News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

First Inland Container Port Takes Off in Kano.

Started by neozizo, September 14, 2006, 08:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neozizo

Dala inland dry port limited, a licensed concessionaire, in partnership with Maersk Sealand and the KNSG opened its depot in Kano on 12 sept,2006.
The KIP is the 1st of six approved by FG. It is expected to serve both exporters and importers from land locked northern states as well as neighboring countries. Its function will include receiving cargo by rail from seaports as well as processing and handling export cargo from kano and environs.
Apart from promoting opening of new business and cutting costs for existing bussinesmen, the KIP will help improve socio-economic development of Kano.

The FG should further help in the success of the port by upgrading it to EPZ as well as swift reinstatement of the railway system.

HUSNAA

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

neozizo

I believe cost of transportation will remain unchanged, pending the full commencement of railway services, as goods will be transported to and from Lagos.
The difference is the convenience of having to do ur paper work @ Kano as opposed to Lagos where apart from travel expensed uo have to contend with congestion as there is more activity there.
Nevertheless our businessmen should be less conservative and seek more innovative ways of overcoming the problems that might hinder the success of this new development rather than just waiting and hoping for Govt provide everything for them.

bakangizo

Where would the "port" be located? It is a good development. I only hope it would be allowed to work. Too many development-related projects/intiatives were abandoned in the past.

HUSNAA

Quote from: "zizo"I believe cost of transportation will remain unchanged, pending the full commencement of railway services, as goods will be transported to and from Lagos.

Tir kashan!! Sai angama railway?? wai wai wai! Kace this is a non starter then!!
Biz men utilize routes via Niger to import shipments so I am told. Do u know anymore about these routes?

gogannaka

Yes,the bizmen utilize the Niger route.The route is primarily used by smugglers who try to avoid the customs.Most importers of contraband items in the northern part of Nigeria use the Niger route because it is closer to the northern part and the roads are good.Also the customs officials charge less in terms of bribe than their southern counterparts.
I've heard the story of a very big tycoon that smuggles contraband items(mostly textile) for the chinese in Nija,story has it that he is paid in billions and that if you are lucky to sneak in your goods or cars in his train/convoy,you need not worry about customs because they've already 'settled' them.
The normal niger route comes from cotonou thru Niger to Nigeria via either tsanyawa-bichi-kano, birnin kuka-mashi-kazaure-kano or the yankwashi routes.

Note:i am not a smuggler o! Just news from the streets.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

HUSNAA

Quote from: "gogannaka"
Note:i am not a smuggler o! Just news from the streets.
Lol GGNK, of course u are not!!  :D U are just very meticulous in yr observations that is why u can discuss or relate things in greater depth....check out yr description of that night out at the BC!!
Thanks for the info. Its really helpful.