News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

THE EFFECT OF MECHANICAL STRTCHING ON COLLAGEN AND GAGs' SYNTHESES!!!

Started by Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu, October 06, 2008, 09:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF MECHANICAL STRETCHING ON COLLAGEN AND
              GLYCOZAMINOGLYCAN SYNTHESES IN THE CONNECTIVE TISSUE.

KOT, Y.G* and EL-TA'ALU, A. B**

*Department of Biochemistry; **Department of Human Physiolology,
V. N. Karazin Kharkov National University, Svavody Square ¹ 4, Kharkov - 61077, Ukraine.

A Paper presented in the III International Students' and Post - graduates' Scientific Comference, "The Young and Advancement", Biology. 23-27th April, 2007. Ukraine: Ivan Frank L'viv National University. اآإذحبت زإا, Pp. 68-69.

ABSTRACT

The study was in vitro carried out using the skin of 3-months old male Wistar rats. Skin samples were incubated for six hours, at 37 oC in Ringer-Kreb's solution. In this process, static mechanical stretching (load) of (0-3.3) x 105 N/m2 was applied to the samples.
   After incubation, samples were treated with liquid nitrogen, cut into pieces and type I collagen in them was extracted using 1M solution of Nacl. The obtained extract, after filtering, was passed through Sephadex G-25.
   Intensity of collagen synthesis in samples was determined by the relative radioactivity of 3H- hydroxyproline, and its content by the concentration of hydroxyproline.Tunicamicin was added to inhibit the glycolysation of freshly synthesized collagen.
   Glycozaminoglycans (GAGs) were isolated using ethanol, after enzymatic treatment of samples with papain and collagenase I. Obtained GAGs were afterwards fractionated by a modification of the method Schiller et al (1961), by ion-exchange chromatography on Dowex 1 x 2 - 400, using 0.5 - 2M solutions of Nacl.
   It was found out that, together with induction of collagen synthesis, mechanical stretching leads to significant accumulation of hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulphate, that of chondroitin-6-sulphate, on the other hand, was insignificant.
   It was therefore, established that, the mode of accumulation of type I collagen and isolated GAGs, in response to the same signal, is different: maximum increases in concentration of GAGs was observed with less amount of mechanical stretching. On the other hand, maximum intensity of collagen synthesis was observed.

CONTACT THE CO-AUTHOR, abbassido@eltaalu.8m.net, FOR MORE INFORMATION.
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".