News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MAN UTD OFFICIAL NEWS>

Started by kariballa, October 05, 2003, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce faces a race against time to seal a move for unsettled Manchester United midfielder Nicky Butt after holding talks with the player over a move to St Andrews.
Bruce is keen to bolster his squad and is trying to capture Butt before the close of the transfer window next Monday in a possible ?5.5million deal.

Butt is looking to leave Old Trafford after asking for a move away earlier this month.

The England international has been frustrated at his lack of first team action this season and is keen to be playing to secure his place in England's Euro 2004 plans.

Bruce is a big fan of Butt having played him during his time at Manchester United, and he is waiting to see if the tigerish midfielder is eager for a move to St Andrews.

"I have spoken with Nicky and am awaiting a decision from him," said Bruce.

"If Birmingham City could land a player of his quality, it will be a massive fillip. We will see what happens between now and the transfer window closing."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United is delighted to announce that the club has agreed terms with Ruud van Nistelrooy on a new extended contract.

The deal will see Ruud stay at the club until 30th June 2008.

Sir Alex Ferguson said, “We are delighted to get Ruud’s signature on a new contract. It shows the ambition of the club to keep the best. Ruud has broken every record since he has been here.

"His improvement and continual commitment to the club is an asset. Ruud has proved to be a fantastic signing and his contract extension is great news for the club and the fans.”

Ruud van Nistelrooy said, “I am delighted to commit my future to the club. I have grown very fond of Manchester United, the fans are amazing.

"I have had some great moments here but I want to continue to give the club my best, and I am looking forward to new challenges on the pitch.”
David Gill, Chief Executive of Manchester United PLC, said, “This is great news for the club and the fans. Ruud has been outstanding, he is an integral part of Manchester United and the success we have achieved on the pitch.”

Manchester United PLC
29 January, 2004
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Ruud van Nistelrooy Factfile
Born: Oss, Holland
Signed: (From PSV) 1 July 2001
United Debut: 12 August 2001
(vs. Liverpool, Charity Shield
Season 03/04: 26 apps 18 gls
Season 02/03: 52 apps 44 gls
Season 01/02: 48 apps 35 gls
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United's Chinese capture Dong Fangzhuo has arrived in England following his move from Dalian Shide.
The Asian attacker flew in to the UK but is ineligible to represent the Premiership champions because he will not be able to obtain a work permit.

There had been speculation that the forward would be loaned to Royal Antwerp, but the Belgian side have already raided Old Trafford for Eddie Johnson and Phil Bardsley this week.

Meanwhile, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been pencilled in for a reappearance in the reserve team game with Aston Villa next week.

"Ole is doing fine," Sir Alex Ferguson told The Manchester Evening News.

"But I don't want to build him up for playing again after so long out and then find the pitch is too hard or risk his return.

"He will get a game when we play Aston Villa at home. He will definitely be okay by then."

Meanwhile, United have farmed Paul Tierney out to Colchester United on loan.
The full back had a temporary spell with Crewe Alexandra last term.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Richard Jolly reports

Manchester United ended a traumatic week with a dramatic win as two strikers who have committed their future to Old Trafford combined to defeat Southampton.

Louis Saha, making his debut after a ?12 million transfer, scored their first and after Paul Scholes doubled their tally, Ruud van Nistelrooy, who has joined Sir Alex Ferguson in signing a new contract, netted the winner.

United's transfer dealings may be under scrutiny, but their most recent signing provided immediate vindication of their manager. Aspects of Tim Howard's move have been debated, too, but the American keeper was outstanding to deny a wholehearted Southampton side a draw after a stirring comeback.

Because United's new ?30 million strikeforce shared the spotlight with another striker, though Kevin Phillips' involvement in three goals will bring him mixed feelings. The ?3 million forward deflected Saha's strike in but responded with decisive contributions in Saints' two goals.

It wasn't in Saha's script after a dream start to his Old Trafford career. The first repayment of his ?12 million transfer fee came on 18 minutes from a contentious free kick. Rory Delap was harshly penalised as Cristiano Ronaldo went to ground. Saha's fourth goal in his last three games against Southampton, however, owed much to the instinctive and inadvertant finish from Phillips, heading it past the wrongfooted Antti Niemi.  

It was far from the influential Saha's only contribution. Playing off van Nistelrooy, Saha darted around intelligently. A blossoming partnership brought fruit when Van Nistelrooy set up Saha for a 20-yard shot which bobbled in front of Niemi. Scholes was first to the rebound and supplied the finish.

Two-nil up against a depleted Southampton side, United could have been forgiven for relaxing. Phillips, however, stirred them back to life. One 30-yard shot took a touch off the unwitting Brett Ormerod to beat Howard. A second, smoother strike, seven minutes after the interval, brought Saints level.

But for a fine Howard save from the profligate Ormerod, the visitors would have taken the lead. Instead, on the hour, the Old Trafford crowd, vociferous in their support of their under-pressure manager, had another goal to cheer.

They were aggrieved when Fabrice Fernandes handled a Cristiano Ronaldo free kick but will feel justice was done as their penalty taker duly grabbed his 99th United goal anyway. Saints failed to clear the second free kick and van Nistelrooy, despite earlier suspicions of offside, finished courtesy of the third significant deflection of the match, from Jason Dodd.

The scoring was finished, but the drama was not. Southampton had their own call for a penalty when Fernandes' shot hit Scholes' hand but, more than referee Graham Barber, the United keeper was the major reason they left Old Trafford with nothing to show for their considerable efforts.

Howard's heroics were necessary with Wes Brown's long absence evident in a shaky display and Mikael Silvestre below par. He had blocked at full stretch from Rory Delap in the opening minutes and was relieved to see an audacious chip from Jason Dodd drop inches wide.

As Southampton pressed in the final half-hour, he denied the sharp Phillips and Anders Svensson. James Beattie, summoned from the bench, delivered an inviting cross that Howard's attentions stopped Phillips converting and finally, brilliantly, United's American idol touched Danny Higginbotham's overhead kick on to the bar.

Not that it was all one-way traffic. Van Nistelrooy had a second strong claim for a penalty rejected, Scholes came close from a perceptive pass and Brown contrived to miss an open goal.

Southampton, refreshingly fearless against the champions, probably merited a point but Manchester United lead the Premiership again and van Nistelrooy is scoring again. After an eventful week, normal service has been resumed.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Southampton manager Gordon Strachan branded Manchester United's winner "a farce" as he blamed referee Graham Barber.

Strachan insisted Ruud van Nistelrooy was offside when the ball was played in for his 99th United strike to seal a 3-2 victory.

"It was a farce," Strachan told Sky Sports News."He [van Nistelrooy] was interfering with play. As soon as the ball was touched he was going towards the ball. He was there to try to get one up on us.

"You might as well scrap offside now if you are not going to rule that offside."

Strachan was critical of Barber, adding: "I saw him laughing and joking before the match, making a celebrity of himself.

"Is he going to explain the decision? Will he come out and tell me about the handballs we should have got?

"Refs tell me they don't like being celebrities but we see them all on the telly all time. What about the handballs? And the van Nistelrooy goal? When the ball came in there were four people in there to cause havoc. It was a farce."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson believed referee Graham Barber was right to let Ruud van Nistelrooy's winner against Southampton stand.

The striker had been offside in the build-up before scoring his 99th United goal, but Ferguson felt it was a legitimate strike.

"I haven't seen it again but this first-phase rule is confusing. When you lose a goal like this you say it's offside. We had one this season," he said. "Unfortunately some people don't accept the new rules.

"As long as a player does not get an advantage immediately he is not offside. Ruud is a clever player, he takes up very good positions. It's hard to pin him down."

Ferguson did praise Southampton, admitting: "It became very exciting in the second half and that was down to Southampton.

"Their front two [Brett Ormerod and Kevin Phillips] were terrific. They were a handful and at the end we were happy with the points."

Ferguson was pleased with his own strikers after Louis Saha scored on his debut and van Nistelrooy netted the winner.

"Saha did very well," he added. "I was very pleased. I took him off because he wasn't used to the pace of the game.

"There is something to work on with van Nistelrooy. There was good penetration. The most important thing is that we do not want Ruud to carry the attacking burden. If they can both contribute as they did today we will be all right."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

"It's simple, Sir Alex is the most influential figure at Old Trafford. He is the root of what the fans want; success on the field, and also the reason the money men are so interested in United shares - success on the field leads to the growth of the club as a business. None of that would be as it is without Ferguson. It's important for both the supporters and the money men to remember that. Hail to the Chief!"
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Paul Scholes has welcomed Louis Saha's introduction to the Manchester United side as it enables the England international to revert to his familiar midfield role.
The Old Trafford favourite knows his place in Sven Goran Eriksson's midfield is under threat from the dazzling form of Chelsea's Frank Lampard with the Euro 2004 finals on the horizon.

