NAIJA MISSING FROM 2007 WORLD VARSITY RANKINGS

Started by Dan-Borno, January 15, 2008, 09:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

By Segun Olugbile
Published: Tuesday, 15 Jan 2008
For the umpteenth time, no Nigerian university was ranked among the best 200 universities in the 2007 world universities. But the University of Cape Town, South Africa provided a ray of hope for the African continent as it becomes the first institution ever from the continent to be ranked as the 200th best university in the world.

Now in its fourth year, the research is conducted by Quacquarelli Symonds and the rankings are compiled by Times Higher Education Supplement. The report was published late last year.

It revealed some dramatic changes compared with 2006. The THES-QS World University Rankings 2007, the report stated, reflected the internationalisation of higher education around the world, with 27 universities from 14 different countries entering the top 200 for the first time. One of them is the South African university, which shared the 200th position with the RMIT University of Australia.

This challenge is thrown at the Federal Government and the community
of University Lecturers (ASUU in particular).  While the Federal Govt. on
its own part doesnt care much about funding these universities especially
in the areas of infrastructures such as befitting hostel, library, laboratories
and other essential setups.

ASUU kuma banda strike upon strike if government didnt meet up their
demand after 21 days have nothing to offer.  Believe me, more than
50% of our present university lecturers are either unfit for the job or
are supposed to resign due to their (MR LECTURER THING) as Idris
Abdulkarim narrated in his song.

As for parents, alhamdulillah, we are trying, as we pay our tuition fee
each financial year without delay, despite incremen every year.  So also
the students, at least their are serious students who are ready to learn
if given the required knowledge.  Our libraries are full of old stock books,
donated since 1940s, thanks to the internet age, the lucky student
who can afford (Like Yaron Aunty) can browse to get upto date knowledge
only if the lecturer did not sabotage his effort.

So, if after 40something years of independence, and with our clarion call
as the GIANT OF AFRICA, what is the future of education in Nigeria?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Fateez

Ni har na ma daina duba sunan any Nigerian University in the rankings.

Dan Borno it's not only the top 200, we don't make it into the top 500!

We haven't even peeped into the rankings for eons! I keep reiterating on

this forum that what our education sector needs is a serious reform. Not

just the academic staff but also the government. But do they care? NO!

Why is there still no solid negotiation between ASUU and the government?

Because the greedy and selfish crooks in charge just don't give a toss about

the future of the youth. All they care about is that they get their own money

and when the time comes they ship their children overseas to study....Trés Domage!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Muhsin

Wannan labarin come to me with a great surprise and shock, DB. I over-look a situation; what do you think will happen if a man, who did his degree and so on in Nigeria, go to abroad seeking a job? Would they consider his particulars and give him job?

And why only one because I heard many a times that Ghana's universities are very good and other African countries like Egypt and the likes. Don't you think there is selfishness in this ranking?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Dan-Borno

Haba Muhsin, me nason kai kuma, ko kai da kanka
if you critically assess the university system can
as well come to the conclusion that our universities
and other institutions are far below the standard.

Standards in terms of syllabus, teaching infrastructure
and administration both within and outside the university
(NUC and Federal Ministry of Education).  There are
a lot of things, the damage is too much.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

I still doubt it, DB. I talked of Egypt, remember university of Azhar thats there and other universities.

That reminded me of one lecture I attended at Mambayya House when someone, who finished his first degree at BUK and was going to a university abroad, asked Prof. Jega, VC of BUK to tell him the international code of BUK. He shame-facedly told him that it 's none. He asked again why? Prof. Jega told him ai he couldn't even remember any university in African soil that has this code because none had ever appeared on the world universities ranking list.

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

I find it surprising that you guys are expecting a Nigerian University to be among the top 100 in the world.

I can't even set my brain to think we would be in the top 100.
Muna dan kokari amman dai getting in the top 100 na duniya.....no be easy thing wo!

where teaching is opted not because one is interested in lecturing but because he/she just wants a secure job.

where you can meet a lecturer and give him 'something' to pass you

where you can never complete your course in its stipulated time...its always stipulated time + X (where X is an unknown variable)

where students see their lecturers only as wicked people and lecturers see their students as mannerless.

where you have an average of 200 students per lecturer statistics

the list goes on....
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment