News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Heavy Tension in Kano - between Hisbah and 'Yan Acaba

Started by sdanyaro, December 15, 2005, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdanyaro

Assalamu alaikum;

I have notice over the last couple of days, an increasing tension between Hisbah & 'YanDaba on one side, and the 'Yan Acaba (Commercial Motorcyclists)
on the other side. Some of the 'Yan Acaba are resisting the enforcement of a ban on conveyance of female on motorcycles which started last Monday...

I am however supprised as the apparent "cooperation" between the Hisbah and the 'Yan Daba in this case...

Where does the Police stand on this one?

alhaji_aminu

Salam

I read about this in the papers too and I am sorry to say, the Hisba- and by extension, the govt, is at fault here. I am fully aware of the law enacted in the state legislature through which the Hisba derive their power to insist that yan-achaba don't ferry women to and fro.

But, but, I sincerely think unless govt provides an alternative means of transportating the millions of poor women, who, by the way would rather not use Achaba if given the chance, there is no way this law will hold because many people will lack mobility which will further entrench the endemic poverty we are all witnessing in the city.

The solution too is a hard one. One, the govt can 'ci magani' and force upon the yan-achaba it's might in enforcing the law but this will obviously do no good as everyone knows, yan achaba can raise hell at a moment's notice when they feel slighted. Else, the govt could buy (as they have "started") buses that will convey women, kids and families. This, however, will cost billions and I doubt if govt has the means to see it through.

So what should be done? I say the law should be postponed in the mean time until such a point where all, especially the women being protected, feel the govt has provided enough buses to take care of the situation.

The simplest solution I could think of might as well be the most controversial. I mean, can't govt get some women to become "yar achaba" ko kuma "yar tasi" too? (I have heard that there are taxi drivers in Iran so this might not be that outlandish).
It is said, after all, that, "what a man can do, a woman can do better". I tend to believe this is true (not absolutely though- a little bit of fuzzy logic here, ehn?).

Allah dai ya sawwake!

sdanyaro

alhaji_aminu,

A lot of "A Daidaita Sahu" 's Motorcycles and Automobiles were destroyed by the 'Yan a cabas

It seems to me that it is the females that were more determined... I saw one lady that refused to disembark from the Motorcycle and was giving the Hisbah a very hard time.
It also seems to me that most of the females that do want to flex their muscle regarding this issue, look like they are from the Kano and its environment not "Baki" from other parts of Nigeria.

Usually, agents of the government (Local or State) are the ones that gave out most of the motorcycles. They always give out Motorcycles, but hardly give out Educational Scholarships.

I also think that there are just way too many Motorcycles in Kano, where traffic laws are generally not obeyed and traffic infrastructure is inadequate for the number of motorcycles and automobiles on the roads...

_Waziri_

Quote from: "sdanyaro"Usually, agents of the government (Local or State) are the ones that gave out most of the motorcycles. They always give out Motorcycles, but hardly give out Educational Scholarships.

That is just that! Had they been empowering the youths to be able to maximally contain the challenges of the 21st century there wouldn't be enough people to complain about this half-thought-out laws cos many will own a car or a motorcycle to carry there sisters and wives around town.

It is like the Shari'a implementation commitees need to go back to drawing boards but I am sorry to say most of us are very poor strategists in this regard. It makes me weep endlessly. I ask those nagging questions: Why WE?? always.

sdanyaro

_Waziri_

What did the law says about a motorcyclist carrying their sisters and wives around town?

What is the penalty or penalties of breaking this law?

What criteria should be used by the Hisba on the spot, to verify that the female being carried by the motorcyclist are their sisters and or wives?

.... having the law is one thing, but implementation of the law is another thing ?

Do you think that this law is implementable?

bakangizo

I see nothing wrong in stopping 'Yan Achabas rom carrying women around. Any self respecting person would not like to see his/her sister/mother/wife  on these bikes, driven by semi-concuous men usually under the influence of marijuana and/or 'sholusho'. The govt has provided alternative means of transportation for ladies in the form of hundred of  buses and tri-cycles. They may not be enough but I learnt plans were already concluded to buy more. I commend the state govt. for having the gut to at least confront the 'yan achabas head-on. They have recently constituted themselves unto a dangerous phenomenom, killing and maiming at 'will' on a daily basis. Most states govts in the country would willing ban them. No one is safe from them; from motorists to pedestrians. I really hope this is the first step towards regulating/checking their excesses.

