News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

IBB's Declaration: A requim to an ailing Behemoth

Started by Nuruddeen, November 13, 2006, 11:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Quote from: "amira"hmmmm, theses naija ppl wats wrong with them???????? i would not vote ibb even if he gave me $$$, haba don Allah ppl of this country naga alamar basu san inda ke masu ciwo ba. as you said Barde they are forgetful, some of theses politician know how to steal ppls heart once they have given them some $$$ i believe this is a thing to shut their mouths, see abin duniya na rufe masu ido, they walk like blind bats.

Seriously this whole issue with nigeria is all bout "MONEY" if you look round the corners u will see how a person wants to be a president, a governor or wat eva just bcos they want to eat arziki without doing wat they were placed to do, they only use the money for their benefit, su dai baruwansu da other ppl of the country whether they have food to eat or sumthing to drink.

Allah sauwake!!!!

Ameen Amira.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Wannan mutum ya shiga uku.
Everyone is entitled to his orr her own opinion sha.
I believe IBB's regime did more good than all the regimes that came after his.
I wonder,between annulling an election, removing an elected government or selecting a government which is worse?
From all indications IBB is set to be Nigeria's next president.It's better you pray he leads us well into a developed Nigeria than to pour abuses on Him.

Wai lokacin shi kadai ne a armed forces ruling council din ne?
The first person to suggest the annulment of the june 12 elections was Francis Arthur Nzeribe who is a distinguished senator in the present regime.
IBB didn't commit the 'accused' atrocities alone.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

lionger

Quote from: "gogannaka"Wannan mutum ya shiga uku.
I wonder,between annulling an election, removing an elected government or selecting a government which is worse?
From all indications IBB is set to be Nigeria's next president.It's better you pray he leads us well into a developed Nigeria than to pour abuses on Him.

The first person to suggest the annulment of the june 12 elections was Francis Arthur Nzeribe who is a distinguished senator in the present regime.

Eh???

First of all, IBB's crimes aren't limited to election annulment. They include:
1. 1986 SAP implementation and the resulting devaluation of the Naira and the decimation of the middle class
2. Unaccounted Gulf oil 'windfall'
3. The entrenchment of a pervasive corruption culture.

Second, the June 12, 1993 election annulment will always be foremost in the minds of many Nigerians because of the fairness of teh election, the exposure of IBB's blatant deceit and the widespread confusion it caused especially in the Southwest for many years to come. Election rigging and 'selection' are also criminal actions but they do not diminish the impact of the June 12 fiasco. It was no small matter!

QuoteI wonder,between annulling an election, removing an elected government or selecting a government which is worse?
Thirdly, IBB is possibly guilty of doing all the above. Her is a man that took part in all Nigeria's successful coups - including the one that toppled Shrgari's elected government and brought in Buhari. Speaking of government 'selection - isn't this what many Nigerians perceive IBB did by propping up OBJ before us in 1999?

QuoteIBB didn't commit the 'accused' atrocities alone
If IBB had partners in crime, then he also had partners in the good he did - whatever that is. And Abacha's, Abubakar's and OBJ's regimes that you imply were worse than IBB's (quite disputable) - aren't they working with others as well? This argument doesn't work.

QuoteFrom all indications IBB is set to be Nigeria's next president.It's better you pray he leads us well into a developed Nigeria than to pour abuses on Him.
Finally, IBB is not yet president. Therefore as long as we're praying, it  is far better that we pray for better candidates to step forward and succeed, rather than accept the return of IBB in a defeatist manner. Remember what happened to Abacha's self-succession attempt? Nothing is settled yet. So watch and pray accordingly!

Muhsin

Quote from: "gogannaka"Wannan mutum ya shiga uku.

Hey people! We got one pro-IBB here. Don Allah a sammana tsarin(kudin kanfain) siyasar.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

LOL@ Muhsin.Ni ban karbi tsari ba tukun.Amma idan na karba zan maka PM sai mu ga yadda za'a yi ka amshi naka rabon,amma da sharadi:-za ka dangwala wa IBB kuri'ar ka.

There's no doubt that the annulment of the presidential election of 1993,which was generally acclaimed to be free and fair, was a big political miscalculation IBB made.
Most Nigerians judge IBB's tenure only in the light of the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election. He has since acknowledged that mistake and accepted responsibility for it.That is the mark of a good leader.
But should that single mistake overshadow all the good things IBB did in eight years?

Regarding SAP,Nigeria needed a loan from the IMF to revamp the ailing economy which pre-empted the regime to adopt the inevitable structural adjustment programme(SAP) which was a basis set up by the IMF to qualify for the loan..The structural adjustment programme if you dont know is still running in Nigeria under the Obasanjo regime under a new name of poverty reduction programme or poverty alleviation program.TheWorld Bank is still forcing countries to adopt the same types of policies as SAP and you can name them:Boosting production and export of primary commodities to earn foreign exchange(cassava remember),devalueing their currencies against the dollar(from 88Naira to 130); lift import and export restrictions, privatisation(BPE), liberalisation and the efficiency of the free market(deregulation of the petroleum sector).I beleive you can see how more involved the IMF and world bank is in Nigeria's development.Deny them and you face what Argentina faced or what Abacha faced.So IBB had no choice than to adopt SAP.

Regarding the 'unaccounted gulf war oil windfall' i dont believe it is unaccounted for.Why hasn't the EFCC extended its arm of investigation to that area? IBB has been referring his critics to the central bank for clarification on the issue.I'l refer you to an interview he granted the saturday vanguard(sept-09-06) through his media assistant regarding the Pius Okigbo panel.: ' Prince Afegbua who described the report as ?cheap blackmail targeted at IBB, challenged everybody to cross-check facts of the oil windfall with the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Ministry of Finance, how much was realised from crude oil export or locally consumed within the period under review?.

According to him, ?the Gulf War was just fought for three months and per barrel of oil sold for $24. And if you look at the production capacity of NNPC at that period, (60% production capacity), you couldn?t have got $12. 4 billion by supplying oil outside the country for three months; with $24 per barrel, it was not possible.
?So what came into government coffers as income from the Gulf oil sales was just $2.6 billion. Somebody just added one figure just to blackmail IBB. It is cheap blackmail, it is unproductive, it smacks of lazy scholarship,? he said.

?The statistics are there, go to CBN, go to Ministry of Finance and find out rather than running to hasty conclusion. If you tell me that the income of a country over period of time, maybe two or three years adds up to that $12 billion, I will understand, but not within the three months.

?We are not the only oil producer in the world. It is not possible also for somebody at that period with the exchange rate of just N8 to a dollar in 1990. So how do you come up with that kind of statistics? It is bogus. And don?t forget, this period was the period that this Abuja actually took off. The Abuja you are enjoying today, all the facilities, good roads, water supply, beautiful barracks, federal secretariat, NICON Hilton, all the nice things about this Abuja took off in 1990.'

We have a right to criticise IBB's regime of course, but i still maintain that his regime did better in terms of development projects.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

That's true Goga. I now don't have much time but I'll clarify it when I came back soon Insha Allah.
Hold on!