News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MAN UTD OFFICIAL NEWS>

Started by kariballa, October 05, 2003, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Wolves produced the biggest shock of the Premiership season as Kenny Miller's second half goal vanquished Manchester United.

The Scotland international poached his first Premiership goal to sink The Red Devils midway through the second half and, in the process, lift Wolves off the foot of the table.

The hosts started vigorously and refused to allow the champions to settle, with Paul Ince and Alex Rae leading the fight with a string of bone-crunching tackles.

United slowly asserted and controlled possession for the first half but could not take advantage of the vast expanses of space they found on the right flank.

For Wolves, Ince and Rae were both off target with long-range shots while Ruud van Nistelrooy lofted the ball over his head and crossbar after collecting John O'Shea's cross.

Midway through the first half, Darren Fletcher's deep cross picked out Paul Scholes at the far post but the England international could only head wide when unmarked.

After surviving a cast-iron penalty shout against Newcastle last week, The Red Devils were cursing this Saturday after Wolves keeper Michael Oakes appeared to bundle over Fletcher in his despairing efforts to grasp the ball. Referee Andy D'Urso was not impressed by the visitors' appeals for a spot kick.

The league leaders continued to press in search of an opening goal but were repeatedly frustrated by a stubborn Wolves back-line, although the home side offered little as an attacking force with Steffen Iversen devoid of support.

In the closing five minutes of the half, Wolves overcame a brace of scares to ensure they went in at the interval with their clean sheet intact.

Firstly, O'Shea's flat ball in to the box wriggled its way through to Cristiano Ronaldo but the Portuguese starlet's shot was deflected wide by Jody Craddock.

From the resulting corner, Ronaldo whipped the ball fiercely in to the six-yard box but van Nistelrooy miraculously headed over in front of goal after seemingly being caught by surprise.

Wolves lived dangerously immediately after the restart when Denis Irwin's weak header almost allowed van Nistelrooy to steal in but the Dutchman was quickly closed down by Oakes.

Despite being penned back for the bulk of the time, Wolves came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock when former United midfielder Ince struck the woodwork with a beautifully curled shot from 25 yards.

Rio Ferdinand's farewell appearance before his suspension ended in disappointment as he was substituted five minutes in to the second half after failing to recover from a knock sustained early in the opening period.

United's best move of the match on 57 minutes provided Scholes with a sight on goal but his fizzing shot was pushed away by Oakes after O'Shea and van Nistelrooy had combined swiftly to create the opening.

Midway through the second half, Wolves grabbed a shock lead after Miller took advantage of Wes Brown's slip to race in on goal and slip the ball beyond Tim Howard, although the United States international will feel he should have kept out the Scot's shot.

Wolves were indebted to the heroics of Oakes on 75 minutes when Scholes' pass squirmed through to David Bellion but the United substitute was denied by a magnificent save.

Oakes needed safe hands minutes later to clasp Diego Forlan's low shot as a trio of United players were ready to pounce if the keeper made a mistake.

The host soaked up incessant pressure from the visitors with Oakes palming away a van Nistelrooy drive as Wolves clung on for a famous victory
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

Anonymous

David Beckham believes Real Madrid should swoop for former Manchester United team mate Nicky Butt.
The England skipper has backed Butt to hold down a spot in Real's star-studded line-up, and feels United are wrong to let the midfielder leave Old Trafford.

"Nicky Butt is a great player and he's been a great servant to Manchester United," stated Beckham.

"He's a player that can play at the highest level. I haven't spoken to anyone about it but if he comes to Spain of course he'd fit in.

"He would strengthen any midfield in the world.

"I personally think United are wrong to let him go because he's a home-grown talent and that's hard to come by.

"I'm sure anyone in Nicky's position would like first-team football and to play all the time because he's a fantastic player. But it's up to him to make that decision.

"I'm sure he would make the Real first team. I'm sure he'd get a chance in any team."

Beckham's praise for Butt was echoed by Real boss, and former United number two, Carlos Queiroz.

The Portuguese coach confessed his strong admiration for the 29-year-old, but refused to speculate on a possible move for the player by Los Merengues.

"Butt is a great player, a very nice guy and I like him very much. He's a wonderful professional."

Meanwhile, Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson has ruled out making a bid for Butt - despite also being a huge fan of the midfielder - insisting his arrival would inevitably spell the end at St James' Park for frustrated Hugo Viana.

