News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Recent posts

chit-chat / Re: NEW! Hausa Online dating
Last post by Aarmon33 - September 17, 2016, 10:32:03 AM
That's really a nice post. An immense crowd uses online dating apps and in my opinion it is a safe way to meet new people. I too use Gay Dating Apps and have made some good friends. Now I am in love with a dashing guy whom met online. We will be engaged very soon!
General Board / Re: How can we make Kano Onlin...
Last post by Alex25 - August 30, 2016, 08:05:19 PM
the front page needs to have a list of the most active or latest posts
Culture / Re: REAL TRADITIONAL NAMES (su...
Last post by AspiringKande - August 23, 2016, 01:06:32 AM
Quote from: bakangizo on August 15, 2016, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: AspiringKande on August 14, 2016, 01:54:02 AM
Quote from: bakangizo on May 26, 2011, 08:22:15 AM
Is it safe to assume that almost all Hausa traditional names are associated with the events, circumstances, locations etc surrounding the birth of the child?

A lot of them are, but not all. It's the same as in other cultures. In Hausa we have names like Wada (m) and Yalwa (f) which mean 'abundance' and are given to ensure wealth, most English names such as Jane, Mark etc had meanings too, but the meanings have been lost over centuries as the language evolved. The same way some Hausa names such as Yaquled, Turunku, Bakwa, Daurama etc are just plain names to us because their meanings have been lost because that version of Hausa is no longer spoken.

Lol! And here ws I thinking the name "Wada" has its origin from a dwarf  ;D. Now, I have a colleague named Wadata. Is that a shortened form of 'Wada'? Because Wadata refers to affluence or abundance in a much better way than simply Wada.

Exactly, Wada, came from 'Wadata'. the name is given to ensure wealth/affluence.
Last post by bakangizo - August 15, 2016, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: AspiringKande on August 14, 2016, 01:54:02 AM
Is it safe to assume that almost all Hausa traditional names are associated with the events, circumstances, locations etc surrounding the birth of the child?

A lot of them are, but not all. It's the same as in other cultures. In Hausa we have names like Wada (m) and Yalwa (f) which mean 'abundance' and are given to ensure wealth, most English names such as Jane, Mark etc had meanings too, but the meanings have been lost over centuries as the language evolved. The same way some Hausa names such as Yaquled, Turunku, Bakwa, Daurama etc are just plain names to us because their meanings have been lost because that version of Hausa is no longer spoken.

Lol! And here ws I thinking the name "Wada" has its origin from a dwarf  ;D. Now, I have a colleague named Wadata. Is that a shortened form of 'Wada'? Because Wadata refers to affluence or abundance in a much better way than simply Wada.
General Board / Re: Endangered Species of Name...
Last post by admin - August 14, 2016, 04:03:52 AM
Hello AspiringKande,

I just want to take this opportunity to welcome you to Kano Online Forum...
chit-chat / Re: Distort my name
Last post by AspiringKande - August 14, 2016, 01:57:14 AM
Quote from: IBB on January 08, 2010, 11:37:58 PM
Quote from: EMTL on January 03, 2010, 07:56:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum,
Hausawa have also distorted the following names:

Tukur - should have been Muhammad SHUKUR
Zuwaira- should have been Juwaira

Ai kaga mun karu

To ina ma'anar: Ado, Adamu, Bala, Bello, Garba, Ilu, Sadiku

Tukur is actually an original Hausa name. its the title of district heads etc.
Ado comes from Adam. Bala is short for Balarabe, Bello means a man from Sokoto. G
Last post by AspiringKande - August 14, 2016, 01:54:02 AM

General Board / Re: Endangered Species of Name...
Last post by AspiringKande - August 14, 2016, 12:31:11 AM
Hey Guys,

Sannun ku. I know its been years since this discussion ended, but I hope at least one or two of you are still online.

I recently began compiling original Hausa traditional names that had no Arabic influence. I've gotten up to 300 names at the moment, and I came across this forum. I totally agree with most things mentioned by Abdallah. I tried accessing your compilation, but it appears it has been removed from the database. I would really like access to this please.

General Board / Re: BACK TO SWEDEN IN MEMORY O...
Last post by bakangizo - August 04, 2016, 12:51:53 PM
Allah ya jikansu da rahama.
General Board / Re: How can we make Kano Onlin...
Last post by bakangizo - August 03, 2016, 11:45:23 AM
I was going to suggest to admin that an app be created for the site, but nice to see that that suggestion has already been made. I'm a bit nostalgic about the old site and feel, like goga mentioned, maybe a mobile-friendly site might suffice. At least for now. What matters most is for members to come back and be a bit active. An occasional post now and then would go a long way in helping to revive this beloved forum. I have sojourned into the worlds of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram (yes, sadly ???), Google+ etc, but personally nothing beat this place. Maybe I'm old-fashioned like that  ;D