mallamt

The use of achabas by people is not by choice but out of necessity.  I think I agree with must writers on the subject and more so with _waziri_ when he says we lack any sense of strategic thinking.  I will as a simple question what makes the use of achaba a crime for women and not a crime for men?  will a strategy of flooding the metropolise with alternative transportation system not work better?  It is highly concievable that should there be an effective alternative public transport system people (both men and women) will not take achaba but will use the alternative transport sytem, we will then not even need to pass a law against the use of achaba by women.  It is a pity that we are spending precious time legislating for women not riding achabas while not legislating for compulsary schooling for children and banning begging, banning child labour in the form of children who spend their days on the streets of kano selling goods instead of being at school, protection of the girl child who is forced into marriage at the age of 12 or 13 etc.  We spend our time being worried about adult women who out of desperation have to use acahbas in pursing their livelehoods for themselves and their families. Yet still we will have folks who will refuse to even consider these issues even the govt that should have provided alternative transport systems will be pointing fingers and wanting to haras and arrest the unfortunate women.  Well it will get to a point one day when the centre can not hold may God help us!!  We have a completely warp sense of priorities and only God can help us

neozizo

I also agree that the ruling on women and motocycles,though to a certain extent good, a typical example of misplaced and ill planned priority.
Most women as well as men patronize achabas unwillingly but only as a result of its neccessity.
Untill when a relable and efficient alternative is made available nd abundant i think MALLAM and his legislators should temporarily shelf the law and concentrate on reducing the level of childlabor and street begging by our people.
Last time i was in Kano i was pleasently surprised to see some adai-data sahu trycyles and buses,please what has become of them?

sdanyaro

Bakan~Gizo & zizo

What you say is right about the ?Yan acabas in Kano? I agree with you whole heartily that to me they constitute a nuisance on the streets, roads and ?Lungunan? Kano. Somebody told me that there are in excess of one million registered motorcycles in Kano. Most of these ?Yan Acabas are not from Kano.

Again a lot of these motorcycles are given out free by Local and State Government Agents and agencies. What to do about this?

There are many parts (Lungunan) of Kano that even the ?A Daidaita Sahu? Supplied Tricycles  can not drive in out of? thanks to the effective town planning that is only seems interested in Curve-outs and Shops. What to do about this?

These ?A Daidaita Sahu? Supplied Tricycles and Automobiles are less than a year now. I really doubt very much that they will all be in an operative condition in the next 2 to 3 years from now. This is because of the government tract record in the area of maintenance and continuity of projects such as these. What to do about this?

mallamt
The issue of ?Yan Acaba and that of begging on the streets and lungunan Kano are related even if not directly. At least on one point is the fact that the majority of begging being done in Kano has increased drastically because of the Begging-friendly policies of Kano. Likewise the ?Yan Acaba-friendly activities or the lack of regulations of the ?Yan Acabas in Kano has made Kano to be both Beggars and ?yan Acaba Magnet among many other attraction to Kano. When you want to start a begging or Acaba businesses, Kano is the destination of choice for all, from all over the Country and other countries in West Africa.

QuoteWell it will get to a point one day when the centre can not hold may God help us!! We have a completely warp sense of priorities and only God can help us
I think we are tittering on the barge of  Anarchy!

alhaji_aminu

Salam

It is amazing to know that there is upwards of 1 million motorcycles in Kano. One can only imagine the untold damage they are wreaking by way of polluting the environment with all its attendant consequences. The main problem with motorcyclist today, I think, is less with the trade of achaba as it is with the practitioners.

The law banning yan achaba carrying women is, in my opinion, a law that doesn't conform to the exigencies of modern day Kano. That is to say govt hasn't 'dotted all tees' required for the smooth implementation of this law before bringing it into force.  I always find the gradual prohibition of alcohol in Islam a very good example of managing profound issues in the society like Kano is wishing to. But sadly, Kano did too little too late.

Lastly, the question that ought to be asked is how did this menace start and why? The answer is simple: Poverty. And like Waziri said, if govt has lived up to its resposibility, then this dangerous problem wouldn't have arisen.
To answer Waziri's question of why us, I will simply point him to our schools.....

bakangizo

I still believe the ban on carrying women on achaba is right. I agree that achaba was initially borne out poverty and unemployment. Not anymore. You find out that these bikes are shipped to Kano in thousands on a daily basis. Due to sheer laziness of mallam bahaushe, the simplest business now is achaba. You don't need any creativity or hard work. Just acquire one. Some of these bikes cost up to N100,000.00. You can set up a good biz with that. It is also the easiest form of gift by politicians now.

