News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Exam: A Test of Knowledge?

Started by Muhsin, July 15, 2006, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Apparently, Scholars and general public on the term ?exam? a diverse, opinionated and deep-thinkers group were at one with one another in their view on it, and this view is that: its purpose is to test someone?s knowledge on spoken or written aspects. I am an exception on that matter, really exception. The exception that proves the rule is a certain experience I recently gained.

Viz.:

Despite my friend?s remarkable hunker-down to pass his exam for re-making his past deficiency, he lugubriously failed to re-make it and wonderingly enough, some of his student whom they coincidently sat that very exam together fortunately made it well.

Thus, this odd against odds enfeebled incalculable numbers of peoples? effort and hope toward the thought of passing exam. It also built a tangible remonstrative feeling in me on what others are saying about exam as the test of knowledge.

Sincerely, who is then supposed to be blamed? Himself? Exam body? Or God?

I, as an individual with a unique mood of acceptance and comprehension, think that the reason behind this is a case that needs not to blame anybody. Exam is not a test of knowledge but lucky, so, just pray to be lucky at the moment of marking your scripts.

This is my view my fellow good people. What?s yours?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

Exam is luck not a test of knowledge ko?
To. if u say so. As far as I can make out, ur life is an exam itself, which u wish and need to pass. You cant pass it until u acquire the knowledge of how to live it well.  If u enter the grave and Munkar and Nakeer ask u
'man rabbuka?' I guess u will rely on luck to get u through the correct answer and not yr previous knowledge of it?
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Muhsin

Quote from: "HUSNAA"Exam is luck not a test of knowledge ko?
To. if u say so. As far as I can make out, ur life is an exam itself, which u wish and need to pass. You cant pass it until u acquire the knowledge of how to live it well.  If u enter the grave and Munkar and Nakeer ask u
'man rabbuka?' I guess u will rely on luck to get u through the correct answer and not yr previous knowledge of it?

Greetings,
You a little bit make me laugh a little. By the way, i don't a total luck but please re-read my post, you may gist it's meaning more i think.....ok?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

I perfectly got yr meaning. What u are talking about is that exams are not marked strictly according to input. Rather some ppl get marked down for no reason, even though they got  the correct answers and under normal circumstances they should pass. So they are the unlucky ones. At the same time, there are some who dont know a thing yet manage to pass.
What i am trying to point out to you in my post is that exams are a test of one's knowledge.
The fact that in Nigeria and other parts of Africa, one fails while one should have passed is an abberation and one of the signs of the breakdown of the educational system in Nigeria. I dont know if ur friend is a university student or not, but I will let u in on some of what some unscrupulous lecturers do. supposing a lecturer has  1000 scripts to mark. He will divide them into two sets, then make a sort of lottery to decide which set gets marked as passed scripts and which as failed scripts. So anyone unlucky enough to have his script in the failed set, automatically gets a carryover. Despite that, exams still remain a test of knowledge by definition and in the general run of things.
PS - glad to know my first post was humorous. That was the general idea.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

neozizo

A common clich? is 'exams are not a true test of Knowledge'. This is particularly true in ideal organized societies and even more so in ours as Husnaa has rightly pointed out where we have compounding problems such as incompetence, inadequate resources, un ethical practices nepotism etc.
But I maintain that when a student is hopelessly bad or exceptionally good exams will appropriately expose this.
JUst curious,Muhsin,what do examiners think of your writing skills?and do u think their verdict is fair?

Muhsin

Salam,
I sincerely don't have enough time to reply your question now, but i vow later.
Thanks you both-expecially Husna for her sheer understanding of my post.

Cheers!