News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Must Read Novels, pls!

Started by GoodFella, December 24, 2007, 05:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fateez

Quote from: Dave_McEwan_Hill on April 15, 2008, 11:33:38 PM
The best book I ever read was titled "Strumpet City" by James Plunkett. It is a story of Dublin during the Irish rebellion against British rule. It will make you laugh and it will make you cry. Awesome!
Any mention of "Half a Yellow Moon". It is a very Igbo story about the Civil War and it won some prizes. I don't think most Kano Onliners would very much enjoy it.

Dave do you mean Half of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie? I came across it

sometime last year and decided not to read it because War = depressing. Later it

won the Orange Fiction Prize and I was like Shoot! I should have read it! Anyways

I heard it was great and I'm on a long list to read it. She also has another one

Purple Hibiscus which also won a few prizes. She's gifted!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Yeah. That's the one. Great book but very much from the Igbo point of view about the war.
She has a web page running on it to which anyone can subscribe. Find it by scrolling in Half a Yellow Sun in Google.
maigemu

Muhsin

The girl (uh...lady) is very brilliant. I some time read about her works in DailyTrust Newspaper Bookshelf. She like miraclously inherit literary knowledge from the house they lived in while in Nigeria. You know the great Achebe vacated the house, which eventually her family came to reside in afterward.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

babushe

1-THE FAMISHED ROAD, SONGS OF ENCHANTMENT, ASTONINISHG THE GODS, STARBOOK AND TALES OF FREEDOM all by the Nigerian Booker Prize winner BEN OKRI. you can purchase STARBOOK  from his Nigerain publisher Farafina
(www.kachifo.com)

Tales of Freedom is OKRI's LATEST its narrative style is a mixture of short story and haiku, the japanese poetry form, he called that stokkus Okri is an enigma A MUST READ.

2-MEASURING TIME BY HELON NABILA. Habila hails from Gombe and the has won the Caine prize for African writing and a commonwealth writers prize.Contact his Nigerian publisher(cassavarepublic.biz)

3-ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE , MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES BY THE Nobel laureate GABRIEL GARCIA MARUEZ.

A YI KARATU LAFIYA.

Muhsin

Salam,

Welcome aboard, babushe.

Well, thanks for the list and the little info on these authors.

It might be surprising if I say I've neither read any of these novels nor the work of these writers. But I'll soon, inshaAllah, do that. Thanks once again.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

GoodFella

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
— Og Mandino (Motivational Author & Speaker)

Muhsin

Hey there! Do we have fans of the Master Storyteller, the author of many unputdownables, the great Mario Puzo? I supposed we do have. He's many a time more known by his "magnum opus", The Godfather. I'll recommend you to go and read Omerta. This's yet another excellent work, which is rather sadly not known by his many fans as being a good one. There's again The Sicilian. Happy reading.

bakangizo

Quote from: Muhsin on September 13, 2011, 05:33:25 PM
Hey there! Do we have fans of the Master Storyteller, the author of many unputdownables, the great Mario Puzo? I supposed we do have. He's many a time more known by his "magnum opus", The Godfather. I'll recommend you to go and read Omerta. This's yet another excellent work, which is rather sadly not known by his many fans as being a good one. There's again The Sicilian. Happy reading.

Coincidentally I'm reading currently reading The Sicilian. ;) I'm a big fan of Mario Puzo. IIRC, I first read book The Godfather in 1991. Then later on The Last Don and Fools Die. The word 'Omerta', which means the code of silence in turbulent, mafia-controlled Sicily at that period, has been referred to numerous times in his novels. He finally decided to write a novel with it as the title. It is his last novel also, if am not mistaken.

Muhsin

Quote from: bakangizo on September 14, 2011, 09:37:41 AM
Coincidentally I'm currently reading The Sicilian. ;) I'm a big fan of Mario Puzo. IIRC, I first read book The Godfather in 1991. Then later on The Last Don and Fools Die. The word 'Omerta', which means the code of silence in turbulent, mafia-controlled Sicily at that period, has been referred to numerous times in his novels. He finally decided to write a novel with it as the title. It is his last novel also, if am not mistaken.

Coincidence, exactly. You are right; the novel was published posthumously.

You read The Godfather since 1991? Wow! I started primary school a year after.  ;D

bakangizo

Quote from: Muhsin on September 14, 2011, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: bakangizo on September 14, 2011, 09:37:41 AM
Coincidentally I'm currently reading The Sicilian. ;) I'm a big fan of Mario Puzo. IIRC, I first read book The Godfather in 1991. Then later on The Last Don and Fools Die. The word 'Omerta', which means the code of silence in turbulent, mafia-controlled Sicily at that period, has been referred to numerous times in his novels. He finally decided to write a novel with it as the title. It is his last novel also, if am not mistaken.

Coincidence, exactly. You are right; the novel was published posthumously.

You read The Godfather since 1991? Wow! I started primary school a year after.  ;D

Ashe dai mun tsufa  ;D