Robson believes the Portuguese starlet has a big future with The Magpies, but accepts that the arrival of yet another midfielder would probably drive him away from the club. "I've always liked Butt but is he coming here? No," declared the veteran tactician.

"He does not come into my thinking because we have got Hugo, and if I brought in another midfield player I'd have to put him on the train!

"Butt is a players' player, and in other circumstances I would not hesitate in making a move.

"But Hugo Viana is the future and the decision not to move for Butt is an affirmation of what we feel about him.

"We can overload ourselves with midfield players. We have Lee Bowyer coming back, we have Jermaine Jenas and Kieron Dyer, who can slot in anywhere, and we have Gary Speed who is good for at least another year."

kariballa

Manchester United will face an FA investigation into the transfer of Brazilian midfielder Kleberson - according to an English Sunday newspaper.
The News of the World report that United will be questioned by the FA about quotes accredited to the president of Kleberson's former club Atletico Paranaense, Mario Celso Petraglia.

"I am very disturbed," Petraglia told the News of the World. "[Then chief executive at Old Trafford] Peter Kenyon called me and said he wanted to buy Kleberson.

"He told me that I should negotiate with two agents selected by Manchester United.

"One of them was Jorge Gama. I can't remember the other but his name is definitely in the document for the club."

Manchester United's director of communications Paddy Harveson has already insisted that this is not the case.

"At no point whatsoever did we insist the deal be done through two agents," Harveson told the same newspaper.

"It is absolutely not correct."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United have confirmed they have reached an agreement in principle with Fulham for the transfer of French striker Louis Saha.
The deal, which is subject to a number of conditions by The Cottagers, is expected to be concluded next week, with the hit-man set to make his Red Devils debut against Southampton.

Saha is cup-tied, having featured against Cheltenham Town in the third round of the FA Cup, and will be unavailable for selection against Northampton  in fourth round, but should be available for Sir Alex Ferguson for the visit of The Saints on January 31.

United's goal-scoring problems have been high-lighted in recent weeks, after the side failed to score in their recent home clash against Newcastle United and defeat to Wolves on Saturday.

"Manchester United can confirm that they have reached agreement in principle with Fulham Football Club for the transfer of registration of Louis Saha, but this is subject to a number of conditions," United said in a statement.

"Manchester United expects these conditions to be resolved within the next week and will make a further announcement on completion."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson spoke to Sky Sports after watching his side defeated by Wolves at Molineux on Saturday. This is what the boss had to say...

Not Taking Chances
”I think we controlled the match. Particularly in the first half, we played some excellent football. I think the criticism I would have is that we were wasteful with our chances. The amount of really good positions we got into, and we didn’t finish them off. But that’s the nature of football. Goals change games, and once Wolves got the goal, they were very difficult to peg back.”

Wolves Up For The Fight
”You expect Wolves to be up for these games. Don’t forget, this is a team that is fighting for it’s life in the Premier Division. Their whole history is about football in the top division. They’ve languished for a few years, certainly. But, now Wolves are back in the Premiership, they showed today they are determined to stay in it.”

Poor Performance?
”I don’t think it was a poor performance, not at all. I think we played some excellent football. I just think we got frustrated after Wolves scored. That’s a natural reaction in any game of football. In the main, I’m not disappointed with the performance, I’m frustrated we didn’t take our chances.

Lacking strike-power
”The games where we have dropped points this season are games where we haven’t scored. It’s unusual that. But we’re looking into that.”

Saha Saga
"There is nothing more to report at the moment. What happens in games of football doesn't determine any urgency in what we are trying to do. But, we've had some plans in place for a while."

Fletcher Deserved A Penalty
”I’d need to see the replay. Every has told me it was a penalty kick. Andy D’Urso is an inexperienced referee and he probably sided with the home side a little bit there. I’d have to see the incident again though.”

Rio injury
”He got a bad shin knock in the first half. It was up like an egg at half time. He struggled in the second half. Once he’d cooled down at half time he found it difficult. That’s why we brought on Wes Brown. Unfortunately, Wes was only on a few minutes and he slipped to allow the boy in to score. It was a bad moment for the lad because he deserves a break.”

