News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Jos Ethno/Religious Conflict

Started by Muhsin, November 30, 2008, 03:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Rival mobs kill 400 people in brutal clashes
(0) 30.November 2008, 13:27

Residents delivered bodies to the mosque in the central Nigerian city of Jos on Sunday, bringing the death toll from two days of clashes between Muslim and Christian gangs to around 400 people. Rival ethnic and religious mobs have burned homes, shops, mosques and churches in fighting triggered by a disputed local election.

It is the country's worst unrest for years. Riots started in Jos, a city at the crossroads of Nigeria's Muslim north and Christian south.

Murtala Sani Hashim, who has been registering the dead as they are brought to the city's main mosque, told Reuters he had listed 367 bodies and more were arriving. Ten corpses wrapped in blankets, two of them infants, lay behind him.

"Gunshot wounds, machete injuries, those are the two main types," Dr Aboi Madaki, director of clinical services at Jos University Teaching Hospital, told Reuters.

The overall toll was expected to be higher, with some victims already buried and others taken to other clinics.

The violence appeared to die down on Sunday. Soldiers patrolled on foot and in jeeps to enforce a 24-hour curfew imposed on the worst-hit areas. People who ventured out walked with their hands in the air to show they were unarmed.

"They are still picking up dead bodies outside. Some areas were not reachable until now," said Al Mansur, a 53-year-old farmer who said all the homes around his had been razed.

Overturned and burnt-out vehicles littered the streets while several churches, a block of houses and an Islamic school in one neighbourhood were gutted by fire.

The Red Cross said around 7,000 people had fled their homes and were sheltering in government buildings, an army barracks and religious centres. A senior police official said five neighbourhoods had been hit by unrest and 523 people detained.

SIMMERING TENSIONS

Nigeria's 140 million people are roughly equally split between Muslims and Christians and the two communities generally live peacefully side by side.

But ethnic and religious tensions in the country's central "Middle Belt" have bubbled for years, rooted in resentment from indigenous minority groups, mostly Christian or animist, towards migrants and settlers from the Hausa-speaking Muslim north.

The latest clashes between gangs of Muslim Hausas and mostly Christian youths began early on Friday and were provoked by a disputed local election after rumours spread that the ANPP party candidate backed by Hausas had lost the race to the ruling PDP.

"It's religious. They were burning mosques and churches. They used politics as a cover-up," said Suleyman Yusuf, a Muslim from the Yoruba ethnic group, two of whose friends were killed.

Tags
Obasanjo Nigeria Oil delta clashes unrest Muslim Hausa Christian Berom Jos Plateau Yusuf was sheltering with some 4,000 men, women and children -- Christian and Muslim, and from a variety of ethnic groups -- in a national drug agency building set up by aid workers.

Hundreds were killed in ethnic-religious fighting in Jos, the capital of Plateau state, in 2001. Hundreds more died in 2004 in clashes in Yelwa, also in Plateau, leading then-President Olusegun Obasanjo to declare an emergency.

Unrest in the state has in the past triggered reprisal attacks between different ethnic and religious groups in other areas of the country.

But the security forces appear to have reacted more quickly than in the past to contain the violence in Jos, with the army sending in reinforcements from neighbouring states.

http://www.welt.de/english-news/article2806291/Rival-mobs-kill-400-people-in-brutal-clashes.html

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

This sad. I wonder when people will stop thinking about religious vendetta, identity struggle and tribalism. They always use these to commit the most heinous crimes against humanity. At 21st century we are still living with these problems. Allah ya sauwake Malam Muhsin.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

gogannaka

It is quite unfortunate how our politicians treat politics with such carelessness.
They knew that Jos is a volatile state and yet they went ahead to conduct elections without adequate security.
This shows you the kind of leaders we have. Why in the name of God would you allow innocent people to be killed because you want to become local govt chairman?

They should know that they will account for every single life lost and the sin will haunt them down forever.

I was told of a woman brought from Jos. She is out of her senses now because she saw her husband and two children slaughtered like goats. Imagine such madness.

May they never enjoy their lives again....the culprits.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Wallahi since I learned of the happening--the merciless killings of purely innocent people up there, I nurtured a feeling that I can't describe on that day and even beyond. That is utterly sad indeed, inhuman and madness. And gov't, of both Federal and  especially state are to be blamed, and rightly.

Moreover, I don't wanna sound bias but I would like to say; we Muslims have metaphorically really been sleeping. And we should not be that. We consider the saying 'muyi tanadi' with great cavalier. Thats why we are...gosh, in that crisis.

Although I don't wanna such to happen again but...mts!!!
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

amira

Mts... daya ko biyu muhsin this is just jahilici wanda yafi hauka.
mutane basa ma ko jin kunya ko tsoro going round killing innocent
people har da yara da rashin imani......kaico ( shakes head)
dont know what to say...........
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

gogannaka

The Governor should resign.
He is so insensitive. Imagine he was about to swear in the selected Chairmen during the crisis period.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on December 06, 2008, 06:39:34 PM
The Governor should resign.

Look at what happened in Mumbai, India. But the interior minister and host of other ppl resigned as a result. Amma he (Jang) rather 'stay put' don rashin kunya.

Any way, meye gaskiyar cewar he's in house arrest? And the police commisioner was taken from the state?