News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Doing Business: W’Bank Ranks Kano Top Reformer, Jigawa Easiest State

Started by gogannaka, June 11, 2010, 10:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

The World Bank yesterday ranked Kano State, the top reformer amongst the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory  while Jigawa,the easiest state  to do business in Nigeria.The top reformers are the states with competitive regulatory framework for businesses.

These facts became known in Doing Business in Nigeria 2010, a joint International Finance Corporation (IFC)-World Bank Report, which was launched yesterday in Abuja.The report is the second in a series analysing business regulation in Nigerian states and the first to assess the ease of doing business in all 36 states of the Federation and Federal Capital Territory (FCT),Abuja.

The World Bank noted that Nigerian states have been actively reforming to encourage business activity over the past two years.Results, according to the Bretton Woods institution, showed that eight of 11 states evaluated in 2008 have improved in at least one of the areas measured between June 2008 and January 2010.

A total of 14 reforms were recorded, 11 of which focused on property registration and construction permits. Kano is the top reformer, with reforms in three out of four indicators.

The four indicators are: starting a business, dealing with construction permits, registering property and enforcing contract.While Jigawa topped the table of ease of doing business in Nigeria this year, Gombe and Borno followed as the second and third,respectively on the ladder. Imo and Ogun states were staying at the bottom of the table as the most difficult state in doing business in Nigeria.

From thisday Newspaper
11-06-2010
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

That's good to hear. It shows that the govt is concious of the importance of attracting business to the state. However, provision of infrastructure is vital. And ultimately, the main challenge still remains power. As long as the power situation remain as it is, the aims of the reforms may be defeated in the long run.

gogannaka

When i read the comments of readers on thisday online website, i realized how jealous people were of this revelation.
Imo and Ogun were the least favourable to do business.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Of course. They always find it hard to stomach when/if we beat them at something. Why I'm highly impressed if because this is something subtle, yet very critical. It is not your usual publicity-seeking stunts, cos it isn't publicised and not everybody pay attention to, or is aware of, such things. I can only hope the govt can provide the necessary infrastructure to back up the reforms.