It is very wrong to allow a dangerous situation to continue just 'cos "there's unemployment and the situation is created by succesive govts". You can't allow these people to continue to operate the way they like.

If I may ask, how do women (and men)  transport themselves before the advent of achaba? Why is it now a basic necessity  that women (or men) cannot survive without?

I want to remind people that before this ban, the govt made sure that an alternative (adaidata sahu tricycles & buses) was provided for women. They may not be enough now but at least that shows it was not a haphazard or thoughless law.

mlbash

Quote from: "mallamt"The use of achabas by people is not by choice but out of necessity.  I think I agree with must writers on the subject and more so with _waziri_ when he says we lack any sense of strategic thinking.  I will as a simple question what makes the use of achaba a crime for women and not a crime for men?  will a strategy of flooding the metropolise with alternative transportation system not work better?  It is highly concievable that should there be an effective alternative public transport system people (both men and women) will not take achaba but will use the alternative transport sytem, we will then not even need to pass a law against the use of achaba by women.  It is a pity that we are spending precious time legislating for women not riding achabas while not legislating for compulsary schooling for children and banning begging, banning child labour in the form of children who spend their days on the streets of kano selling goods instead of being at school, protection of the girl child who is forced into marriage at the age of 12 or 13 etc.  We spend our time being worried about adult women who out of desperation have to use acahbas in pursing their livelehoods for themselves and their families. Yet still we will have folks who will refuse to even consider these issues even the govt that should have provided alternative transport systems will be pointing fingers and wanting to haras and arrest the unfortunate women.  Well it will get to a point one day when the centre can not hold may God help us!!  We have a completely warp sense of priorities and only God can help us

i'll rather say all those that base their argument on the basis of 'lalura' are baseless! the key point here is that before the proliferation of the achabas, how do they transport themselves? i mean the ladies! so there is no any excuse whatsoever,except may be 'san rai'
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

mallamt

mlbash

what are you really saying?  before achabas the public transportation system was much better than it is now!!! in other words mlbash before achabas there was a public transport system that could be used and pople had no need for achabas.  Achabas in nigeria (they are present in all states of the federation) are as a result of very poor and most times very dangerous public transport system (we may even say a non existant public transport system).  I do not know how many people in the forum remember kanoline (I hope I am correct with the name) I think it was established during the time of the late Audu Bako or just after him, which was one of the best public transport system in nigeria in its time.

bakangizo

Quote from: "mallamt"mlbash
what are you really saying?  before achabas the public transportation system was much better than it is now!!! in other words mlbash before achabas there was a public transport system that could be used and pople had no need for achabas...
What was the public transportation system then that do not exixt now? :roll:  Were people not using buses and taxis before? Don't we have them now? Get your fact straight, pls. Let me re-iterate what mlbash said: 'Son rai ne kawai na mutane'. Before achaba we were transporting ourselves in and around the metropolis in buses and taxis, which we still have in their thousands. In fact, most bus and taxi drivers will tell you 'ana karancin fasinjoji domin kowa ya koma hawa achaba' Tell me why it is now a necessity of life that we must use achaba.

mallamt wrote:

Wato hana mata hawa achaba don kare mutuncin su yadda addini ya tanadar ya zama 'warped sense of priority' ? Careful with such utterances, :wink:

mallamt

QuoteWato hana mata hawa achaba don kare mutuncin su yadda addini ya tanadar ya zama 'warped sense of priority' ? Careful with such utterances,
First there is nothing to be careful about!!! I still maintain it we have a warped sense of priority.  By the way kafi matayen nan son kansu ne? idon za su shiga gari kan achaba bayan anada motochin hawa su suka giyo ina ruwan ka? Ka dubi naka kawai ka tabatar chewa kai baka zubar da mutuncin ka ba!!!!

Public transport with a level of state interest is obviously completely different from that ran by private enterprise!!!  Private sector will run purely on commercial grounds while a public sector will be abit more socially responsive! What you call "several buses and taxis" run only in areas that they will be profit and charge their rates to make a route commercially viable (even if the distance does not justify the amount) not necessarily to render a "social" service.  Now when the rates are out of reach of people or the system is not effective (have you tried to count how many stops they make between two point) or their decision to only ply certain roads or routes because the other road is not tarred or the traffic to much etct (achaba will take you any where irrespective of road conditions or traffic).  Now when we talk public transport system we talk about city buses or taxis that have to cover routes and charge a decent and affordable rate not driven by excessive profits (as you seen with the same taxis and buses you mentioned) for the ordinary masses.  This will even force govt ro repair and upgrade roads so that they can be plyed.