News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Ahmed S. Nuhu

Started by HUSNAA, January 03, 2007, 05:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

He was a Hausa actor. But who was he really? The first time I heard of him was the announcement of his death. Will anyone write a short biography on the deceased? Allah Ya jikan sa.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Abdalla

Ahmed S. Nuhu – An Obtiuary

Ahmed S. Nuhu, a Hausa video film star, a pure Fulani boy from Jos. His paternal grandmother was from Tofa, Kano (where his father was born before the family relocated later to Jos where Ahmed was born). His maternal grandmother was from Nguru in Yobe State. His mother was born in Kano, although her parents were from Maiduguri. When Ali Nuhu was studying in the University of Jos (Geography), he stayed in a house owned by Ahmed S. Nuhu's grandfather at Tudun Miyare. The relationship between  the two was developed from there. It is not clear how old he was, because most of the Hausa video film stars rarely disclose their ages in interviews.

He started developing interest in Hausa video films at an early age – and at a time when it was not particularly popular. His father, being ill, could hardly support his studies (in secondary school), and his relatives, who were not happy with young Ahmed's foray into the video film industry often refuse to assist him. In desperation, he turned into a motorcyle taxi driver (achaba) to earn enough money to sustain his schooling. After his secondary school, he joined a relative of his who is s long distant truck transporter to Onitsha (from Jos). Eventually young Ahmed became a truck driver himself, especially as he had to return some goods from Onitsha initially to Jos, and later to Kano and Maiduguri.  He entered into the Hausa video film industry through Ali Nuhu. In an interview with Fim (July 2002, p. 21) Ahmed S. Nuhu stated that Ali Nuhu was his mother's junior brother. According to another  interview he gave, Ahmed S. Nuhu suggested that the film, Sansani (by Ali Nuhu) was based on his life story.

Duk mai son ya san wanene S. Nuhu , kuma ya rayuwarsa ta ke, ya nemi Sansani idan ya fito) Tauraruwa, New Series, Volume 1, no 5, 2003, p. 16.

In 2003 MTN determined that Ahmed S. Nuhu was the 7th person in Nigeria to receive the highest number of calls in the year.

The best testimony of his brilliant acting was in Huznee, directed by Hafizu Bello. Ahmed S. Nuhu appeared as a deranged estranged lover, giving a brialliant career performance on the same par as Tony Curtis' in The Boston Strangler. Ahmed S. Nuh go the Best Supporting Actor for this role. Huznee, despite being approrpriated from two Hind films (Agni Shakshi, 1996 and Daraar, 1971) remained one of the most significant points in Hausa video film cinema due to the sheer panache displayed by the lead actor, Ahmed S. Nuhu. No other Hausa videlo film actor of his generation has been able to display his level of commitment to a role in front of a camera.

Without any doubt Ahmed S. Nuhu was the best actor of his generation. That he had never received best actor award was because of he was constantly in the shadow of his mentor, Ali Nuhu who was the main portal through which Ahmed S. Nuhu entered the Hausa video film industry. In restrospect, it was clear that Ahmed S. Nuhu's humility, obedience and total respect he had for almost everyone he came into contact with contributed to his shadow status under Ali Nuhu.

His death from a ghastly motor accident along Kano-Azare road on the New Year's day is a testimony on the fraility of life, and a sad loss to his family, his teeming fans, and most definitely to the Hausa video film industry.

Hanwa_Forum.

Fateez

When NTA announced his death they said

he was 27 yrs old. Allah ya jikanshi

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

HUSNAA

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

bakangizo

QuoteIn 2003 MTN determined that Ahmed S. Nuhu was the 7th person in Nigeria to receive the highest number of calls in the year.
That coincides with the time my brother told me MTN gave Ahmad S. Nuhu some months "free calls" . I wondered why then. Now I know. Those of us who watch hausa films know him to be a very good actor, especially those comedy roles. The MTN record is a testimony of how good he was. Allah ya jikansa, amin.

Dan-Borno

I couldnt belive when I heard the story, because that morning I gave two of my brothers some money as gate fee, that S. Nuhu is coming to perform in Maiduguri.........

I dont want to talk about it!!!!!!!!!

May His gentle soul rest in perfect peace, mu kuma Allah ya kyautata karshen mu da dukkan musulman duniya.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak