hamburg SV.

Negus

Roma In Mexes Talks - Agent

05/23/2004. The agent of Auxerre defender Philippe Mexes has confirmed that Roma are in talks for his client.

"It is not true that we will be in Rome next week (as some reports had suggested) but I know that Capello is a big fan of Philippe and there are negotiations in place," Olivier Joanneaux told Goalcity.it. "It is pointless denying that.

"Juventus are also interested in Mexes, as are a very prestigious English side, so the talks are still wide open. The French transfer market opens tomorrow, but I think we'll know a lot more about his future in about ten days."

Negus

?20m Roberto Carlos set for Chelsea?

Real Madrid director of football Jorge Valdano claims left-back Roberto Carlos will complete a ?20million move to Chelsea in the next few days.

The 31-year-old Brazilian star was linked with a switch to Stamford Bridge several months ago but it is reported he will now take up an offer from the Blues which will double his salary to around ?120,000 a week.

With new manager Jose Antonio Camacho installed at the Bernabeu in place of Carlos Queiroz, it may be time for Carlos, and possibly some of Madrid's other star names, to move on following a disastrous finish to the season which saw Real slip to five straight defeats.

Valdano told Spanish daily sports paper AS: 'We're waiting for a fax from Chelsea confirming they will pay the ?20million fee in order to complete the deal'.

Carlos himself has sent out mixed messages over the weekend.

He told BBC Radio Brazil: 'I'm leaving Real Madrid, I'm going.'

But after Madrid's 4-1 defeat by Real Sociedad he was adamant he wanted to stay at Real, saying: 'I want to stay at Real Madrid and I think my situation will be sorted out in the next 20 days.

'I am certain I will be here next season. I need a rest now, because I have had a lot of years playing a lot of games.

'I will go home to Brazil on Tuesday, my lawyer will call the club and he will sort things out.'