News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

UK

Started by Dave_McEwan_Hill, September 16, 2006, 01:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

doonnear = down here?
'fantabidor' i have no idea what that sounds like.

Dave, the nearest to Scotland I have been was to Nottingham.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Nottingham was probably alright but Scotland's much better (and friendlier) - not to mention great dirty jokes!
maigemu

Barde

Quote from: "HUSNAA"doonnear = down here?

You got doonnear right while Fantabidor means Fantastic. I must confess that you must be very intelligent, though its easier when you see it in writing but extremely difficult to understand when you hear them speaking.
im

HUSNAA

Quote from: "Dave_McEwan_Hill"Nottingham was probably alright but Scotland's much better (and friendlier) - not to mention great dirty jokes!
talking of dirty jokes, is it true that scottish warriors used to chase away enemies on the battle field by lifting  their kilts up at the enemy?..... :D  :D  :D

lionger

lol husnaa don't trust anything you hear from The Simpsons :lol:

HUSNAA

Quote from: "Barde"
Quote from: "HUSNAA"doonnear = down here?

You got doonnear right while Fantabidor means Fantastic. I must confess that you must be very intelligent, though its easier when you see it in writing but extremely difficult to understand when you hear them speaking.

I must confess that it was reading the novel Waverley by Scott, and some ballads that got me familiar with some scottish words. I wouldnt have guessed them off the top of my head like that.

HUSNAA

Quote from: "lionger"lol husnaa don't trust anything you hear from The Simpsons :lol:
It wasnt the simpsons lionger. I think I saw it in a film, a comedy. I think it was 'Carry on up the Khyber'.

lionger

Quote from: "HUSNAA"
Quote from: "lionger"lol husnaa don't trust anything you hear from The Simpsons :lol:
It wasnt the simpsons lionger. I think I saw it in a film, a comedy. I think it was 'Carry on up the Khyber'.

Really, I guess it is a common joke. Them Scots do seem to be the butt of many jokes - from the English anyways.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

It's true - only more so. Some Highland clansmen warriors used to take off all their clothes and charge naked.
This wasn't to frighten the enemy(but it usually did), but to allow them to run freely as their garb was a long plaid cloth which wrapped round them and then over their  shoulder and was big enough to make a tent. This garb eventually over time became the kilt
It also prevented their clothing getting stabbed or cut or covered in blood.
Those killed in battle would be carried home in this long plaid.
If you are in a Scottish regiment you are not allowed to wear any underpants under your kilt and the sergeant used to walk along the line at parade with a little mirror fastened to his shoe to inspect that this was so.
maigemu

HUSNAA

Lol Dave!! You live and learn!! :lol:
Was the legend of Sawney Bean based on actual events or just folklore?

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Sawney Bean and his family actually existed in cave in Galloway (south of Scotland) and they killed and ate unfortunate travellers.
maigemu

HUSNAA