Rio Hearing
”I’d imagine the hearing will be very soon; within the next week to ten days, I would think. In which case, we’re ready for that.”

Title race
”We’ve always reacted well to disappointing defeats and that’s what we expect to do again.”

Report by Ben Hibbs.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson has attempted to dispel the belief that he hurls tea-cups around dressing rooms and enters into fits of rage when he is upset with how his team performs.
The Manchester United boss also controversially claims the current team, beaten at relegation-haunted Wolves on Saturday, is better, talent-wise, than the Treble-winning side of 1999 and the much-heralded 1994 squad that lifted The Double.

In an exclusive interview with The Herald, the Scot admitted he is now calmer when dealing with his players, but confessed he can still be angry when he needs to be, which would probably have been the case at Molineux.

"What has changed is that, as you get older, you are able to control the anger," he stated.

"But, if I want to be angry, I can still be angry.

"But all these stories about throwing cups and saucers in the dressing room are nonsense. I did it once and once only, with Aberdeen against Arges Pitesti. But I hit the tea urn and bloody nearly broke my hand!

"I know people have dined out on the myth, but these things grow wings.

"I read an article recently when someone said that, at East Stirling, I used to go behind the stand to practice fits of rage. I mean, come on!

"The important thing is to be true to yourself, true to your real friends, trust them as they trust you.

"When you have that small band of people about you, there is no need to worry about the rest of the world."

Ferguson will also stir up a debate over the teams he has built at Old Trafford during his hugely successful tenure.

The United chief is a great admirer of the character of the team in 1994, that won The Double, but is also understandably fond of his current charges.

"The 1994 United team could not only play, but had great mental strength," he added in The Herald.

"They were unlucky because, at the time, you could only play  three foreigners in Europe.

"The team of '99, ability-wise, was probably a little bit better than that one, but didn't have the mental power. So we keep using that as a reference point. The '99 team didn't like being told that, but that is what the challenge to them was.

"You should never be afraid of challenge.

"Ability-wise, the present team is probably a bit better than the '99 team."

Perhaps Ferguson, speaking before the Wolves reverse, is setting his current players the challenge of matching the mental attitude that served the 1994 side so well with large characters such as Steve Bruce, Peter Schmeichel and Mark Hughes coming to the fore.

Meanwhile, Racing tycoons John Magnier and JP McManus have again fuelled talk of a possible takeover at Old Trafford by increasing their stake in the club.

Their Cubic Expression company announced to the Stock Exchange that they had bought another 3,256,944 shares, which takes their holding over 66.5 million and above the 25 percent mark.

Takeover speculation has persisted since Cubic Expression began to increase their holding and with the pair now owning 25.49 per cent of the club, the rumours are sure to increase.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

The usual guessing game surrounding Sir Alex Ferguson's selection policy is continuing ahead of the FA Cup banana skin at Northampton Town in the FA Cup on Sunday.
The live Sky encounter pits Colin Calderwood's Cobblers, victors over First Division Rotherham United in the third round, against the Premiership champions.

It represents United's first real FA Cup away day at a lower division team since Hereford United back in 1990, the year Sir Alex Ferguson won his first major trophy as Old Trafford boss.

Rio Ferdinand is definitely out, and will obviously be missing for some time, allowing Wes Brown to bid to cement a regular place in central defence in his fellow England international's absence.

Transfer-seeking Nicky Butt is, as expected in the squad, with Phil Neville suspended.

United's A-list stars look set to sit out the tie, following a break in Dubai, so Ruud van Nistelrooy, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes should make way for the likes of Diego Forlan, Kleberson, Quinton Fortune and Cristiano Ronaldo.

?11.5 million signing Louis Saha is, of course, cup-tied after scoring Fulham's late winner against Cheltenham Town in the previous round at Loftus Road.

Northampton hope to pair Derek Asamoah in attack with the experienced Martin Smith, and former Old Trafford youngster Ashley Westwood is desperate to prove his fitness ahead of the Sixfields clash.

Calderwood is definitely without Paul Trollope, Josh Low and Richard Walker, whose loan spell from Blackpool has expired, as he plots one of the biggest cup shocks of all-time.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United have officially unveiled Louis Saha as their latest signing, in a ?12.825 million move from Fulham.
The French striker has signed for The Red Devils until the end of the 2008/2009 season.

