News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Technology and Economic Development of kano State

Started by hashimDanmama, June 08, 2005, 10:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashimDanmama

please coment on the above topic and what you think can be done to revive kano industries and to contribute towards the economic development on the state.

alhaji_aminu

Power is the main problem with Kano based industries today. No one can sustain any scale of manufacturing whilst running of diesel generators. It is simply just expensive.

The second reason for the collapse of kano industries, most of which are textiles, is smuggling. Because retailers prefer selling cheaper Asian products, which are banned, that has meant Kano companies are starved of customers.

The govt has to play a very strong role in securing borders and also making unscheduled raid to markets to ensure that the retailers comply with govt directive on the importation of textiles.

If this done, some i not all the companies will be back in business because the market is there.

gogannaka

Power as alhaji_aminu pointed out is the most serious hurdle.
I think it is time for the northern states to start thinking of ways to tap the abundant natural gas in Nigeria.
Recently i heard that egypt was involved in talks with Nigeria on how to build a Gas pipeline from Bonny to Egypt which would make way for breather(tapping) points to be located in most of the northern states of nigeria.This would make the set-up of independent gas power plants possible and 'most likely' an end to the power problem. The idea was somehow rejected by the Nigerian Government (rumours have it that it was rejected because a part of the country would becom independent).
Nevertheless,the northern states need not wait for another country to initialise such developmental efforts. I believe the northern states should build their own gas pipelines which will no doubt ease the persistent power shortage.This would also encourage industrialisation and hence a reduction in poverty which is the aim of every government.
The FCDA chairman( el-rufa'i) is set to build a gas pipeline to abuja at an estimated cost of  14billion naira.If he does this then it would be easy for the nearby states to build their own pipelines.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment