News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

EGOISM MAY IN ITSELF BE AN ALTRUISM!!!

Started by Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu, June 23, 2008, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

All world's religions (Islam, Christianity, Budhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Unitarianism, Zoroastrianism, and so on) do advocate the ethic of 'Reciprocity' or the 'Golden Rule', which says "a person should desire for others what he desires for himself", and that he will be the most just of men.  This is a fundamental moral rule, and the most essential basis for the contemporary so-called concept of human rights. What is egoism? Can an egoist be the most just of men?
     While the Chambers Universal Learners' Dictionary defined the term 'egoism' as (1) a personal pride, and (2) that part of a person that is concious and thinks; the self, the Standard Encyclopedia of Philosophy holds the theory that, egoism (either descriptive: phychological or normative: ethical, rational, solipsism, egoitism), one's self is, or should be, the motivation and the goal of one's own action.
     No matter which way egoism is defined, I would like members of this forum, as well as visitors to this site, to cross finger in this my view, which is: there are millions of people in this our world, whose valeological healthy way of life is engulfed with the above said ethic. Since each individual desires security of person and property, freedom of speech, love and be loved, my stand is that, "to be egocentric in all aspects of life (but having a reciprocity-type of moral conduct) is not an egregious step towards becoming just of men". How do you look at it?
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

HUSNAA

ahem.. Oga.. make una simplify dis mighty big jargons wey u dey pepper dis yr philosophical ques.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Assalamu alaikum Husnaa!!!
                   Many of the 20th century great discoverers did not just go through straight away, but through some jargons!  Jargons to any person that is trying to find out an explanation to a problem are not thrown away, but kept aside, they may afterwards be of use. It is just like you destroying a piece of note, and later looking up and down for some important information therein. So, take it easy, what I wrote may be interested to others.
             Therefore, my sister in Islam, if you found no interest in the topic because it is a bit abstract or no use in what members of this forum discuss, I advice you to either pin-point those areas of concern or keep mute.
                                                      Wassalamu alaikum!
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

HUSNAA

Wa alaikassalaam. To kai kuma ka shigo da hannun dama za ka dafa mu da hannun hagu?
simplify di jargon pls or wait for the likes of Waziri to come along and decode...but u will have a mighty long wait.. but keep checking..
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Assalamu alaikum ya Hajjah Husnaa!
                                               Don Allah ki maida wukar. Ina mai matukar tunanin abubuwan da zasu kawo nace-kace a cikin addinin mu kafin in rubuta wani abu. Koda yake ban fadi wani addini daya ba, abin nake nufi shine: Idan dai mutum zai bi abin da Manzo Mohammad (SAW) yace, wadda ya nuna cewa "addinin mutum ba chikakkene ba, sai ya yiwa dan'uwansa fatan abin da yake wa kansa fata", to in yaso kansa ma ba wani abune ba marar kyau, domin shi mutumin, zan iya cewa chikakkene, kuma ba zai iyawa kansa fatan sharri ba; in ma yaso kansa kuma yayiwa wani fatan wan nan abin, ni dai banga wani laifi ba.  Ba fatana bane in dafa kowa da hannun hagu, kamar yadda kika rubuto.
                                 Wassalamu alaikum
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

Dan-Borno

Kai Fullanin Jeji kacika tsoro.  Kai Fulanin ina ne?
;D ;D ;D ;D ance muku ku koma jeji kuyi abun da
kun saba sai ku shigo harkar ilmi ku dagula komai
da komai  ;D kyale Auntyn Muhsin kin san manyan
masu ilmi sun cika rikita kwakwalwar mu masu
kanan ilmi.

Oya our able Dr. continue muna sauraronka, its very
interesting defining oneself, because the more you
understand this concept the easier for you to take
on with other people.

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

Welcome (back) aboard.

At first instance I didn't consider that post as gibberish rather 'just above me', and thats why I couldn't digest it aright. But I almost now do because even our big Auntie (Husnaa) says sth like its just a bunch of jargons. so, bother Abbas, pls try and simply ur language for the better understanding of the forum members.

Thanks
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

ummita

Ahhh!  I remember, 7yrs ago, I attempted a difficult seminar assessment, which not inline with my field but questioned moral theory and ethical egoism & its altruism. I hated it and I scored a very poor mark(hiss).
Anyway, I do not know much about this Mallam Abbas, but I will briefly discuss what "I THINK" your  thread is "likely" or "might" be about.

So you are saying that can a person be a narcissist as long as his/her moral conduct is not a bad step in becoming a 'just' person?.............. If this is close to what the topic is discussing,  then personally, I think it is an unjust mean for millions of people to sink deep into the egoism ethic. This is cus egoists do not to an extent appreciate d view of moral conduct as supported if I remember well by the utilitarianism & Kantianism theories.  Egoism is all about self-centeredness, looking at ur own self interest & having no regards for anyone. Such persons are always thinking of themselves first in everything they do, which is an act of complete (selfishness)!! How is the world then meant to flourish and take that bold step in becoming 'just' when narcissists in order to gain their desires are running slippery slopes even at the expense of others?.............. If humans should orient themselves toward their own welfare "only", having that self love for just themselves, it could very possibly mean the world will be suffocated with acts of entire selfish desires, acts that lack benevolence and devoids legitimate feelings of kindness or a sense of compassion. If this is true, one could be of the view that ego-centricity ineviatably & obviously paves & creates room for an egregarious step in becoming an 'unjust' person.............And I cant even seem to focus my mind on someone who is so self-centered to have any sense of being reciprocal. Its simply unimaginable. But see, moral reasonings /moral common sense supports the notion that man should give consideration 2 d interest of others.  A self-centered man for instance takes all credit 4 whatever he does or partakes in doing. Whilst moral theorists supports that atleast he/she should consider those who have helped. Why then should I be motivated by self-interest and consider it a step in being a 'just' person instead of having that sense of moral conduct? Oh.........can I also say that vanity is not limited to men, because as you put it: "ppl in this our world", and that includes women abi?

All in all, if this is not what the topic is related to ayi hankuri but I'd reckon u try breakin it down & see the surmountable responses that will come ur way. Meanwhile, let me shift to my corner.

Chei! Muhsin, make wuna leave di man alone ah! ;D

Quote from: Dan-Borno on June 24, 2008, 01:07:54 PM
Kai Fullanin Jeji kacika tsoro.  Kai Fulanin ina ne?
;D ;D ;D ;D ance muku ku koma jeji kuyi abun da
kun saba sai ku shigo harkar ilmi ku dagula komai
da komai  ;D
Had it been not for the kunyah sakanin first daughter dah Baffan tah, da na giyamaka mind nawa fa! >:( >:( >:( >:( Anyway  :-X
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

I am at least happy that, some people were able to say their minds, after all it's a discussion forum! I would also like to say that "every human being is a philosophical animal", and can try to think otherwise, agaist existing theories. What others observe (positive or negative) and make comments on his (may be elusive) ideas, can help in resolving many of the problems in the very stance he is trying to explore. I do agree that, egoism is all about self-centeredness; an individual resorts to his own interest and has no regards, whatsoever for anyone else's. Nevertheless, the human mind, habits; character, are never static - a day may be one, when a selfish mind, upon considering the wisdom of the sayings of the Holy beings, changes to the better.
                      Wassalamu alaikum!
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~