News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Food for the Diabetics!

Started by Jibo, October 07, 2008, 10:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibo

Is cocoyam suitable for a diabetic peson? Please I need to know the content of the food item and many more! ??? ???
A lazy youth is definitely a begging adult! Bata hankalin Dare ka yi suna!: Fas'alu ahalil zikri, inkuntum la ta'alamun!

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

There is an inadequate evidence that eating cocoyam (which  infact has glycemic index) is clinically helpful despite recommendations and suggested diets emphacizing this approach.  I, therefore, advice you to receive regular consultation from your physician (e.g., at least every three to six months), who can provide multidisciplinary expertise. Nevertheless, I was able to find, for your information, the following:
        Based on a pound serving (1 pound = 453.59237 grams), cocoyam contains about 1530 calories, 75.5% carbohydrates, 5.1% proteins, 1.6% fat, 9.8% dietary fibres, and 1.2% water. The minerals in cocoyam  are:  Calcium (160.0), Phosphorus (330.0), Magnesium (320.0), Sodium (34.0), Potassium (3280.0), Sulphur (54.0), Zinc (47.0), Manganese (1.4) Mg/Kg. Potassium is the major mineral in cocoyam, while Sodium tends to be low. The high Potassium to Sodium ratio (K:Na) may be an additional benefit in the diet of patients with 'High Blood Pressure'. However, high Potassium foods should be omitted in diet of people with renal failure.

REFERENCES:

•   Enomfon, J. A and I. B Umoh, 2004, Effects of heat and tetracycline treatment on food quality and acidity factors in cocoyam [Xanthosema sadittifolium (I)]  (FAO), 1994, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome. In: Njoku, P. C and Ohia, C.C, 2007. Spectrophotometric Estimation studies of Mineral Nutrients in Three Cocoyam Cultivators.  Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 6(6):616-619, 2007 ISSN 1680-5 194.
•   Jirarat, T; Sukruedee, A and Pasawadee, D, 2006. Chemical and Physical properties of flour extracted from Taro, Coleasia escukenta (L). Sci. Asia. 32:279-284. In: Njoku, P. C and Ohia, C.C, 2007. Spectrophotometric Estimation studies of Mineral Nutrients in Three Cocoyam Cultivators.  Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 6(6):616-619, 2007 ISSN 1680-5 194.

"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

Jibo

Thanks for your response Bubakar! How is your side. I hope things aren't as difficult as they might seem to us here!Beign a Nigerian, what food, simple and local,  is recommended for diabetic patient, at least three times, a day: 3/7? The food that will provide adequate balance diet for a debiatic patient is required for a local man in Nigeria and considering the economic side of accessibility!
A lazy youth is definitely a begging adult! Bata hankalin Dare ka yi suna!: Fas'alu ahalil zikri, inkuntum la ta'alamun!

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Mallam Jibirin, there're individual approaches (depending on what type of diabetes) to managing diabetics. I, therefore, insist in you to contact your Doctor, he is the one that knows the history of the problem you have, and thus will actually help more than any other person !!! Good luck, and bye-bye!!!
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".