Fulham receive ?11.5 million of the total expenditure and have already spent some of that revenue on Colombus Crew striker Brian McBride, as Chris Coleman prepares for life without his 15-goal top scorer.

"Louis is a young and exciting talent and has made incredible progress," stated Sir Alex Ferguson.

"We have got a young and gifted centre forward. His performances against Manchester United have showed us that.

"To have finally secured this deal is fantastic and is a great boost to the club."

Saha, who will wear the number nine shirt, had earlier admitted he was disappointed with the circumstances surrounding his exit.

"It's a dream come true," he beamed. "To leave a great atmosphere like Fulham has been difficult, but I am glad to be joining one of the best clubs in the world."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United have finally signed Louis Saha from Fulham, bringing an end to another meandering transfer saga.

Here, ManUtd.com runs the rule over the livewire Frenchman.

Saha factfile
Born: 8 August 1978, Paris, France
Position: Striker
Height: 6'0"
French U21: 1 cap 1 goal

Saha made his debut in English football for Newcastle in January 1999 while on loan from French side Metz. The striker bagged 2 goals in 11 starts for the Magpies, including a spectacular long range volley at Ewood Park which knocked Blackburn out of the FA Cup.

After his spell at St. James' Park elapsed, Saha returned to Metz. Either side of the loan he notched six goals from 22 starts, before signing for Fulham for ?2.1million on June 16 2000.

In his first season with the Cottagers, Saha scored 32 goals in all competitions and was voted Nationwide Player of the Year 2000 as Fulham gained promotion to the Premiership.

Saha announced his and Fulham's arrival in the Premiership in style at Old Trafford on the opening day of the 2001/02 season. The Frenchman scored twice as United laboured to a 3-2 win over the newcomers.

It proved something of a false dawn, however, as Saha managed only nine goals in all competitions that season, and seven goals in the 2002/03 campaign.

But the goals have finally started flowing this season for the striker, who already has 15 goals to his name and is pushing for a place in the French Euro 2004 squad.

Profile by Steve Bartram.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has finalised an agreement with Fulham for the transfer of Louis Saha.

The total consideration for this transfer is ?12.825m (?11.5 m payable to Fulham, ?0.575m levy payable to the FA Premier League and ?0.75m fees payable to agents).  

The total consideration is payable within seven days of completion and the player has signed a five-year, five-month contract with the Club.

Louis Saha said: “I am absolutely delighted, it’s a dream come true. I would like to thank my family and all the people who have helped me through this, I am just happy everything turned out. To leave a great atmosphere like Fulham has been difficult, but I am glad to be joining one of the best clubs in the world.”

"I am glad to be joining one of the best clubs in the world."
New signing Louis Saha
Sir Alex Ferguson said: “Louis is a young and exciting talent and has made incredible progress. We have got a young and gifted centre forward - his performances against Manchester United have showed us that. To have finally secured this deal is fantastic and a great boost to the club.”

David Gill, Chief Executive of Manchester United PLC, said: “This is a terrific signing for Manchester United and all our fans. Louis is a gifted player and will fit well into an already strong team.”

Saha fact file:
Born: 8th Aug 1978, Paris
Position: Centre forward
1994 – 1995, member of France under-17 side.
1997 - Scored the golden goal winner for France in the under-18 European Championship final against Portugal.
1997 - Made his first team debut for Metz against Bordeaux.
1999 - Joined Newcastle on loan.
2000 - Signed for Fulham.

Communications Department
23 January, 2004
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has stated that he understands why the club's fans are concerned about his contract situation.
Ferguson is yet to put pen-to-paper on his new deal, despite being in talks for four months.

The Red Devils chief is embroiled in a court case with Irish racing tycoon John Magnier - who along with partner JP McManus - now owns a quarter of the club.

Ferguson wants the situation resolving, but realises why there is concern about the situation.

"Of course I understand that supporters are concerned and quite rightly," said Ferguson.

"We'd like to put the situation to bed and sign the contract straight away.

"That's my perspective and the club's perspective.

"The publicity over the matter does us no good."

On the Magnier situation, he added: "I don't concern myself with those sort of things because there's no point in doing so."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United defender Gary Neville believes the club's newest recruit has the mental strength to survive at Old Trafford.