Although making a successful return from injury, Scholes always looks more at home in a deeper role than when he is deployed as an auxiliary striker behind Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The experiment was one used by Sir Alex Ferguson a couple of years ago and Scholes admitted at the time he was simply not suited to the role. However, Ferguson again shifted the popular 29-year-old into a more advanced position prior to Saha's arrival.

"I've not really had a position this season," he told Sky Sports News, when collecting a Player of the Month prize.

"I've been in midfield and up front.

"Wherever the manager wants me to play, I'll give it my best shot.

"Of course (Louis's arrival will help), he is an out and out striker and so quick and strong and capable of scoring goals.

"I had a spell out, six or seven weeks, and it's nice to come back and win an award.

"I've come back fresh and ready for the games. I'm not a good watcher. I don't think many players are.

"I always want to be out there playing."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Cristiano Ronaldo is hoping to cap his first season in England with a Premiership and Champions League medal, as well as a place in Portugal's Euro 2004 squad.
The Portuguese prot?g? has just turned 19 and now looks to be coming to terms with English football after struggling in the first few months following his move from Sporting Lisbon last summer.

"I feel more of an adult now, I feel like this is the happiest I have ever been," Ronaldo told Portuguese daily Record.

"I want to be happy and be in good health - professionally I have several desires.

"For Portugal I want to be present at Euro 2004, and in Manchester I dream that I will be English champion and will also take the Champions League.

"These are my main desires at the moment. It will not be easy to conquer these, but I will give my everything to make sure this happens."

Ronaldo's transfer from Sporting has been mentioned as one which may be investigated over payments to agents.

However, the young forward refuses to even think about any off the field problems.

"I am not going to worry about that," he said.

"A lot of things have been spoken about that, but that is not something that concerns me.

"My role is to play soccer and help the team."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Norway coach Age Hareide has discussed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's injury situation with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, regarding a potential international recall.
Solskjaer has not played for the Premiership champions since September after undergoing a knee operation.

The experienced attacker featured for United's reserves last week and is closing in on a first-team comeback.

Hareide met Ferguson on Monday as part of a whistle stop tour of Premiership clubs to assess the Norwegian contingent in England.

He admits his talks with Ferguson proved beneficial as he waits to welcome Solskjaer in to his Norway squad.

"It was to check out Ole Gunnar's injury situation and I also gave Ferguson our fixture list for the coming year," Hareide told NTB.

"It's important to make contact."

During his brief stay in England, Hareide is due to meet new Blackburn signing Martin Andresen and Rovers chief Graeme Souness on Tuesday, before watching Leeds against Wolves.

On Wednesday, Hareide and his assistant Stig Inge Bjornebye will separately take in Liverpool against Manchester City, and Blackburn against Newcastle.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Real Betis star Joaquin has slammed fresh reports linking him with Manchester United and insists he has not spoken to the English media about a possible switch to the Premiership champions.
The Spanish international, who has long been mooted as a United target, was quoted as saying in the News of the World that he dreamed of supplying the ammunition for Ruud van Nistelrooy at Old Trafford.

The 22-year-old penned a fresh deal at Betis in October tying him to the Seville-based outfit until 2010 - although it is an initial five-year contract running until 2008 -  making him the best-paid player in the club's history.

However, that has not stopped the United rumours persisting, while within Spain, Real Madrid continue to be regarded as his long-term destination.

Joaquin believes, though, that the latest round of speculation concerning a transfer to United has been fuelled by Jose Antonio Reyes' recent switch from Sevilla to Arsenal.

"These rumours are down to the Reyes effect. Us Seville-born players are very popular in England," joked the right-sided midfielder.

"I have an extended contract until at least 2008 and it all depends completely on my club.

"At the moment I am only thinking about doing my best for Betis and going with Spain to Euro 2004 in Portugal.

"I have had no offer from United and nobody from the club has spoken to me.

"This has already come out several months ago."

Despite the player's denial there seems little doubt that United have been monitoring the highly-rated Spaniard, and he would be the ideal replacement for David Beckham who The Red Devils have struggled to replace since his summer switch to Real Madrid.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

AaB's Danish keeper Kenneth Stenild is hopeful of winning a move to either Arsenal or Manchester United in the summer, after impressing in recent trial spells in England.
The 16-year-old has earned rave reviews throughout his fledgling career with the Danish side, prompting clubs from all over Europe to sit up and take note.

