News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Brothers and sisters chatting permitted?

Started by Mujib, May 08, 2004, 10:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mujib

Is communication between unrelated brothers and sisters over the internet permitted?

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

Please see the following links:

Is it okay for brothers and sisters to chat online?
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00001336.aspx

Is Using Internet Permissible?
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00002049.aspx

Wassalam,
Hanafi Fiqh Staff

Anonymous

Well Islamically, a woman is not allowed to associate with anybody who is not her Muharram. Accodring to the Shariah Law its does not allow a woman to come in close contact with any man other than husband, her or blood brother or her father. Even when she does theres a certain proximity regarding closeness, that she should not ova step.

In respect of chattin online, I do not have any knowledge based on dat aspect, howeva I cud well relate 2 d fact that aslong as a woman does not come in contact with anyone other her muharram then it's "ok" to chat. Furthermore, whateva their chats is bout, it should not b based on "nasty talks". But communication b/w men & women via chats might be somewhat ok if I may say.

On d oda hand, if some say its haram, I wud like to pose this question out: What will happen is situations whereby a woman happens to b d secretary in ur office answering fone calls on ur behalf & most of ur business associates leavin messages wit her r men?

But thinkin twice, y wud any1 even hav total complete stranger in their contacts, dey either b family members, relative or freinds, odawise........

ummita

Ehnnn as I was sayin b/4 sumthin happened & signed me off &  had mah comments as guest.........oh well said d I can :idea:
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Mujib

[On d oda hand, if some say its haram, I wud like to pose this question out: What will happen is situations whereby a woman happens to b d secretary in ur office answering fone calls on ur behalf & most of ur business associates leavin messages wit her r men?]

Necessary interaction, such as at work or school, is permitted.  Other than that is not.  

[But thinkin twice, y wud any1 even hav total complete stranger in their contacts, dey either b family members, relative or freinds, odawise........]

When it is said ?strange? or ?strangers? or ?unrelated? it means non-mahram.  Unnecessary interaction between non-mahram members of the opposite gender is not permitted.

Allah and His Messenger know best.  Was-Salam

ummita

Salaamz,
I do appreacite ur comments. You stated that once a person(man or woman) is not related 2 one anoda as in not muharrams of either party, then any means of communication is haram right? I provide lil case scenarios below:
1. What do we have 2 say bout women buying things (barganin 4 a gud deal)from a seller, doesnt unnecessary interaction take place right?
2. Chatting online: yes there myt b non muharrams but come to think of it two ppl behind screen whats bad bout it? As long as dey keep their discussions clean! What's ill in that?
3. Isnt it a form of communication takin place here, in respect of dis particular thread? Isnt it a way of interaction & discussin issues? In this particular topic U & I r not muharrams: not related by blood either. So where do we stand?
4. What bout women askin questions in Islamic conferences 2 Ulamaz,Moulanah & sheiks? Isnt it a form of interaction?

U mentioned "unnecessary" interaction. Even though, dis forum serves as  a mean of interaction, though it particular purpose is 2 share knowledge, views & opinions koh? Odawise, I c no reason y ppl shud get in2 discussions afta all it is like a means of "unnecessary" interraction, wen we hav books 2 read & learn from!!!!

A typical xzample is this particular forum where most ppl interact by leavin msgs which is VERY similar 2 chats, because is all bout dropping msgs ryt?. Soshud it aswell b considered haram? This got meh thinkin, U & I are discussin on a topic, shud it b categorised as unnecessary & haram since we can all conduct researches bout key issues? Majority of d ppl in dis forum r not muharrams of each oda. So wat do we hav 2 say? So does that mean we hav committed a sin or hav we already sinned? Or am I ova generalisin issues here? (she laffs)
Do not get meh wrong. I am not in anyway tryin 2 protect mah views or challenge u or d wordings of Allah. Rather, I try 2 seek knowledge from people wit greater knowledge. We also learn from others.
Ma'assalam

Hafsy_Lady

What you see is what you get[/b]

Knowledge

Quote from: "Anonymous"Well Islamically, a woman is not allowed to associate with anybody who is not her Muharram. Accodring to the Shariah Law its does not allow a woman to come in close contact with any man other than husband, her or blood brother or her father. Even when she does theres a certain proximity regarding closeness, that she should not ova step.

In respect of chattin online, I do not have any knowledge based on dat aspect, howeva I cud well relate 2 d fact that aslong as a woman does not come in contact with anyone other her muharram then it's "ok" to chat. Furthermore, whateva their chats is bout, it should not b based on "nasty talks". But communication b/w men & women via chats might be somewhat ok if I may say.

On d oda hand, if some say its haram, I wud like to pose this question out: What will happen is situations whereby a woman happens to b d secretary in ur office answering fone calls on ur behalf & most of ur business associates leavin messages wit her r men?

But thinkin twice, y wud any1 even hav total complete stranger in their contacts, dey either b family members, relative or freinds, odawise........

[color=blue]how about men??? can they have close encounters with other women who aren't his muharram???

ummita

Salaamz Knowledge,
I do not know alot but what I am most definately sure of is this: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH ANYONE WHO IS NOT  YOUR MUHARRAM, BE U A MAN OR A WOMAN.

However, if you wish to find out more, am sure you will online.