News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

‘NYSC member can’t speak English’

Started by Muhsin, May 07, 2008, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafiz amin umar

Muhsin,the issue of english language in nigeria has been a worrying situation right from time immemorial..
  in my oppinion,nigerian learners of the english language are conronted with the difficult task of coming to term with the correct used of the language,firstly,there is a transfer errow as a resul of mother tongue interference,the target of the language too has two manifestation
1.there is no consistency in the grammar of the language
2.there is lack of correspondace between the written form and the spocal form.
  On time a nigerian president wanted to pronounce endevour,he pronounce it as yandaba,so hausas in general are pronouncing english words as if they are pronouncing their own language,except in rare occasion,for the yorubas they cant pronounce the the first letter of the word,hand he will say and,and for igbos they make gaps when pronouncing words in english,TRANS-FOR-TA-TION.In essence the issue of english language problem is not a new thing.
that is why when international media like cnn,bbc are airing programs we hardly understand what they are saying.     

Muhsin

Quote from: hafiz amin umar on June 02, 2008, 12:20:07 PM
In essence the issue of english language problem is not a new thing.

I wholeheartedly believed with all that you have said except the above's quotation. Thats not the case here. Let me say it in almost the same way you said it; In essence, the issue of a graduate not knowing how to either write or speak Engish language is completely a new thing in Nigeria. Why? Simply by looking at it (English) is the language/medium of instruction in Nigerian universities, colleges and even secondaries and primaries (from class 4 to 6, in this case).

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

Quote from: Cekenah on May 15, 2008, 07:34:50 PM
Pardon my indulgences but...

I suppose that it would have been better for King to exchange his 'controversial' views with a declaration of his undying love for Hitler and approval of his near-extinction of the European Jewry, as others have done. Then perhaps he wouldn't get the third degree from  you folks and his capacity to be a useful contributor to the forunm would not be questioned...

Oops, there goes my sarcasm! Now I've unwittingly displaced King as the prime candidate for that villainous ex-forumner of hated memory (and not for the first time..) Quel dommage!

Back to the topic,
King, your pan-africanism is truly off the mark here. A graduate of a Nigerian tertiary institution in this day and age that does not possess at least an average-level command of the English language is an abberation. That's all, folks!

Kai cikenah ka shiga taitayin ka ko kuwa ta sunan naka ka cikenan shikenan. >:(
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

abeeda

salam,
da farko dai no excuse for any graduate of a higher inst. in nig that cant speak english talk less of writing it, na biyu na yi mamaki don zaka ga yan kudu su na yawan yi wa yan arewa kallon basu iya turanci ba har ma wasu suna ganin ba ka kai matsayin su yi ma magana ba, bayan suma su na da matsalar