At least eight Premiership teams expressed interest in having a look at the club, but AaB opted to accede to requests from Arsenal and Manchester United.

Stenild has had trial spells at both Highbury and Old Trafford, receiving positive feedback from both clubs.

"The training facilities at the London club are impressive," he told BT. "But that is also the case at Manchester United, who I also have visited twice.

"I am under contract with AaB until 2006. But should either Arsenal or Manchester United offer me an apprentice contract, I am ready to move from home."

The teenager could well land contract offers from the Premiership giants, but the acid test will come in the summer.

He added: "The leaders at both Arsenal and Manchester United said they were very pleased with my displays over there and they want to see me in action for the Denmark Under-17 side in Turkey and the European Championship in Germany in two months.

"My parents would undoubtedly miss me, but I have the stamina to be a professional abroad.

"Football has been everything since I started at AaB," Stenild, who has been compared to Red Devils legend Peter Schmeichel, commented.

If he does move to England, the keeper will look to find some home comforts.

"So as not to feel lonely in the first couple of years, I would look for a host family," he concluded
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Roy Keane thinks Manchester United are not defending adequately enough.
The Red Devils managed to scrape victories over Southampton and Everton but the Irishman has warned that 'better' teams will punish the champions.

Wes Brown is still somewhat rusty after being out since the last game of the 2002-2003 season and Mikael Silvestre, who looked imperious alongside Rio Ferdinand, seems out of form.

So how much are United missing Ferdinand, their ?30 million capture from Leeds United.

The England international has certainly had his critics since arriving at Old Trafford but there can be no doubting the value of his performances this season.

With his head presumably in a whirl following the Football Association action over his missed drugs test, the former West Ham man was still a model of consistency at the back.

However, now the lengthy ban has kicked in, despite the player's appeal against the punishment, United look to be missing a key ingredient of what was the strongest defence in The Premiership.

So do the statistics back up the belief that Sir Alex Ferguson's team are much better with Ferdinand?

Opta analysed the facts and found that United concede far more goals without the England centre back.

A quick glance at the table below also shows that United are 10 percent more likely to win with Rio in their side and 10 percent more likely to lose without him.

Evidence that proves the Manchester outfit are going to miss the towering presence of the 25-year-old.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

PSV Eindhoven starlet Arjen Robben is not happy that his transfer to Manchester United is no closer to being completed, but he is still hopeful a deal can be done.
His father and agent Hans confirmed earlier on Tuesday that the move had stalled, with the two clubs unable to agree a fee for the Dutch international.

The Dutch champions are believed to be looking for a fee close to ?15 million for their young forward, but United are only thought to have offered somewhere between ?7 and ?10 million.

Robben is still hopeful his dream move will be completed, saying: "It could be I stay here.

"But in the world of football everything is possible and it could happen very quickly.

"What today is coming to end, can go through tomorrow.

"It can still go in any direction. But at the moment PSV and Manchester United haven't agreed anything.

"Of course I don't like that the deal hasn't been completed and I could jump up and down, but that will not help.

"I haven't got anything in my own hands. The clubs have to agree first, then I come back in the picture.

"It would be fantastic if I could play for Manchester, but at the moment I just have to wait.

"For now I have to focus on the football."

Robben travelled to United's training complex last month and it seemed a move was imminent, but PSV's demands could stop the deal in its tracks.

PSV president Harry van Raaij admits that he can understand Robben's disappointment.

"Of course Arjen will be disappointed," said van Raaij.

"He had already visited Manchester United and I had agreed a deal in principle with Peter Kenyon for him to join them in the summer.

"What I don't understand is the reason why their approach changed so much because when the offer came in it was about half of what we had spoken about.

"Given the difference between the two offers I do not see any way Arjen will join them in time for next season.

"Everything changed, I read in the newspapers that there are some problems at the club.

"Maybe that was part of it or maybe it's because Peter Kenyon left and David Gill came in, but I don't know for sure.

"I have dealt with Manchester United over the transfers of Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy but the way they have handled this is very different to the way they have done it in the past.

"At least there is no question mark over Arjen's talent and I'm sure other great clubs will be in for him as well."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.