News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Why isn't there tears shed for Jokolo???

Started by alhaji_aminu, June 13, 2005, 03:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alhaji_aminu

Assalamu Alaikum

It is now known to all that the Emir of Gwandu, Alhaji Al-Mustafa Haruna Jakolo was de-emiri(fied) from his exalted throne as the 2nd most powerful -that is if you believe the Emirs have or indeed deserve to have any power- ruler in the Sokoto Sultanate. Sad.

But the question that comes to mind is, does he deserve to be dethroned and if so for what reasons? The responsible government of Alhaji Adamu Aliero (not considering the recent arrest of a single commissioner accused to diverting some 3 billion naira. See one of the may editions of Weekly Trust) has told those who cared to listen (and I am not one of those) that, Maj. Jakolo (rtd) is booted off his pedestal beacuse:

1) He was making irresponsible and reckless statements capable of undermining the security of the country ( as if that isn't what OPC and MASSOB people do for a living and
2)He has abandoned his kingdom for the cosmopolitan city of Kaduna ( an A.W.O.L Emir) and finally that;
3)He is not courteous to his brother Emirs in the Emirate council (talk about the bully taking a pill of his own medicine. I mean, isn't this what there subjects think of them?).

Now, I am not very conversant with the law as it relates to dethroning an Emir. But what is clear is that an Emir, as a bona fide citizen of Nigeria, is  innocent until proven guilty of all charges which only a competent court of law can establish. This has not been done.
2ndly, because Jakolo is a civil servant, by virtue of his been paid by the state in consideration of his many duties that work towards the adminstering his kingdom as part of the state, Emir Jakolo is ,therefore, entitled to a fair hearing, as is the case with many civil servants who are about to be fired, before he is fired. This, too, had not been done.

In short, Jakolo's dethronment was not effected in the way the law of common sense and that of Nigeria requires.

I think what all this shows us, and from what the governor has said about his not been comfortable with the way the Emir treats him, is that Jakolo was most probably not booted because of those charges but because: He had been rude to the Emperor Obasanjo ( by been too outspoken) in one of the JNI/NSCIA meetings....and..... He is not playing ball with the executive governor. Allah gafarta gwamna kenan.

It is not for me to say why people are not enraged and disgusted by the dethronment. But I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest Jakolo is a victim of some sad egotistical game of Olu Obasanjo.

I will not cry for Jakolo for two main reasons. One because he is not my Emir and two because he simply cannot keep his mouth shut. I will end by asking:  
So, what, in your own view, do you think is responsible for people keeping shut about this sad development?

Bissalam

Nuruddeen

This is really unfortunate. I thought  the emirs would show solidary for him but to my greatest surprise they keep mute. Some of his counterparts in the sultanate were even making a reckless statement about him. They have forgotten that it may one day be their turn because of the way Obasanjo and his henchmen are bastardising that Instituition( Traditional). Had it been they showed their anger on jokolo's deth. they could have been feared by any government (not to joke with that noble traditional institution). But likeI often  said to my friends, the traditional rulers have now  turned into beggars and subservient to the governments. Allah ya kyauta.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

analyst

Salam,

Hm, Myadudu, this thing is really something that people suppose to say something about it, especially those that love truth. I didnt see reason that makes Adamu Aleiro to dethroned him. Let me tell you, it is only political reason. OBJ used Aleiro as a tool, and he got him, so we Arewa people will never ever forget this. Allah ya Isa. And we dont know any Emir of Gwandu except, HRH MUSTAPHA HARUNA JAKOLO. Allah waddan Naka ya lalace. :(
The greatest weapon is truth"

mlbash

whatever their reason/s is/are we know that the dethroned emir was the one that stood most for the islam and hausa/fulani's as far as we are concern. so the fact that he can not keep his mouth shut, is not contrary to the teachings of islam. at least he belongs to the middle 'iman class'.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

neozizo

i dont know about majority or generality of people but my reason for really being indifferent about the dethronement is simply that most (if not all) of our (traditional) leaders in nigeria particularly the northern part have not lived up to their roles of being good leaders who have our welfare as their priorities and they mostly displaya non-challant attitudes toward protecting our religion, tradition and other rights.
so i beleive it only fair for me to repay this attitude :cry:

gogannaka

Well to be honest,the Emir couldnt control his mouth whenever he spoke.
Honestly as an emir he shouldnt have talked the way he talked when he was on the throne.As an emir he was supposed to be diplomatic in his public utterances.
Obasanjo, in my own opinion had to dethrone him because the emir made frequent comments that would disunite' Nigerians and the Nigerian state.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment