News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Should WE or Should WE not

Started by _Waziri_, September 05, 2006, 03:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should WE or Should WE not

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 05, 2006, 03:03:16 PM

_Waziri_

It is reported recently that the OBJ faction of the PDP is contempleting "inviting" General Muhammadu Buhari (Rtd) to join the party and contest for the highest office in the country under its platform. The question here is, can Buhari trust OBJ enough to sign any political deal with him. Is it in the interest of Buhari's Northern Nigeria, and the rest of the country in general that he should abandon the ANPP and Join PDP. Can this be another plan from OBJ's camp to.....?

Ete

I think it is in the interest of Buhari not to even contemplate running for any office.  Like the northern youths said recently, it is the turn of the South South to produce the next President. This view is also shared by every other geo- political region of the country. So the correct poll to take should actually be one showing a couple of young, modern, and visionary South South candidates vieing for the Presidency and we indicating which one we think is most suitable based on several factors like education, record, experience, work history, character, etc.

HUSNAA

I say that Buhari should leave the ANPP and join up with OBJ if there is a chance that he can become the next president of Nigeria. There is not a single tried and tested politician that is in the playing field today who has not been found wanting in ethical values and behavior except Gen Buhari. So I say go for it.
As for a south south presidential candidate, I want Ete to name one southern politician who has served in office and has been scrupulous. Then we may consider him. But if he cannot name anyone, then the devil you know is better than the devil you dont know. At least I am 100% sure that Buhari will serve the populace if put in office and not enrich himself.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Ete

Ok, Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe.

Furthermore, explain what you mean by me naming one southern politician so that "we" may consider him. Who is the "WE" that reserves the right to consider? Please explain.

The other question is, why do you insist on me naming someone that has served in office? Why want someone that has already served? Aren't past service people part of the problem? Why not look for someone has not had the opportunity to serve who perhaps has more or something new to offer?

neozizo

I if the report is true,i think Buhari should be very careful before he makes a decision.A move like this has the potential to destroy his reputation.'sides whats the catch,what dubious deal is OBJ offerin Buhari?

Husnaa i think is harsh of you to suggest that the South hasn't got a credible candidate for 2007.
I beleive that the presidency should not be open to only persons who have served before.We need to move on.

HUSNAA

I can cast my vote for Ebitu Ukiwe. I think he can come across as an acceptable candidate to a majority of northerners. I have never heard anything unsavory about him in so far as Nig politicians are concerned. However, I dont know his personal feelings towards the north. That should strongly be taken into consideration. We northerners dont  want a Gideon Gwaza in disguise....
BTW the guy is so quiet. Why doesnt he come forward and advertize himself?
By 'We', I meant us northerners.
The reason why I dont mind considering those who have served in office is because those who have been known to be honest when they were serving the nation are a better bet than those for whom we are not sure how they will behave in office. That is why I am rooting for Buhari. After him, I really dont know anyone else (from the pack of hungry wolves baying for the presidency at the moment) who will not rape the Nigerian treasury given the chance.
Zizo. I am not being harsh or saying that the south doesnt have competent ppl to rule this country. What I am saying is that  the current crop of presidential hopefuls both from the north and south all have a question mark over their heads, and I really have no confidence in any of them, except Buhari, although Ete may say that Buhari ruled with an iron hand and was despotic during his short time in office. At least to me he was despotic for all the right reasons, and Nigerians needed an iron hand to rule them.
Buhari has a perfect excuse to defect. The ANPP doesnt value him at all. That has been obvious for a long time and ANPP's credibility in the north at least is partly because of his presence in it. Once he's out of it, the party will simply fold over.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Ete

Well, I am not sure why Ebitu Ukiwe has not shown a desire to run for office. Here is my issue with Buhari's candidacy for the Presidency. I seriously do not believe that Buhari, IBB, and Atiku, Obj or anyone in that clan has anything to offer. I think majority of Nigerians feel this way also.  These people coming back and forth to rule is like pouring water in basket.  It is clearly a non productive venture, and I would rather do something different than continue doing the same old thing and expecting a different result. This is why African a continent is stale.

Buhari may not be as honest as advertised and clearly does not obey the laws of the land. His leadership of PTF during Abacha's rule had its share of controversy as millions of dollars were misappropriated or unaccounted for. It was the same story when he was a minister, and again same financial controversy involving missing suitecases of money traceable to him when he was head of state. None of these issues were addressed by him at any point. When oputa panel summooned him to appear before a grand jury, he flaunted the order indicating that he is above the courts and the law. These are not Presidential qualities.

However, given where we are in our history, it is obvious that it would require more than 'clout' to help move Nigeria foward. The country would require a very smart, intelligent, savy, dynamic, energetic, educated, driven, skillful, charismatic, and enlightened person to put the country back on track.

If you ask me, amongst the candidates that are being thrown out there as hopefuls, I would rather see Cross River State Governor Donald Duke be President.  Now, he may not be 'acceptable' in the north for reasons best known to them. But the north needs to begin to start looking at records, initiatives, skills, and all the other qualifications necessary to holding an important office rather than the usual Ranka dede syndrom. ( blind adulation of persons for no apperent reasons, other than name)

The northern youths that staged a demonstration recently and prevented the northern governors from holding their usual meeting, seemed to have figured this out, and no longer want to blindly support a candidate based on ethnic origin. This is a welcome development and the more people gain that type of awareness and independence of thought, the sooner we'll begin having the right people in positions of authority.

Barde

This regional thing is not going to take us anywhere, what we need is a sincere leader that can give us food on the table, let him come from anywhere, if he has all it takes to be a good leader.

Ete,

Ebitu ekiwe should be in the same category with Buhari, IBB, Atiku, i dont know why you seems to prefer him. And do you think if Buhari is not clean they will allow him to be walking freely? A committee was set up to investigate the activities of PTF since before he joined politics, do you know who chaired the committee?
im