News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Should Nigeria Ban Smoking in Public Places?

Started by touche, March 27, 2008, 04:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touche

As Scotland marks its second anniversary of the smoking ban, I can't help but wonder when Nigeria will follow suit. Researchers say that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke, so its only right that the government should enforce measures to protect members of the public.

What do you think?

Dan-Borno

how i wish Nigeria is that organised that it can
ban smoking in public place!  from what i understand,
banning consist of taking strict measures in area
of observation, arrest and subsequent follow up
to allow justice do its work, may be it wont work
here in Nigeria.

In my country Nigeria, people do not help the law
take its cause, an average Nigerian, especially the
northerner never reports any case to the authorities
concern except on rare cases even if it is against
himself talkless of against the State.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

Yes, toche. Don't have much time to respond fully to that but yes and yes. That'll definetly do us more good than you might have imagined or even hoped because as said scholars and doctors; the smoke exhaled by smookers is much more dangereous than the one they inhale. And who are the victims...those sitting beside or near them--innocent, huh.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

The smoking ban in public places (and on buses etc) is working very well in Scotland and it is pleasant now to go into resaurants and clubs and breathe clean air. Scotland had about the highest rate of smoking in the world and about the highest rate of lung cancer and heart attack as a consequence. It is now becoming less acceptable socially to be seen smoking and I think we will see the incvidence of lung and heart disease falling  in years to come.
maigemu