Louis Saha completed his acrimonious ?12.8million move from Fulham on Friday to provide much-needed striking support to prolific Dutchman Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Although Saha is not eligible for Sunday's FA Cup clash at Northampton, manager Sir Alex Ferguson thinks the pacy Frenchman will be vital in the pursuit of Premiership and Champions League glory.

The 15-goal forward has already been told he will fill the number nine shirt which has remained vacant since the departure of Andy Cole two seasons ago and, having played against him, Neville feels Saha will be a success.

"I think we have signed a top player," said the England defender.

"We've had first-hand experience of how good he is over the past four seasons.

"He always seems to cause us problems and everyone is delighted to have him here.

"We were probably a bit light in the forward department, so it's given us a boost in that sense and I don't think wearing the number nine shirt will bother him.

"If you play in any position at this club you need mental strength and I am sure he will have it.

"He has done well in the Premier League but now he is moving up to the next level and we want him to be part of our successful team."

Saha becomes the fourth most expensive player in United history - behind Rio Ferdinand, Juan Sebastian Veron and van Nistelrooy.

The former Metz player has signed a five-and-a-half year contract with the Red Devils, who, in an effort to avoid unwanted publicity further down the line, have revealed a ?750,000 payment to un-named agents involved in the deal.

Ferguson confirmed he is hoping to pair the new arrival with van Nistelrooy, scotching rumours that Saha would be used chiefly as a stand-in for the club's current top scorer.

It has also been made clear it is the last purchase United expect to make during the transfer window, dismissing out of hand suggestions they could be ready to launch a ?5million bid for Leeds youngster James Milner.

"We have focussed our attention on one player during the transfer window and I am delighted we have got him," said the United boss.

"He first came to our notice in an FA Cup tie three seasons ago and we stepped up our interest this year.

"Louis is very enthusiastic. He has good feet, is very quick, aggressive and good in the air. They are assets which are different to the ones we currently have and I feel over the next few years he will develop into an even better player."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Cameroon midfielder Eric Djemba-Djemba feels he has progressed significantly since his move to Manchester United.
The 22-year-old joined the Premiership champions from Nantes in a ?3.5 million deal last summer but has yet to establish himself as a first-team regular.

He has made 13 appearances for The Red Devils and is steadily improving under the experienced eye of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Djemba-Djemba is currently on African Cup of Nations duty with Cameroon and believes he has improved his game immensely since arriving at Old Trafford.

"I've been there for six months but it feels like I've been there for two years because it's taught me such a lot," said Djemba-Djemba.

"I had some weaknesses that I wanted to overcome and my coaches, both at club and particularly international level, have appreciated what I've done.

"But I'm not going to stop there. I want to keep going and win myself a first-team place over there."

Djemba-Djemba started Cameroon's first game of the African Cup of Nations - a 1-1 draw with Algeria - and the midfielder believes it was his form for his country that prompted his move to United.

He added: "I think it's the national team that has really opened doors for me.

"I've had quite a few good games with this team and I think that's what convinced the manager to recruit me."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United have confirmed they will conduct a thorough internal review of their recent transfer dealings, in the wake of a number of newspaper reports questioning several deals involving the Premiership champions.
Sunday newspaper stories accused United of improper dealings with agents in some of the high-profile transfers conducted over the past year or so with Cristiano Ronaldo, Tim Howard and Kleberson's arrivals all put under the microscope in the tabloid media.

The Old Trafford outfit issued a statement denying they have acted wrongly, stressing their policies are "among the most rigorous" in football.

With the unsettling row between the club's largest shareholders John Magnier and J.P. McManus and manager Sir Alex Ferguson continuing to simmer, United have formally announced they will be holding an internal review of their recent transfer business.

Ferguson is, of course, embroiled in a legal battle with Magnier over racehorse Rock of Gibraltar, and the latest statement to the Stock Exchange seems to confirm reports that Magnier threatened an independent audit of the dealings if the Scot was handed more than a one-year contract.

"Although the media have reported various allegations, Manchester United has received no documentary evidence from any party to support these allegations," said the statement.

"However, the board of Manchester United will conduct a thorough internal review of the recent transfer dealings."

The Red Devils also indicated that any changes in policy will be enforced from June 2004.

Ferguson, meanwhile, looks set to sign his new contract at Old Trafford this week, despite the frenzied media coverage of his legal spat with Magnier.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.